DLA (Disability Living Allowance)

Is anyone else's baby/child on this? Damien has just been awarded the highest rate for disability and needing more attention than a 'normal' baby (there is middle rate and lower rate). This is because of his reflux and his apnoea attacks with the need for a breathing monitor.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about it though to be honest. I'm happy as it's alot of extra money (and has increased our housing benefit by double on the basis of having a disabled child, and our Child Tax Credits by almost double too) or sad because my little baby is now classed as disabled. I guess I always see him as just Damien - premature but my baby and he seems normal to me. Being covered in sick is normal and me sleeping light at night in fear of being woken by an alarm - but the DLA decision has made me realise how much he isn't like other 'normal' babies.

I know it sounds mad that I'm sad bout getting so much more money, but I'm sad becasue my baby is classed in a different catagory to all other 'normal' babies. I knew when he was born premature that we would have obstacles to overcome, but I didn't realise this would be one of them, and a tough one to take in.

Does anyone else get this for their baby/child and understand where I am coming from? :(

Hi

Hun we dont have that but my parents had all 4 of us premature there first one was still born and i was 3 lbs , my sis 4 and my bro was barely 5 . My sis and i were in hospital for the first few months and my sister having to have a major stomach operation.
We are now 21, 19 and 18 and healthy as can be.
So although he is having troubles now im sure he will be like everyother child in a few years.
xxx HUGS
Katrina

(((hugs))) Sami. Although he might be classed as disabled, he sounds like he's coming on in leaps from your other posts. Christ he's even rolling, which Ella can't do and she was full term!

Hi Sami

I haven't gone through this but I understand where you're coming from.
You just have to think that this is temporary until he's older. The extra money means you can spend more time helping him through the difficult months and not worrying about bills etc and should take some stress off.

Hugs
Louise

If you don't class him as disabled it doesn't matter what the DSS class him as, if they want to give you extra money then that's great, but Damien is Damien and he's perfect :D

Kim said:
If you don't class him as disabled it doesn't matter what the DSS class him as, if they want to give you extra money then that's great, but Damien is Damien and he's perfect :D

Could have written that myself Kim! - I agree Sami, if the DSS want to give you more money so you can buy Damien all the nice things in life, so be it - Damien will always be just Damien to you and no label by the DSS can change that. He is beautiful and perfect in every way.

Awww thank you so much for your replies girls - had me in tears! You're right, he is my Damien still, and he is doing great, and if they wanna give us more money then all the better for an easier life for us.

Thanks for understanding and letting me moan :)

Charlie has been on middle rate for 4 years now, she had bad toilet problems, would hold her poo in for up to 2 to 3 weeks then be in pain and have to go to hospital for a clear out. she was in heavy meds for a while to.
getting DLA incresed the child tax credit too, and i got carers allowence weekly for her.

she is finaly gotten better so i have stopped the DLA now, but we have lost £500 a month which is a big blow!

xx

I've just got my new award for Tax Credits, and it's alot more than I was expecting. I also am gonna get carer's allowance as he is on the highest rate. Still wish he didnt get this and that he was healthy BUT it does lighten the financial load for us, and now Damien can have absolutely everything he needs without us being skint.

yeah i know how you feel.

Im so glad that Charlie doesnt need it anymore and is all better, but i have to admit, i am missing the money alot!

xx

Yeah I can imagine, I am now about £140 a week better off (before housing benefit is worked out), which is a hell of alot of money. At least I can buy Damien everything he needs now, like special car seats which are available for children with breathing problems, helping towards the constant washing costs and anythign else he may need. t lightens the load considerably.

Well Carers allowance now depends on my claim for Incapacity Benefit, and that wont be decided for another week or so - so lots of hanging around. In the mean time I may not be entitled to housing benefit anymore as my income may be too high after carers allowance and incapacity benefit. IB could be anything from £59.20 to £78.50 a week so I have no idea. If I dont get IB, the carers allowance will be the standard £46.95pw. I think this means I am only guarenteed Tax Credits and DLA at the moment at the nrmal rates? Is there anything else Id have to change Layla?

So confusing! :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back