Child Trust fund

titch

Reaction score
Ive been doing a bit of research this afternoon so I thought Id share my new pearls of wisdom.

As Im sure you know babies born after 2nd August dont get the £250 voucher, they get £50 voucher. From January the vouchers will be completely stopped.

With the system stopping existing acounts will continue but obviously people wont be opening child trust fund accounts, as the only way to open them is with a government voucher. because of this some banks arent offering the accounts anymore;

http://www.lloydstsb.com/savings/child_trust_fund.asp

Choices of where to open the account is already limited so I would imagine threre will be less and less options over time.

You obviously want the money to be in an account with the highest interest rate going, and youre allowed to switch accounts anytime to get the best rate. but youre only allowed to switch to a new child trust fund account (not any other type of savings account)

Im worried if we put money into a child trust fund accound and the interest rate drops too low I'll want to move it but wont be able to open a new
account anywhere. this will take competition out of the market so providers will lower interest rates because youre locked in.

Obviously this might not happen but im not gonna take the risk. What im gonna do is invest the voucher into a child trust fund then not add anymore to that but instead open a normal child savings account. I will always be able to move that money to the best rates.

Just thought Id let you know as you might want to think about whether youre locking money for your child into a scheme which might not give you the best return.

bleugh, money, my heads spinning!!

i know! I'm going to do the same hun, just let it sit in it's own account and leave it there xxx

I let my grandad sort it out for liv cos he's good with that sort of stuff and he put it in a shares investment thingy. so the comapny spend it on shares and then the dividends add up over the years he also put some money in with the £250 voucher.

Ethans nan got him some premium bonds don't even know what they are! I'm no good with things like that.

Lol nor me I just nodded and told them to carry on lol as long as she has something I don't mind x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethans nan got him some premium bonds don't even know what they are! I'm no good with things like that.

premium bonds are where you dont get any interest on your savings but theres a kind of lottery every month and sometimes you 'win' lump sums which get added to your money. I think the more money you have in there the better chance you'll win something. Someone wins 10 grand every now and again. Hope Ethans does!!! :)

wow they are good to have then thank you tiny. I remember her saying theres a lottery i hope he wins something is has £500 worth bless him xxx

:lol: morgn has £200 :blush: and only £50 in his child trust fund. he shouldve been born 11 days earlier!! we're putting £10 a month in for him not a lot but OH worked out it'lll be 2 grand by the time hes 18! :cheer:

i couldn't belive how much it was but then she never got anything for him my mum and dad got his pram and carseat, my nan got his cot etc. Think it was a good idea. I'm trying to save the child benefit money for him. Everything all adds up for them. He has more money than me! :lol:Xxx

I know, my 2 month old son is in the black and Im not :faint:

Which is the best child trust fund? I have the £250 which was so lucky because Annabelle was delivered by c section early and her natural due date would have been 5th August so she would have lost the £200!!

I dont have a clue about this type of stuff. can anyone just tell me which account / place to go to with it?? x

We were lucky to get the £250 too but there's just no return. Definately going with your idea Tiny. And the other thing is in the child trust funds only the 'child' can actually draw the money when they are 18, so say you've been paying in loads over the years and (heaven forbid) they turn out to be a wee toerag, they can access the money and blow it all on goodness knows what. I'd rather have an account for Ross that's a little more secure!

We were lucky to get the £250 too but there's just no return. Definately going with your idea Tiny. And the other thing is in the child trust funds only the 'child' can actually draw the money when they are 18, so say you've been paying in loads over the years and (heaven forbid) they turn out to be a wee toerag, they can access the money and blow it all on goodness knows what. I'd rather have an account for Ross that's a little more secure!

I totally agree I don't pay into Jacobs trust fund he has a savings account me and my Family opened and we pay money into it I will give it to Jacob as and when I feel it's needed like University or furnishing a house. My mum and dad gave me mine when I moved out and it helped alot.

That's such a good idea Tiny! Think i'll be doing the same!

May I suggest a NS&I Account - http://www.nsandi.com

My Aunty started one when I was born in 1989 - there was £500 in it by 1991 and it was left until my 21st this year. When it went into my account it totalled an amount of approx £1100!! :D Crazy! lol

at the min the best interest rate on a childs savings acount was halifax regular savers. its 6% which is brilliant considering the recession. its only a bonus rate for the first year but you can look again next year and switch. the only 'catch' is that you have to pay in everymonth by direct debit. we're putting his £200 in then doing the minimum £10 per month. his birthday and christmas money will go in as well.

i still havent found a child trust fund for his £50. I dont think now is a good time to be investing in shares so i m gonna go with a normal savings account. need to find the best interest rate. did find one but you have to do it in branch and i'd rather manage it all online otherwise i'll never get round to sorting it out!

i need to phone for a replacement one amy got 250 quid but think that the workmen threw it out while they were busy in here :S i dunno how to get hold of one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back