disappointing hospital visit

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
I went to the hospital today to register as I have just moved to the area.
I have really set my heart on a water birth for many reasons and chose this particular hospital because they said they provide that facility and it seemed like a really good maternity unit.
When I asked about it today I was made to feel like I was a right pain in the arse for wanting something slightly out of the ordinary, even though they had previously boasted about this facility, and told that they only have 1 birth pool and if that room is being used when I go into give birth then I wont be able to have a water birth.
I feel a bit let down and anxious now because I wanted to prepare myself for the event and feel like its all a bit unknown now I wont know until I get there whether I will get the water birth I want or not.
Is anyone else having this problem?

I really fancied a water birth at first but the hospital I am using only have 2 available and again it's first come first serve, even if the labouring woman has decided to come out the pool.

It is a bit annoying but try not to get too stressed out about it. As you said it is a bit out of the ordinary, so you might get lucky. xxx

I really wanted to try a water birth... But unfortunately our hospital only have "relaxation pools" and they will whip you out for the final most painful part of labour... the popping the baby out bit.... :x

There's no gas and air so I will have to do it all alone if I choose to use the relaxation pools... I'm quite upset by it.... but that's just the way it is.. :(

i think that most consultants dont like the birth pool idea.. all they care about id getting you in and out as quickly as they can...

personally.. i would write a letter to the head midwife at the hospital... stating how dissapointed you are.. you chose the hospital because of its reputation.. etc etc.. and would really like a water birth.. or at least a time in the pool to help with contractions..(there is never any guarentee in any hospital that the pool will be free for you in labour)

however,, my suggestion would be for you to ask you midwife.. or on this letter.. if the solution would be for you to provide your own inflatable pool connectors, pipes etc etc.. and bring it to the hospital with you..(my birth pool takes less time to pump up (electrically) and fill than the hospital one as hospital is to big..?? just a suggestion.. and i know most hospitals and units allow you to do this ?

I was told the same thing, that its a first come first serve basis but they also said that there are corner baths in the rooms so you can at least spend some time in the water.

I was told that it was first come first serve... when I got there the pool was free and midwife really encouraging about water birth though.. unfortunately I wasn't.. i was such a wimp i thought i wanted epidural so didnt get in.. then i nded up with just gas and air anyway so could have got in there afterall :roll:

I'd say stick to your guns about having your water birth.. its your choice. BUT.. be prepared that labour doesnt always go the way you want it to in your birthplan so just be open to fact you may not get one if someone using it already :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back