• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Diluting formula??? Conflicting advise!

vixxie77

Reaction score
Hi ladies

A friend of mine has a 3 week old and she was suffering with sickness and diahorria. My friend had cows milk allergy when she was young so doc told her to half dilute formula for just over a week to see if allergy or viral. She is doing much better now. However I am really concerned as I was told when Brooke had sickness that under no circumstances should I dilute the formula, as can make them ill, just give little and often!]

So my question is are there special circumstances, like trying to detect an allergy, that it is ok to dilute formula?

Thanks x x

My friend said her doctor advised her to dilute it when her baby had a bug. However I know what you mean, so much conflicting advice around.

I don't think dilute formula will make them ill - the concern is that bubs won't get the right nutrients if it's too watered down. So if gp has requested it for a short period to diagnose illness should be fine x

I have always been told not to x

Thanks ladies. It is just so conflicting! I looked online and it says in some cases it has killed babies but then I suppose that would only happen if it was prolonged. I do worry if some gp's may not realise what they are telling mothers to do, as I know from experience that some just don't have the knowledge when it comes to paediatrics. I couldn't find any advise online that would tell you to dilute formula in any case, if there was a problem, then change to a different milk or if a bug then give little and often. Oh well what's done is done, she is a lot better now however and they think it was just viral, but I do worry about the long term effects, if any x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back