Dilemma

Urchin

Reaction score
Lng story but here goes.

I work in a creche and we have a new member of staff. she used to work in a day nursery where my friends son goes so naturally I asked for all the dirt.

I was NOT expecting to hear what she told me!!!!!

- The recently knocked the wall down between the 2 rooms. They told the parents it was so the children had more room to play. really it was cos they have so few qualified staff they needed to knock the wall down so only one qualified person would need to be in the room.

- Sometimes one member of staff would be with 12 babies!!!! they are really short staffed and always over ratio.

- There is never enough food for the children, eg 1/2 a fish finger and a blob of mash for dinner for a 2 year old!!! For tea a cream cracker and some rasins.

- The worst thing for me to hear was that one mom was very knowledgable about ofsted regulations and always counted the staff and would not leave her child there until there was the right ratio. they used to pretend to her like there was the right staff for the room, then when she left everyone would go back to what they were doing before!! they would look at when this ladies son was due in and move everyone around. To me thats just like lying!!

SO... obviously I told my friend and they have gone in and kicked off about it (when they went in it was 12 babies and 2 staff!!!) So my mate is dealing with it.

BUT I have got hold of the number of the lady who counts the staff. I am going to ring her, I've made my mind up about that. BUT I don't want this girl I work with to get into trouble with her ex-employer, how shall I say how bad it is to this mom without the nursery finding out this girl has been telling people what it's like?

I think I would give the telephone number to your friend who has the child in the nursery and leave it up to her to ring ... you've done your bit already! :)

Oh my god this is shocking i was a nursery Nurse 4 9 years and a nursery manager for 4, this is highly illegal the ratio of qualified to unqualified should be 75% Qualified, the Ratio of babies under 2 is 1 to 3!!! I'd tell the mum whats going on but explain you cant tell her the source due to the person getting in trouble also i would get straight on the phone to Ofsted you can leave an anonomous statement, and the food thing is :shock: :shock:
sorry im just really passionate about good childcare :oops:

Do you have to mention names? Would they find out who had told her? If not, then don't tell her who has told you, she will only care about what has happened, not who told you.
If they will find out who told, then that is a bit harder. But the truth is what is most important and if this girl will get into trouble for the sake of this mum finding out the truth then that is what will have to happen.
Good luck :hug: :hug:

OMG i have never heard anything like that in my life!!!

Rachx I'm same as you have worked in nurseries for years

That is ridiculous that the manger has done stuff like that

I'd deff call ofsted, but they tend to warn when coming so could make the ratio right :think:

As for calling that mum but the girl not getting in to trouble i dunno, at least she isn't working there now so not much the nursery can do TBH

And never mind how big a room is , you still need the proper ratio for over 2's

correct me if i'm wrong Rach as is a while since i did it, isn't it about 6-7 to 1 for over 2's to under 5's?

I know its 8-1 for over 7's

The ratios at present are
1-3children for under 2's
1-5 for 2-5 yrs
1-8 over 5 years
but on top of this theres a section in the ofsted registration that says within a room the qualified have to be 75%
12 babies is the maximum in most nurseries with this they must be 4 members with at least 2 fully qualified
Ofsted also frown on anyone bein left alone in a room with children even if in ratio and can do a spot check at anytime

An employer cannot give a bad reference in retaliation if they found out it was her, she can sue them if they tried.

How much are the parents paying for this????? I would have a fit if I thought my son was being treated like that.

Im shocked!

Playing devils advocate for a bit though, are you absolutely sure the girl who told you isnt exaggerating? Maybe she has a reason to feel bitter, ie do you know the circumstances of her leaving there?

It might be worth talking to her again to see if you can spot any holes in her story, it would be awful if the nursery got into trouble and it was all lies.

But then if it is true.....

Let rip girl, call the other mum and maybe tell her your another mum from there and you've seen them do it.

glitzyglamgirl said:
Im shocked!

Playing devils advocate for a bit though, are you absolutely sure the girl who told you isnt exaggerating? Maybe she has a reason to feel bitter, ie do you know the circumstances of her leaving there?

It might be worth talking to her again to see if you can spot any holes in her story, it would be awful if the nursery got into trouble and it was all lies.

But then if it is true.....

Let rip girl, call the other mum and maybe tell her your another mum from there and you've seen them do it.

well it's a fact they are short staff and had 2 staff looking after 12 babes.

I'm thinking of just making sure OFSTED know the situation for now.

I would definatly make OFSTED aware of the situation
Not sure how to tell the other mum, maybe tell her but say you cant tell her your source

Its ridiculous (sp?)
They are potentially putting the children and babies at risk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back