Dilated renal pelvis

Tilly

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and bumps, I hope everybody is well. I had to go for a repeat scan today as both baby's renal pelvis's were dilated at 20 weeks (6 and 7mm). Scan today measured both right and left at 12mm which means they have got worse. The sonographer didn't seem very concerned and just said they will scan the baby at 6 weeks and may start antibiotics from birth.

I am really worried cause from what I can find on the internet this level of dilation seems really high and they are not checking baby's kidneys again.

I can't do anything but I can't stop worrying that it may get worse in the next 8 weeks and nobody is checking as she said I wouldn't be scanned again.

Thanks for reading

Tilly

Aww hun, I've never heard of this before so I don't have a clue. Maybe contact your GP/MW and just say how worried you are.

I'd avoid looking things up on google though (easier said than done when you are worried over baby, we've all done it!) because you hear really rare horror stories etc.

Could you call your MW and ask her to go through everything with you?

:hug: Hope you're ok sweetie xx

:hug: I wouldn't worry too much about it...I had to go for a repeat scan at 32 weeks for the same reason, and it looked like everything was ok. From what they told me, my brain is a bit fuzzy on the details, is that the reason they would give baby antibiotics is to help prevent repeated kidney infections due to kidneys being bigger than normal, and then scan at 6 weeks when the kidneys are likely to be the proper size that they should be...if that makes sense. If at 6 weeks it's still bigger than normal, they continue to give antibiotics to help prevent these kidney infections, and continue to rescan until the kidneys are the right size, or when it's not going to be a problem. It's something that baby should grow out of, i.e. kidneys should be the right size at some point.

It's just that at the ultrasound scan, that scan isn't sophisticated enough to tell whether the kidneys are bigger than normal, or whether it's just not emptied it's fluid fully at the time of scanning. So chances are at the proper 6 week scan which is more sophisticated the kidneys will be fine, as the ultrasound scan isn't accurate enough.

Please note this is just my own understanding of it, don't know how accurate it is, but that's what I took from it, and I asked about it and they just told me not to be concerned about it at all as apparently it's very common.

:hug: :hug: :hug: plus you get an extra scan when you wouldn't normally, so extra chance to see baby again! :cheer:

I would make an appointment and talk to your MWW about it, see if she can get you an appointment with someone at the hospital to talk to you in detail about things Tilly, because you shouldn't be left worrying like this :hug: :hug: :hug: It looks like Dannii and purplebluered have left some great posts too, which I hope ease your worry :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back