Dilated Kidneys

dee

Reaction score
Hi Mums to be just popped in for a bit of advice i went for my 20 week scan and he told me my baby has dilated kidneys and i would have to go back in Dec for another scan to check if they were still dilated and if so i would have to go to Sheffield, but he didn't say what for or what they would do so does anyone else have any advice or information on this just to put my mind at rest ......

thanx Dee :?

my first son gave us a scare when i went to my 20 wk scan. they told me his kidneys looked large for his size and for his dates. i dont know if that is the same thing as being dilated though. needless to say, i had pictures of him needing dialisis and transplants running through my head, and had to go back for monitoring scans for the remainder of my pregnancy. and in the end...everything was just fine...no problems. all that worry for nothing. well, at least i got extra pics of my baby developing. i hope everything turns out for you as well. i know its hard, but try not to worry. even if it turns out to be anything there isn't anything you can do about it right now. concentrate on the remainder of your pregnancy being a healthy one and try to wait and see if there is indeed anything to worry about when the time comes. i will keep my fingers crossed for you

I've just been in that very same situation. I was given a huge fright when the consultant doing the detailed scan at 21 weeks, told me about the dilated kidney/utenary tubes, as it's also a indicator to down syndrome. My heart fell right through the bed, only then did the consultant tell me that it's incredibly common and my midwife has confirmed this. Apparently the baby will outgrow it or in my case, baby will require scans within a couple of weeks of being born to see what the situation is. It's particularly causes hassles in boys, but as I say, most babies outgrow it in the womb.
Don't worry about it too much. I was worried for so long about it possibly having downs, but there were no other indicators, so, I'm relaxing now and enjoying my pregnancy.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
Emilia xx

thanx for the advice i feel so much better now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back