Calories during pregnancy???

mouse9210

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much you are supposed to eat in the first trimester??

I have been previously dieting and eating an average of 1500/1600 per day, and was exercising 4-5 times a week. I am using MyFitnessPal which is brilliant for keeing track of calories etc.

But now I am 5 weeks pregnant and am wondering if this amount of calories is still ok? Obviously now I am not trying to lose weight, but I want to maintain my weight.

I am planning on continuing to exercise throughout pregnancy, my husband bought me a spinning bike for Christmas so I am going to be using that about 4 times a week for 30-45 mins at a time, keeping the workout moderate (not pushing too hard!!)

Any advice would be sooooo appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

:)

I've heard that ur supposed to eat 300 calories more each day during pregnancy. But to be honest, once the sickness kicks in its almost impossible to eat anything.

I'm actually losing weight and my clothes are hanging off me now. My mum is so worried, but I eat what I can.

Today, I've only been able to manage a strawberry and banana smoothie :(

Just make sure ur not eating lots of crap. Get a balanced diet and together with the exercise, ull have no worries :) xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I'm interested to know this too. I heard you don't need extra calorie in begining and extra 200 a day towards end, I'm gona ask midwife bout it when I see them.

I would love to loose 7pounds but won't now, gona make sure I'm eating my 5 a day everyday tho and cutting back on the junk, bf calls me eating machine lol and doesn't know why I aint fat lol.

Maybe if u are gona exercise few times week up ur cals a bit, recommended cals for inactive women is 1600 a day isn't it? My friend told me this she went to slimming world

Xx

Thanks girls!

I think I will keep my calories at about 1500 then, and hopefully that'll be ok and I will maintain weight.

I don't mind baby weight, but I just don't want to generally put on weight through the pregnancy and then have to struggle to lose it again!! I have a friend who just 'ate for two' throughout her pregnancy and has really struggled to lose it.

I am trying to be as healthy as possible - although this will be much easier once I have gotten through all the Christmas chocolate!!!lol

Jayjay, you poor thing with the morning sickness!!! I have been so lucky with not suffering much with this, but I read that sometimes it doesn't properly kick in until around week 7, 8 ish. According to babycentre, it's ok if you don't eat much due to the morning sickness - as long as you are able to function and are getting something down - the baby can catch up on nutrients later in the pregnancy. Are you taking vitamins though?

X

I was taking pregnacare vits but stopped them a couple of days ago, only taking folic acid now.
I stopped them to see if it would help with the sickness but nope lol.
I'm in 2 minds whether or not to go back on them. I might stick with just the folic acid for atleast the next couple of days and see how I go.

And with the sickness, mine didn't kick in until I was exactly 7 weeks. I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow and in those 2 weeks, there's been only 2 days that I didn't throw up :( its such a nightmare lol xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

You only need additional calories from about 6 months onwards for baby- and then they recommend only about 300 calories a day extra.

I'd just concentrate on getting as much fruit and veg in xx

Jayjay, I'm sure that taking folic acid is fine as a minimum....I actually can't imagine being sick that much - I hope it doesn't last much longer for you.

Thanks Beckyboo - I am finding it difficult to figure out how many I should be on now though, as I was exercising really hard before Christmas, basically I was burning about 600-1000 per workout as I was losing weight....but now I'm not exercising so hard or as much, I am worried about putting weight on.

I do eat pretty healthily anyways, so that's not a concern, it's mainly the calorie amount so that I am eating enough but not too much! lol It is such a fine balance between the two and I have worked so hard to lose weight.

According to online calculators (and assuming that I don't have to eat any extra calories until final tri) I should be eating 2200 a day - which seems like a ridiculous amount to me?!

I have been scared to exercise, I haven't gone to a doctor yet, not sure what kind of exercise is ok, so I'll have to keep that in mind when I go to the doctor/obgyn. You guys answered my self questioning about nutrition though! But I still feel hungry all the time even with the amount I eat :/ lol. Hope you feel better Jayjay027! That sounds miserable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back