Dentistry help????!!!! wisdom teeth

sophs85

Reaction score
MY bottom wisdom tooth is killing and needs to come out!! I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to see if they can get it out under local because I know usually you have to have general to get bottom wisdom teeth out,, can I have an xray? different sights say different things about dental xrays so i'm confused? anyone else had a wisdom tooth out when pregnant?

Hi hun

I've not had any issues with my wisdom teeth but I have had really bad gum infections since my BFP.

I ended up having a deep filling removed, some decay drilled out and a new filling put in all under local on Thursday! I was fine and went to work afterwards!

Not sure what they will do under local for wisdom teeth though, the usually only take them out because they are impacted (growing the wrong way) and as far as I know that is under general.

Mine are all growing normally so don't need to be removed, but as they are erupted (open) I have to be very careful to keep them clean. Oddly my infections have not been through my wisdom teeth since being preggers :shock:

You can have your x-ray, they should have a lead bib the can put on you. I chose not to have one myself though.

The best thing to do is to go along and see what the dentist is happy to do for you

Best of luck!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

You can have an xray and I had all my wisdom teeth out with local a general wasnt even discussed so worth a trip to dentist.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk 2

ah thank you, I just need it out now! x

Funny as my wisdom teeth have flared up this weekend! I really don't want any more wisdom, I have all 4 fully grown or partially grown :(
My dentist is a tight arse and won't take mine out for another year!!! :O I find that a really good brush of the area and corsodyl mouthwash is the best to use when I have a flare up, I hope your dentist can sort you out x

Hey hun

I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but I have had 2 root canals.

I also had 2 x-rays, apparenty the radiation is the same as a domestic flight to London? My SIL is a radiographer as well and assured me it was nothing to worry about.

I have to have my treatment finished after the baby arrives but hopefully the dentist will be able to do something for you x

Wisdom teeth vary in the amount of impaction, and the orientation of them...so your treatment will ultimately depend on that. Dental X-rays have negligible risk to your baby, but it is more likely you will need an X-ray called an OPT which is the one that goes around your head and shows all teeth. There are also NICE guidelines for the removal of wisdom teeth. They want you to have at least 2 episodes of "pericoronitis" (which is inflammation or infection around the crown of the tooth)! Unless the tooth is grossly decayed they may not remove it just yet.
The X-ray they take will show them the level of impaction, orientation of the impacted tooth and closeness of adjacent structures, namely the nerve which travels down your jaw. If the nerve runs close to the tooth you may be left with parasthesia (numbness) to your chin,lip or tongue. This is quite uncommon and usually temporary but they will need to warn you of that.
Wisdom teeth can be removed under local anaesthetic in surgery if your dentist is happy to do this. If you were particularly nervous of treatment and wanted it removed under sedation of general anaesthetic they would prob wait till baby was born.
If the tooth is impacted you will need a surgical extraction which involves cutting the gum, and sometimes bone removal to free the tooth. You will have stitches afterwards and the swelling and bruising would prob last a week, so most patients take a week off work after.
Wow this is getting longer than I planned! For the time being your best to keep the area as clean as possible, rinse with corsodyl mouthwash. Your dentist may also prescribe you antibiotics. Amoxicillin is perfectly safe in pregnancy. If you're allergic then erythromycin.
Hope this helps and you get it sorted hun xx

Ferrin - your a dentist geek! mwah! xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back