Delivering Big Babies

My baby was 9lbs and he was delivered by c section. I was induced and didn't progress past 8cm, hence the section. Just to warn you, there was nothing to indicate how big he was. My bump measured bang on with my dates, so I didn't get a growth scan or anything. I have no idea why he is so big. My gtt was negative, I'm only 5'1" and OH is 5'10", but wee man is on the 98th centile for his height and 91st for weight.

I am 5'2", and was only 6lbs at birth, yet had a little lady at 8lbs14oz, and a head on the 98th centile. I measured perfectly throughout my pregnancy, and never expected her to be that big! But, I delivered naturally, albeit with forceps, but this wad more to do with her being back to back. I had an episiotomy, and tearing, so a fair few stitches, but I had no problems from them at all. I was amazed at how good I felt afterwards- they ached, and I occasionally felt a pulling sensation, butgt that was pretty much it! The human body is a wonderful thing- what you can cope with is really quite incredible. :)

Sorry if I am being offensive but I don't think 9lbs or 8lbs 14oz is "huge". Yep they are big but not massive or out of a healthy weight range???

That said I only had to cope with 7lbs 8oz and he was a week late so what do I know???

xxxx

I'm 5"7 and hubby is 6"3 - we were both teeny babies (3lb10 and 3lb8)

I had a huge bump! And at a growth scan at 35+6 I was told it was a "big baby" and measuring at 40+4

I ended up going into prem labour at 36 weeks and he was 6lb 9 and tiny! Prem baby clothes were too big for him!

Take everything with a pinch of salt

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

My LO was 8lb 10oz and long and thin at birth but he had very wide shoulders which got stuck! I never would have dislodged them myself so I needed help with the ventouse. So many births need intervention nowadays but that doesn't mean a csection is needed, it's just a case of wait and see really! X

1st baby measured above the 98th percentile (the charts on here somewhere) on growth scans, she only weighed 8lb 15oz but came out in under two hours with no pain but stiches. 2nd baby measured adverage and weighed 8lb 6oz and came out in 5 hours (three minutes after my waters went) very little pain again. I weighed 9lb 11oz but my babies didnt get as big as me so it doesnt always pass down. If im honest my pelvis didnt squeeze the 2nd baby enough to get all of the water out of her lungs so i could probably pass a massive baby naturally ifykwim? Dont worry if worst comes to worst they will give you a c section at the time if (big if) you dont progress so you may aswell try and avoid a big operation. x

Nope, not big weight-wise, but big size-wise- 98th centile, and I am pretty small (5'2" and petite) But it all went fine for us- aside from her being back to back. :)

My little ones head and abdo circumference is also measuring on the 98th centile, and her weight on growth scan at 36 weeks was 6ib 7ounces. Iv been told she is larger than average, and i am tiny...5ft 1, very petite and 7.7stone pre pregnancy. That said, they havent suggested a c-section, and i dont really want one. What will be, will be. As you are concerned, ask your midwife later on (past 34 weeks) for a growth scan. Scan should give you an indication of baby's size. x

This is interesting. My friend a tiny size 6, she's about 5ft 4. Was induced but they basically said from the start to prepare for section. She laboured 54hours before she gave in and had a section. Baby was only 6lbs 4. She was never told why they were prepared from section at the starts. She's trying for baby no2 and won't be planning an elective section xx

My baby was 9lbs and he was delivered by c section. I was induced and didn't progress past 8cm, hence the section. Just to warn you, there was nothing to indicate how big he was. My bump measured bang on with my dates, so I didn't get a growth scan or anything. I have no idea why he is so big. My gtt was negative, I'm only 5'1" and OH is 5'10", but wee man is on the 98th centile for his height and 91st for weight.

I am 5'2", and was only 6lbs at birth, yet had a little lady at 8lbs14oz, and a head on the 98th centile. I measured perfectly throughout my pregnancy, and never expected her to be that big! But, I delivered naturally, albeit with forceps, but this wad more to do with her being back to back. I had an episiotomy, and tearing, so a fair few stitches, but I had no problems from them at all. I was amazed at how good I felt afterwards- they ached, and I occasionally felt a pulling sensation, butgt that was pretty much it! The human body is a wonderful thing- what you can cope with is really quite incredible. :)

Sorry if I am being offensive but I don't think 9lbs or 8lbs 14oz is "huge". Yep they are big but not massive or out of a healthy weight range???

That said I only had to cope with 7lbs 8oz and he was a week late so what do I know???

xxxx

I know what you're saying. I think it's more my lad is so big in relation to how small I am, if that makes sense. I know my son isn't an unhealthy weight by any means! The thing that surprises me most with him is his height. He was 62cm when last measured at 8 weeks and is almost too long for 3-6m clothes at 11 weeks. I also think other people are quite surprised by it when they see me with him. They expect a short arse to have a small baby!

I had a 9lb 12oz baby boy delivered with the help of forceps. I was a teeny baby at 6lbs6oz and my husband was a 7lbs baby so we did not expect a large baby at all. My husband is only 5'10 and very small built and I am just 5'5. My bump was big but there was never any mention of scans to check growth etc, my midwife was really shocked when he found out the weight of my son. He is actually the biggest baby born in our family for a very very long time! But he came out with a little help totally fine and I'm still here to tell the tale :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back