Large babies

Jade89

Reaction score
Has anybody delivered a large baby naturally? and gone undetected as being a big baby?

I had a horrible time delivering my little(big) girl vaginally, she was 11lbs 2oz and i'm ttc #2 but worried about going through all of that again and having a huge baby naturally.

I was 9lbs 12oz when I was born and OH was 7lbs something but very premature at that too (his mum was told he would have been around 14-15lbs should she have gone full term), so big babies are on both sides...doubt it was a 1 off!

I'm not even pregnant yet but considdering other options but I don't know if a c-sec is appropriate for having a big baby? and would a big baby go undetected again as a growth scan said Aaliyah was 8lbs 6oz. And induction?

Anybody else chose a different birth than natural or did you just bear it and have another big baby?

My son was 9lb 15ozs at birth. We had been told he was going to be big. TBH I didn't worry overly. Figured he would come out one way or the other. I always hoped for a natural birth however and had one and it was fine. No intervention or anything. Just used gravity when pushing.

We were told he would be bigger based on the growth scans. They can be out either way by a fair margin. If we have another we fully expect another biff baby as both sides of our familes are known for them. I'd go for natural over C section any day. I'd at least try for natural anyways. If it didn't work then or couse a C section would happen.

Why not discuss with your GP your concerns and maybe they can refer you for a consult or help you with your options. End of the day you won't know till you are PG and in the latter stages how your baby is growing so planning ahead won't work. But you can do some research and so on and be informed on all options and be prepared.

Thanx 4 your reply :)

Yeah I suppose talking about it when I do fall pg is a good idea it's just so worrying now with the time I had before lol. I'd love to do it naturally again but if i could guarentee I wouldn't be giving birth to a toddler :lol: . I diddn't want any drugs, I ended up with them all, Dr's, midwives etc...were rushed in because her heart rate dropped a few times because she was stuck. Had a massive cut and loads of stitches, labour was hours and hours long, she was born black and very swollen, me and OH would love another child but I just think to myself could I really do all that again naturally?

My son was a big baby - not medically big as i think this is 10lb + - but big for me, he was 9lb 4. I had a terrible delivery he ended up being born by forceps after 3 failed attempts of vontouse (sp) without pain relief as it had worn off by the time they got round to it. I had a 3rd degree tear, bowel tear and large episiotomy as well as a blood transfusion from losing so much blood. My son was also not breathing when he was born from the stress of the assisted delivery. This affected my bonding with him for the first few days, i was exhausted (my active labour was 32hours) and in body and mind shock thinking what if they couldn't revive him.
This time my midwife said from my booking appointement that i will have shared care with a consultant. She said that it is likely (in her words "60 to 70% sure") that i will have to have a c-section because of the complications last time. The only way i will not is if the baby is more like 5lb or 6lb - but seeing as babies usually get bigger i doubt it.
I think i would prefer a c-section this time as i am absolutely terrified of a 'normal' birth, people may say that they would never have a c-section but in my opinion they can't say that until they've been through what some of us have. I was one of those people that said i would never have a c-section, now i desperately want one because i don't think i could physically and emotionally go through that again. Never say never!

And to answer your question (sorry, forgot about that bit!) they do offer c-section for babies that are 10lb + if they think it will cause lots of stress to you and the baby and if you have had a bad time before.

Carley thanx 4 ur reply, what a horrible time you had i don't blame you for wanting a c-section. :hug:

I wouldn't mind giving birth naturally if like I say the baby wasn't huge but I really don't trust growth scans after last time!

My labour was 30 hours start to finish too. :puke:

My last was 10lb 4oz and born naturally, i have been told this one will be at least the same size but i wouldnt have a c-section as hate the thought of the recovery so am happy to be doing it naturally again.

Jade89 said:
Carley thanx 4 ur reply, what a horrible time you had i don't blame you for wanting a c-section. :hug:

I wouldn't mind giving birth naturally if like I say the baby wasn't huge but I really don't trust growth scans after last time!

My labour was 30 hours start to finish too. :puke:

If i count mine from the start it would come to 49 and a half hours.... scary :eek:
I wasn't even offered a growth scan because i had a small bump so they thought he would be small i guess. I'm demanding one this time!!!!

Yeah, I was measuring 45 weeks at about 38 weeks ...and there's no such thing as 45 weeks so midwife got me a growth scan sorted out. Consultant told me baby was 8lbs 6oz and that I was ok to deliver naturally. She kept saying ''Still alot of fat there'' Telling me my baby bump was fat...It was all baby!!!

Look:

Photo-0132.jpg

Think that was only 32 weeks too and I went to 40+5...I can't see any fat here!

24week.jpg

24 weeks, and no fat then either!

So I got fobbed off with an agonising terrifying birth and got told I was fat!

Pffft!

I didn't end up having a vaginal birth, but my LO was 9lb 14oz @ 38 weeks. No one at any stage said he would be a big baby, and I'd had a lot of check ups too.

I'll be asking for check ups all the time on the size...and i'll make sure to state sereral times that they got it wrong before!

My daughter was 10lbs 10oz and they never expected that she was going to be SO big. They said 'good sized' but they thought maybe 8 or 9lbs.

So when I got pregnant again they said they would keep an eye on the size a bit more carefully this time. They checked me for gestational diabetes (which I didn't have) and they sent me for a growth scan in late pregnancy, which showed him measuring big but not ludicrously big.
He ended up being born 10lbs 1oz, so slightly smaller than my first.

I wouldn't have chosen a c-section either way to be honest (I wasn't offered one in any case). If I managed to push out a big one first time, I'm obviously capable of pushing out a big one second time as well. Unless I was facing a 12lber or something anyway.

12lber more than likely for me though lol :roll: I diddn't even push Aaliyah out as such, Dr had his leg up on the bed and had to pull her out. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back