Big Parents = Big Babies/Toddlers?

tinkerbell*

Reaction score
i was just wondering... me and OH are big boned people, very tall and stocky.. does this mean that theo is going to be a big baby/toddler?
and do slim people have smaller children???

Just out of interest??? :D

I wondered this to me and my OH are dinkys I'm 5foot hes 5'3 both small framed too I think Ivy seems pretty small or around a small average compared to alot of babys her age.

Me and DH are both overweight (I'm 12 stone 4lbs and 5'4". he's 28 stone and 5'10") And Lydia is normal, not overweight at all. And our son is a right skinny little thing. He's 16 months old, yet 9-12 month clothes totally bury him.

edit : although having said that, both were over 10lbs at birth.

I am 5'1 and 7 and a half stone, my DH is 5'11 and skinny (don't know what he weighs!) and Ella is a biggish baby, she is on the 75th for weight and is quite tall too. She def doesn't take after me! My mum reckons I weighed what she does know at about 18 months!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tia is TAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL for her age... Shes nearly 148cm's and only 9 years old.. I in comparison am tiny but her "father" is very tall so thats where it comes from.

Saying that both my parents are small... but I'm a normal average stature for my sex. :think:

There are ALWAYS going to be genetic links. But with weight its not so much that its genetic to be overweight. But there is research to suggest that there is genetics to say that it is easier to become overweight in some people. So while no one is programmed to be big (that comes with low exercise and incorrect food intake unless its due to a medical condition) it is possible that in the future it becomes difficult for a child of larger parents to struggle to keep the weight off, if they are exposed to unhealthy eating patterns or low exercise. Which almost all kids in the Western world are exposed to, but those with this gene that makes it hard to shift weight, have to work twice as hard. Obviously there are medical problems out side this. Steroids cause weight gain, as does thyroid issues. Illness that require steroid use can be genetic and low thyroid production can also be so.

Both hubby and i are big boned. Even when im a size 10 (in the distant hazy past!) i probably weigh 1 stone heavier than the next size 10 person. Hubby was a rugby player and although no fat on him is a big, stocky lad! We also both have big heads!!

James was 10lb 2oz born and for our 4D scan we were told that Pumpkin already looked chunky. James also has a large head and is definitely a big frame. So for us it definitely works that big parents = big babies but big doesnt = fat, just good working class stock as me mum always says!! :rotfl:

i agree with you jen..frame type if you can call it that will definatly tell you that you probably wont have a petite child if you have a large frame i heard soemone say theres no such thing as big boned...lol..

Im overweight (altho not for to much longer hopefully after the new year lol) and ryan's dad is very very skinny and everyone says ryan is stocky but he's only on the 25th centile so he's not big in weight for his age

My cousin was mitchilen man when he was a baby, im not kidding he was HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE and now he is 16, well over 6 foot tall and weighs not much over 9 stone so practically anorexic for his height

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back