**Debate**.....compulsory cooking in schools?

xrachx said:
OMG you are not going to believe this.....
Morgan was jst saying that the cooking class was split into two and the other group was doing Cauliflower Cheese, sooo? i hear you say, well one of the girls from that group came to school with a Cabbage!...yes she thought it was a Cauliflower, she went to the shop this morning on her way to school and bought a Cabbage! i cant believe a 13 year old child doesnt know the difference between the two, that parent wants a good talking too.

:shock: Isaac has a book with pictures of veg in and I'm sure he would be able to point out a cauliflower. What crap do these kids eat????

I loved doing cooking at school as it always amused me being the "thick kid" how the clever ones used to ask how to chop a onion or if somthing was cooked properly. I think the cost is a big thing though if you had a class of 25 and they all donated £2 towards a meal thats £50 surley that would be enough to cook a meal each even if they were to be made into small single dishes so they can take it home. Rather than spending £20 each on your own ingredents so you can make a meal for 8! I always hated it when there was a couple whos mums and dads couldnt afford the ingredents and they would be stuffed into a corner and ignored.

its a great idea to make it compulsary as it also means the lads will have to do it and they too can have some cookery skilss in life. in my school the cooking class was only girls. i got banned from my home economics class tho because the teacher was my form group teacher and i refused to take my make up off once so she thru me out of the form group and never let me in home economics again for the last 3yrs of school :shock: luckily i had parents who were all for teaching us to cook etc so i didnt turn out that bad but i have never been able to sew tho :rotfl:

xxxxxx

I am a teacher and I think it is a great idea. I also think other vital life skills should be taught too such as child care, managing finances etc
As for which lessons to take the time from.....I don't see how one less english, maths and science lesson a week would hurt...for most people these skills are far more important than quadratic equations and existential poetry.

Happybunny said:
I am a teacher and I think it is a great idea. I also think other vital life skills should be taught too such as child care, managing finances etc
As for which lessons to take the time from.....I don't see how one less english, maths and science lesson a week would hurt...for most people these skills are far more important than quadratic equations and existential poetry.
I completely agree! I definitely think these things are basic life skills that EVERYONE should be able to do! Some parents don't teach their children these things (cooking, managing finances etc) and so they are unprepared for when they leave home. Or even worse some boys being brought up to expect women to do all of these things for them! Boys and girls should be brought up to know how to be independent, I think that's one of the most important things in a child's education!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back