Death Penalty?

I voted yes. There are simly such crimes for which a person should pay for with his life (like crimes against children, serial killers etc).

On a bit of a tangent:
Ive just looked it up and it costs about £30k a year to keep somebody in prison :shock: WTF??? Thats less than it costs to run a household for a whole family. All they need is 4 walls, a loo and food. That is ridiculous :evil: Thats more than I earn. I dont see how that works out :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This country is seriously fooked up :talkhand:

SOURCE

EDIT: meant to say more than it costs to run a household :?

mary70 said:
i voted yes, there are just certain people that shouldnt be allowed to breath the same air as law abiding people, just a few that spring to mind, the yobs that have just killed that man in the street, holly and jessicas killer, james bulger killers, beverly allot :twisted:

could you have killed 2 10 year old boys?? Yes what they did was beyond evil but I could not sleep at night knowing I was living in a country that was ok with killing young children

I will always say no, for the same reason Sammystar has put. Murder is murder, whether it is legislted or not. Squiglet, I work with paedophiles and they turn my stomach but I could not see them killed and I am not lying, sorry but I am against murder. However I do believe that there should be much tougher sentences. That is a crime I feel strongly about, especiallymore so since I became a mother but I would not vote for the death penalty to come back. I just wish the governement would change sentecing powers.

natalie&jake said:
On a bit of a tangent:
Ive just looked it up and it costs about £30k a year to keep somebody in prison :shock: WTF??? Thats less than it costs to run a household for a whole family. All they need is 4 walls, a loo and food. That is ridiculous :evil: Thats more than I earn. I dont see how that works out :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This country is seriously fooked up :talkhand:

SOURCE

see I don't mind paying that to keep a dangerous criminal behoind bars, its all the petty criminals that I object to when there are better alternatives such as community orders etc. If they were used more effectively then the prisons wouldn't be so overcrowded.

Sorry, couldnt stop thinking about this topic.

I was just thinking, that some sort of pedophile would harm my Daniel i would personally cut his di*k off and would personally kill him by sticking a huge lance up his ass right through till his throat! Sorry, If i am offending someone, but that is just how I feel. I would never ever harm anybody in any other situation, but if someone would have done something nasty with my baby! :evil:

I do respect other, who think that a death penalty is a no no, but if it is 100% proven...

I used to be friends with someone who, so it turned out, was a rapist and murderer. He attacked me but I got away. The next girl wasn't so lucky. He got 'life' in prison but that was almost 20 years ago so how do I know he hasn't already been released? He could be out there now, living in my street for all I know :shock: Why should he ever be allowed back into society?, I know they say time is a great healer but once a sick ******* always a sick *******, no amount of time in prison is going to change a murdering rapist into a decent human being.

it might sound harsh to sentance a 'child' to death but if theyve killed some one how can you trust them ever again? I was a child once and i never even thought of killing some one never mind actually do it! We cant keep blameing there immaturaty for this when theres 'kids' stabbing each other and shooting each other on purpose... just because there 3 months away from there 18th doesnt make a difference!!

What about the rights of the victim? how paranoid would you be if you were raped and almost killed and the person got 5 years? after 5 years how do you know where they are? and what has the victim done? NOTHING! but theres weirdo's get freedom and a fresh start... hows that fair??

I say no. The death penalty is grossly inefficient and unworkable for a variety of very practical reasons: The death penalty does not deter crime, rather, it enhances and exacerbates the culture of violence and death through state murder.

I don't believe it is our human right to decide when a life exists or is extinguished.

I think it is perfect in some situations but others its hard to say!

If it was within my family and someone hurt/killed did something i dont want to think about to anyone within my family. I know my hubby has always said we should be allowed just 2 hours with this person to do as we pleased :oops: :x

I know for sure my family would do enough to this person to make them suffer for what ever crime they did to us.

I say this with the sick thing of my girls in mind. I always panic as i know there are pleanty of people out there who are out to hurt children :puke: :x

But I agree more with letting the family have their time with this sicko to finish him off and tourture him

Although I don't think that 10 year olds should be murdered... although I do think they should have received much steeper punishments (the James Bulger killers that is)..

But there are many high profile murders and paedophiles, where there is no contest concerning their innocence... such as Ian Huntley and Fred West...(although Fred conducted his own death penalty). Where these people do deserve the death penalty for their crimes.

I think in cases where there is any reasonable doubt as to the total guilt of a person, then the death penalty should not be invoked. But in other cases where the guilt is proven 100% then there is justifiable reason.

What you need to think about is that "life" imprisonment in terms of the UK justice system usually means a max of 20 years. That means that Mr. Lovegoods killers, if they are 18/19 years old now... they will only be 38 when they get out and thats if they don't get time off for good behaviour.

Ian Huntley could be walking the streets when our kids are having their own children, yet still very capable of harming them. He was only 29 years old when he was convicted. If he gets out in 30 years it makes him 59 years old and most people are still working at that age so by no means "past it" so to speak. And to top it all off Mr. Huntley will be able to have all the protective services available to him... like Jon Venables and Robert Thompson... its not fair is it.... and Its a scary thought when you think about it.

No waaaaay!!! :talkhand:
I'm very against the death penalty. You cannot teach someone not to kill by killing them yourself. i follow the commandment 'thou shall not kill' :) but i'd like to see tougher prison conditions for murderers.

whats the story about? im at my parents and theyv got a pop-up blocker on where i cant even click on links! :wall:

i think sometimes the death penalty is letting some crims off lightly. they should spend the rest of their lives in a squalid, boring prison where they can think about all theyre missing out on and reflect on what they done

laetitia85 said:
I'm very against the death penalty. You cannot teach someone not to kill by killing them yourself. i follow the commandment 'thou shall not kill' :) but i'd like to see tougher prison conditions for murderers.

What about an 'eye for an eye' then? :think:

Squiglet said:
Although I don't think that 10 year olds should be murdered... although I do think they should have received much steeper punishments (the James Bulger killers that is)..

But there are many high profile murders and paedophiles, where there is no contest concerning their innocence... such as Ian Huntley and Fred West...(although Fred conducted his own death penalty). Where these people do deserve the death penalty for their crimes.

I think in cases where there is any reasonable doubt as to the total guilt of a person, then the death penalty should not be invoked. But in other cases where the guilt is proven 100% then there is justifiable reason.

What you need to think about is that "life" imprisonment in terms of the UK justice system usually means a max of 20 years. That means that Mr. Lovegoods killers, if they are 18/19 years old now... they will only be 38 when they get out and thats if they don't get time off for good behaviour.

Ian Huntley could be walking the streets when our kids are having their own children, yet still very capable of harming them. He was only 29 years old when he was convicted. If he gets out in 30 years it makes him 59 years old and most people are still working at that age so by no means "past it" so to speak. And to top it all off Mr. Huntley will be able to have all the protective services available to him... like Jon Venables and Robert Thompson... its not fair is it.... and Its a scary thought when you think about it.

I hear what you are saying Squiglet but would prefer it be that life sentences meant a person dies of old age (or whatever illness) in prison . This is what life means to me.

Presumably in all the cases where a person has been convicted and given a life sentence, the jury were supposed to believe without doubt the person comitted the crime. So I'm not sure that you can argue that the death penalty should only be given to those we are 100% sure of in order to avoid innocent people being killed as surely someone is not convicted in the first place if there is reasonable doubt that they comitted the crime.

:?

lou said:
laetitia85 said:

Although that is in the bible the person who said it was the King of Babylon.

Jesus says, “Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite thee on
thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

Can you honestly see Huntley being released though Squiglet, he has at least 40 years to serve but I think he will end up like Hindley and Brady. I think Rose West will also never see freedom again.

I don't think anyoe who is speaking against the death penalty is saying that it is right the victims get no rights. I am very lucky, I have only been a victim of minor crime but I read victim statements and it is heartbreaking what people got through.I do think victims should be given more recognition but IMO the death penalty is not the way to go about it.

jenna said:
it might sound harsh to sentance a 'child' to death but if theyve killed some one how can you trust them ever again? I was a child once and i never even thought of killing some one never mind actually do it!

well the Bulger killers haven't re-offended. Read the Mary Bell story, it was heartbreaking to read, she ddn't have any idea of what death was, she eleived that you came back to life like her dog had (her parents kept replacing her dog). She has also managed to carry on living without re-offending.

Becs said:
lou said:
laetitia85 said:

Although that is in the bible the person who said it was the King of Babylon.

Jesus says, “Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite thee on
thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

yes, amen to that!
and i think that's far better :dance:

beanie said:
Can you honestly see Huntley being released though Squiglet, he has at least 40 years to serve but I think he will end up like Hindley and Brady. I think Rose West will also never see freedom again.
sadly I can :( It would go against his "human rights" to keep him locked up for murder when mr. jo blogs gets let out 20 years earlier for what is, in retrospect, the same offence...murder. Hindley and Brady were from another era... when the went to prison....it was punishment...not nowadays... :(
And until the government buck up their ideas and actually start making prison a punishment, life meaning life and deterrent again...I can't see a way forward. :( In a perfect world they'd be no need for the death penalty.

beanie said:
well the Bulger killers haven't re-offended.
Fortunately they haven't been given the opportunity to reoffend... its a bit hard to kill someone when you are being watched by police 24/7... :) which is kinda a good thing in a way.

Squiglet said:
beanie said:
sadly I can :( It would go against his "human rights" to keep him locked up for murder when mr. jo blogs gets let out 20 years earlier for what is, in retrospect, the same offence...murder. Hindley and Brady were from another era... when the went to prison....it was punishment...not nowadays... :(
And until the government buck up their ideas and actually start making prison a punishment, life meaning life and deterrent again...I can't see a way forward. :( In a perfect world they'd be no need for the death penalty.

beanie said:
well the Bulger killers haven't re-offended.
Fortunately they haven't been given the opportunity to reoffend... its a bit hard to kill someone when you are being watched by police 24/7... :) which is kinda a good thing in a way.

Mary Bell hasn't either and she isn't under 24/7 surveillance. And yes I see what you are saying about Brady and Hidley being from another era, but whilst Huntley wasn't given a wholelife tariff I really cannot see him being free. First of all with all the damage he has done to his liver with his countless overdose attempts :roll: I can't see him seeing 70

beanie said:
First of all with all the damage he has done to his liver with his countless overdose attempts :roll: I can't see him seeing 70
we live in hope Beanie...and if there is any justice in this world (I'm talking Karmic justice though not HMP justice ;) ) the end of his life will be as scary and painful as the end of the lives of his victims...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back