Cows milk protein intolerance...

Anna Marie

Reaction score
Lara was seen by a paed consultant at hospital on Monday about the blood in her nappies [been blood on / off now for 8 weeks!] and the consultant thinks it may be cos she is cows milk protein intolerant. aparently when I introduced a formula feed about 8 weeks ago this triggered it off and could the be root of her digestive problems... I was really shocked but aparently its very common in babies as their guts do not mature quick enough to handle cows milk protein.

Anyway I have been advised to stop breastfeeding and switch her to a non cows milk formula [Nutromigen I think its called] which is prescription only. If the blood does not disappear after a few weeks of the new formula they will have to do a rectal biopsy :shock: to discover what really is causing the bleeding.

I am very distressed about it all - emotionally upset and in agony due to engorgement and possible mastitis cos I have stopped breastfeeding altogether now - I just hope it really is an intolerance - I just want to know what and why etc and get her better again.

xxxxxxx

Oh hun, you are having a rough time of it aren't you. :hug:

You are doing so well, I really hope this sorts it out for Lara & she doesn't have to go through the biopsy.

Stay strong, we are all here for you :hug: :hug:

Oh Anna Marie.....i do hope Lara is ok and the formula agrees with her. How are you getting on with the bottle feeding? I'm still hanging on there with the breast & bottle feeding, i find the bottle feeding hard work.

Try either cold/or hot compresses on your breasts, may help with the pain.

Amy xx

Callum was on Pregestimil (more or less the same as Nutramigen). It's a hydrolised (sp?) milk - they explained it to me as being 'pre digested'. It won't aggravate any intolerences and it will also give her guts chance to recover because she doesn't have to work to digest it. We found that once Callum was on the Pregestimil, he thrived and didn't need any other treatment for his intolerences.

Fingers crossed it works as well for you as it did for us :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back