Council Housing

cocoflakes

Reaction score
Right, we didn't plan to get a house we was planning to stay with FIL and MIL but now things have changed and we need to move out.
We filled in the form online and it says within four weeks we will get a letter so waiting for that - so many people have said they was waiting years for a house but a girl just told me she waited 2 week just because she didnt get on with her mum so couldnt live there, she has no children and was offered a flat in two week.

How long did it take you or anyone you know to get offered a house/flat?
We have put down a few areas on our form, not just one.

Our circumstances is we cant live with FIL and MIL with a baby because MIL works and its not fair to have a baby waking her up all night when shes up at 7 for work and FIL is disabled and has problems with sleep apnia so really we need somewhere to live before baby is born....otherwise i will have to move out with baby and wont be able to live with the dad.

Getting housed by the council isn't always easy. Someone will come out and assess where you're living and you will be awarded points, the more points u have, the higher up the list you go. It also depends on the popularity of the areas you have listed. Some areas very rarely have any openings, some are easier to get into.

I had 200 points for 18 months due to being intimidated and in danger where I was living, and we ended up just saving up and renting privately after we got married. So they were happy for me to be threatened and living in fear for all that time and still didn't help!

But then there's my husband, who came home from the army, applied for a place, was awarded 20 points, and got a 2 bedroom flat after 2 months, even though he was living with his parents in a 4 bedroom house!!

All u can do is try, but no one can tell u how long its gonna take because there are so many deciding factors.
Good luck x

Getting housed by the council isn't always easy. Someone will come out and assess where you're living and you will be awarded points, the more points u have, the higher up the list you go. It also depends on the popularity of the areas you have listed. Some areas very rarely have any openings, some are easier to get into.

I had 200 points for 18 months due to being intimidated and in danger where I was living, and we ended up just saving up and renting privately after we got married. So they were happy for me to be threatened and living in fear for all that time and still didn't help!

But then there's my husband, who came home from the army, applied for a place, was awarded 20 points, and got a 2 bedroom flat after 2 months, even though he was living with his parents in a 4 bedroom house!!

All u can do is try, but no one can tell u how long its gonna take because there are so many deciding factors.
Good luck x

They put those who work before any one on benefits x

Also i have been in a hostel and was banded in band C which was crap as A was the top one as my council is a bidding system now.

I have been waiting for ages now i applied for housing when i was 20 weeks and still living with my partners mum as i gave up at the hostel as i was receiving abuse off the girl i was sharing with x

20/06/2012 - Elliott born at 12:09 x

11/02/2011 - Leo born at 11:37 x

I was working when I first applied. Didn't make a difference x

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

here we have to bid and then a decision is made...
Am hoping to get one myself but nothing decent has come up x

I hate to say it but having a Lo doesn't really give you many points as thet are change all things like this in my area you only get 5 points for having a bubba on the way. But saying that me & oh were living with his mum for four months before getting are one bed flat this was due to over crowedment & medical issues. We are currently getting back on this housing list due to bubba & medical issues of area again but still have to plan as if we will be here for when bubba does arrive :S

Every area is different & Obv depends on your situation and if the council believe its important to move you.
Give it a go Best of luck :)

It took my sister about 6 years to actually get offered a house, she was a single mother with nowhere to stay (well she was with my parents but wasn't ideal her being there as no room) but when she was offered a place it was a nasty flat in a dodgy area. She has told me it's better to choose your own private landlord and apply for housing benefit/council tax payments. I've still applied for a house but have no hope of getting one so hoping I can get my rent paid :/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back