council housing

confuzed 88

Reaction score
hi ladies
me and hubby+j live with my parents in a 3bed house iwth my 2sisters..the house is super crowded that its winding me up i havent got anough space for all of our things, one room with all our stuff, even things in the loft and shed, its mad.. and mum n dad suggested to me to look for council housing, now i wanted to know how do i go about getting housing? can someone point me in the right direction please..i cant take it.. my hubby doesnt work and all i get is my smp and j's child benefit which i dont want to spend. we cant afford to rent.

Erm... if i were you i would turn up at the council with your baby, say you and your hubby have seperated and you are forced to leave the family home, get yourself a 2 bed council house sharpish and then 'make up' with your OH

be the quickest way... they will move you almost straight away... you just have to 'bend' the truth a bit ;)

Oh sorry i read that wrong (you live with your family not his)

soooo... I would get your mum to write you a letter saying its too cramped in the house and she wants you out by the end of Nov and take it down the council, they will have to house you at this time

she has to give you fair notice and have a good enough reason, both of which she has

xx

They are willing to write a letter, I don't get along with one of my sisters which is making my life hard too, she so rude and unhelpful, but would having a letter speed things up

they need to send you a letter that says;

Dear xxxx

Due to our cramped living conditions and the situation with your sister, i would like you to evict your room in my home as off the 30th November 2011

I feel this is sufficient time for you to make alternative arrangements.

xxxx

make sure it has the date on it, your name, your partners name and your mums (or whoevers house it is) name. The council will play silly buggers, they will tell you you wont get housed/need to find private let/blah blah

just stick it out and on the date you are evicted they are legally obligated to house you

any problems PM me, i have just been through all this xx

Awww thanks so much, my local borough is ealing. Says to fill out an online form, will do that today. Someone told ne even if they don't find a house we can find a place to rent nd they'll pay our rent. Is that true? I'm really scared they'll put me on an estate, the ones around here are horrible.

They might only give you a one bedroom place, as here where i live im not entitled to a 3 bed house till charlie is 1 as they say that he can stay in my bedroom til he is 1,(and brooke has her own room) might be different where you are, but also my brother had a letter from my mum evicting them due to overcrowding and he got given a 3 bed house as that's what they had available at the time..:) i would definitely try for a council house rather than private rent as its so expensive where as a council house rent is prob about half of what i have to pay for my private rented house!.

thats why we are going council, because its just so expensive on the private market!

Hiya hun, i agree with BigBump. Although, be prepared to be placed in temporary housing (hostel) until they home you properly. I did exactly that and have been 'living' in the hostel for 3 months now and next week i finally move into my brand new two bed flat, with my bf and baby as ive said weve made up! as long as you make the hostel homely and stay there about once a week and just pretend you are there the rest of the time, it should work! good luck x

We have been put in a really nice two bed house as our temp housing! its lovely!

so you either go private, work out by phoning your council what the maximum amount they will give you for a house or flat, then have a look on the market. You need to find a deposit and fees for the letting agents (this cant be about 2k together)

then apply for housing benefit based upon that outgoing

OR

you hold out with the council, get temporarily housed and then you will be housed somewhere in your area when a house becomes avaliable, this all depends on where abouts you live. Round here you get temporarily housed and then you bid for houses as a matter of priority.

its different in every place

it is confusing but worth thinking hard about, if you get put into private, short of being evicted because your landlord wants to sell or whatever, you are stuck there. If you get a council house it might be somewhere you dont want to live and you are stuck there. So work out whats more important (expense or where you live) and decide what to go for. x

Ok, I'm going to call them up in the morning and speak to them, we don't have 2k, this is so horrid ergh.. thanks so much for your help!! I will see what they say tomorrow Xx

Hi Hun I'm from Ealing to and they will try and fob you off. Best thing is to register on locata and then keeping going to the council you will be entitled as you will be classed as over crowded. It takes awhile but you'll get there. I'm still waiting but two of my friends were housed quickly. You could find private rented but you will need first months rent and deposit and I know how hard it is to find a landlord in Ealing that will except housing benefit!! Say to te council you don't have the money to get private rented and they may be able to help you with that too. Ealing council list is sooo long! Having the letter is best idea too. Hope this helps x

I definitely think she she take an eviction notice from her mum, in this country the local council (whoever they are) are obligated to house you if you are being evicted so it will put a firecracker up their arses.

Round here if you are overcrowded it takes years and years to get rehoused, i know people with 4 kids in 2 bed flats!

never been a good way of getting housed by councils in my opinion x

To be honest I'm not agreeing with everyone advising that you 'cheat' the system!

We currently live in Hillingdon Borough and live in a studio council flat. As we have a baby on the way this is obviously unsuitable. We wrote a letter to our local MP who invited my OH in to a clinic. My OH took a floor plan of the flat (the joys of having an engineer as a OH!) and eh agreed that we live in unsuitable conditions, and we got 'bumped up' a band to band C so can now bid on locata. Unfortunate the council is crap and we can currently only bid on a 1 bed place, but that's better than where we are!

I really have no time for people that cheat the system as people like that are the reason honest people like ourselves can't get decent accommodation! It can also come and bite you in the arse! My OH would love me to go into the council and say I'm pregnant with no where to live, but I have more morals than that!

no honey, the reason 'people like you' (or all of us actually because we are all in the same boat here) have no where to live, is because the government have sold off all the council housing without building more (which is a legal requirement, for every 1 sold, 2 should be built)

the reason you have no where to live is because private landlords are so pussy-footed around that we dont even have a rental agreement in this country, so the landlords bump up their rents to whatever and the council pay it, whatever it is, meaning well meaning, hardworking people like yourself are left out in the cold.

And hard working people like me and my husband find ourselves in an impossible situation

the council have a responsiblity to find us affordable housing because we have young children. The system is corrupt, it 'cheats' you every day, out of taxes, out of an affordable lifestyle, out of the ability to raise your children in a safe, comfortably and homely environment.

so bending the truth to support YOUR family in a world where you are nothing more than a statistic according to these fuck heads is just doing what YOU need to do for your family.

I am glad you have such luck with your MP, mine was useless and it was only sheer bloodymindedness and learning the law that got me a comfortable house to live in with my son (we were living in one room of a shared house with two, smoking, drinking men and couldnt get housing benefit. The council were prepared to leave us there until we were evicted through a court. Thats not reasonable OR legal. Thats them 'cheating' the system so they dont have to do their jobs)

they are thinking about themselves and their 'figures' the ONLY person looking out for you is YOURSELF and further more, your support should be with your children, not your council! The council are NOT the important ones here, you are.

do what you have to do.

Hi Hun I'm from Ealing to and they will try and fob you off. Best thing is to register on locata and then keeping going to the council you will be entitled as you will be classed as over crowded. It takes awhile but you'll get there. I'm still waiting but two of my friends were housed quickly. You could find private rented but you will need first months rent and deposit and I know how hard it is to find a landlord in Ealing that will except housing benefit!! Say to te council you don't have the money to get private rented and they may be able to help you with that too. Ealing council list is sooo long! Having the letter is best idea too. Hope this helps x

I just dont understand that applicatiob, it asks about what kind of tenancy agreement I have, if its assured tenancy, I'm so confuzzled.. heeelp that application don't make sense to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back