Housing

cocoflakes

Reaction score
We dont have our own place and live with family, which was fine but now im pregnant and certain circumstances have changed and we need our own place.
I applied for the housing register last night but now i have to wait four weeks for a letter, then check it, then send it back then wait for another letter!

How long does it take to get a council house? & What kind help will we get until I find employment again? Lots of people spend they whole lives on benefits and I dont understand how they afford food, clothing, essentials, gas, electric, tv licence etc but somehow they do, I want a job as soon as i can but obviously I need to know where i stand until i find work.

We can't stay here and we've put this on the form and also that im pregnant, it also asked my due date which i dont have so i left it blank.

Anyone else on the housing register?
I've never done anything like this before.

I ended up renting private as the council list for a house where I live is a joke , even thou I was classed as a priority as I lived with my parents xxx

I was homeless living in a b&b and the wait was still 6 years! Hence why I'm now in private renting! I've git two young children on my own and still have 3 years left lol. You may have to rent privately and go down the housing benefit route if you can't work x

I was homeless living in a b&b and the wait was still 6 years! Hence why I'm now in private renting! I've git two young children on my own and still have 3 years left lol. You may have to rent privately and go down the housing benefit route if you can't work x

I can work, once ive had my baby but i would still be looking for a job for a while im guessing, how do u go private? and how much is it roughly for a 2 bedroom house/flat?

From what u know it's cheaper up north, im down in Berkshire and my flat is 750 for a two bed xx

From what u know it's cheaper up north, im down in Berkshire and my flat is 750 for a two bed xx

bloody hell, i dunno how this all works but i only claim JSA and so does my OH, ive been on it a while now he's only just gone on it but between us we only get 200 a fortnight, we get no other benefits

I pay 450 a month for a two bedroom house hun . I don't get any housing benefit thou , tbh I think I would qualify for it so I really need to look into it . Xxx

It depends on the area you are wanting a house in. And they usually go on a points system. Try speaking to a housing officer, they can usually advise. A private let is a better idea for quickness, and you might still be entitled to some help.xx

We dont have our own place and live with family, which was fine but now im pregnant and certain circumstances have changed and we need our own place.
I applied for the housing register last night but now i have to wait four weeks for a letter, then check it, then send it back then wait for another letter!

How long does it take to get a council house? & What kind help will we get until I find employment again? Lots of people spend they whole lives on benefits and I dont understand how they afford food, clothing, essentials, gas, electric, tv licence etc but somehow they do, I want a job as soon as i can but obviously I need to know where i stand until i find work.

We can't stay here and we've put this on the form and also that im pregnant, it also asked my due date which i dont have so i left it blank.

Me & my oh got are first one bed flat within 4month(which is good for housing list but all depends on number of points you get) & that was due to over crowedment as i was living with him & his family and due to medical issues.
You'll have to have your blue book and fill in due date (even if its just the e.d.d from your midwife)
I every much doubt you'll be until to more than a one bed flat as they say children can share your room until 8years old.
Me& my oh are trying to move again due to area & other reasons.
If your looking into benefits there are different ones you maybe until to most likely be income support & others once Lo is born but if you can go to citzens advise they'll be able to tell you what benefits you can claim for . Good luck x

I was on the housing list 6 years in a 1 bedroom flat with LO, now moved and been on it 3 years here but I now rent 2 bed house 775 a month. You need to go to the Turn2Us website and see how much you're entitled to.

Me & my oh got are first one bed flat within 4month(which is good for housing list but all depends on number of points you get) & that was due to over crowedment as i was living with him & his family and due to medical issues.
You'll have to have your blue book and fill in due date (even if its just the e.d.d from your midwife)
I every much doubt you'll be until to more than a one bed flat as they say children can share your room until 8years old.
Me& my oh are trying to move again due to area & other reasons.
If your looking into benefits there are different ones you maybe until to most likely be income support & others once Lo is born but if you can go to citzens advise they'll be able to tell you what benefits you can claim for . Good luck x

im pretty much in the same situation i guess, but not overcrowded, we cant stay here due to it not being our house its my oh parents but his dads disabled so its not suitable for him, we are waiting for a ltter back after regustering for housing

We decided to rent privately, as the housing list where we are is an absolute nightmare!
We rent a small two bedroom house for £575 per month..
We receive Local Housing Allowance at a rate of £95.00 per week before LO is born, and then this increases to £125.00 per week after baby is born.. Our payments are slightly reduced because OH works part time though..
We also get some Council Tax Benefit..
I also receive Maternity Allowance at £135.45 a week.. Have you worked recently? As this is something you may be entitled to?
I'd suggest calling your local council and speaking to the housing department to see if they can suggest anything else..
Also, www.entitledto.co.uk is good at working out what you're eligible for claiming xx

We decided to rent privately, as the housing list where we are is an absolute nightmare!
We rent a small two bedroom house for £575 per month..
We receive Local Housing Allowance at a rate of £95.00 per week before LO is born, and then this increases to £125.00 per week after baby is born.. Our payments are slightly reduced because OH works part time though..
We also get some Council Tax Benefit..
I also receive Maternity Allowance at £135.45 a week.. Have you worked recently? As this is something you may be entitled to?
I'd suggest calling your local council and speaking to the housing department to see if they can suggest anything else..
Also, www.entitledto.co.uk is good at working out what you're eligible for claiming xx

Last time i worked was february but i was only there 2 month so no x

You could also visit the Citizens Advice and they can give you advice and help you apply for anything you may be entitled to.

Unfortunately if your council housing system is anywhere near as bad as the one down here in London then i'm afraid you will be waiting a loooong time for a council place :mad:
My local council dont even acknowledge the baby unitl you have a birth certificate, only then will they take the baby into account. Before that you are classed as being on your own :shock:
Even then all they do is give you some points and then you have to go and 'bid' for properties.
Give your local council a call and ask to speak to a housing officer who may be able to advise you on how things work in your area.
Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back