Cooking with cheese - is it a no-no?

mayday

Reaction score
I love cheese. If I had to choose tomorrow whether I had to give up cheese or chocolate for the rest of my life - I would give up the chocolate without hesitating. And the stinkier the cheese the better. So you can imagine my delight at having to pass on the stilton at this time of year.

My question is this; I know you can't eat any blue, soft or unpasteurised cheese because of the threat of listeria. But does cooking get rid of the bugs? Eg. goats cheese and filo parcels, stilton soup (which I am desperate for!) etc. Is it safe if I have blasted them to bits in the oven or would I be serving myself listeria on a plate?

Good question! I have no idea of the answer but will be just as interested in it as you are! :think:

Why oh why do Sainsbury's have to torture me with an advert for 'box baked whole camembert' when I can't ruddy have it??? :evil: Or can I cos it's cooked? :think:

Hello Mayday

I searched the internet last week about this topic so here ya go hope this helps...

I've heard that I should stay away from soft cheese. Which ones fit that description and are they safe to eat-if cooked?
Pregnant women should avoid soft cheeses because they can contain listeria. Brie, Camembert, Stilton, Roquefort, goat's cheese and feta made with either cow's or sheep's milk all fall into the soft-cheese category. Even pasteurised soft cheeses are risky, because they tend to have low pH levels, which puts them at risk for contamination. You should also avoid blue-veined cheeses such as Gorgonzola. If you do decide to eat soft cheese, be-sure to heat it until it's bubbling hot.

puppylove said:
If you do decide to eat soft cheese, be-sure to heat it until it's bubbling hot.

There is hope yet for my baked camembert :D

Puppylove, thanks! Blasted stilton soup here we come! Still suffering guilt pangs over a brie sandwich I ate in a moment of error though :(

I bought a boxed camembert which I am going to bake to boiling point tonight.... yum yum :twisted:

I know some types of cheese are forbidden in pregnancy,but what about cheese on pizza?I had so much of it today i can sit properly :rotfl:

hI

What a good question glad you got it answered, I love cheese!!!!!!!
Katrinaxx

I love cheese too!
I've had it melted and also in sauces. As long as it is piping hot and bubbling, it would kill any listeria.
I know what you mean Mezzie about the torture of the Sainburys ad - its been driving me potty! I was wondering whether it will be ok as it is cooked - I guess if we do it at a high enough temp it will be ok?ummmmmm

Jst finished a baked pototo with melted cheddar cheese on top. Don't normally eat cheddar but have been really liking it recently. Lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back