Vegetables and anything healthy are a no no

Ginnymarie

Reaction score
and off my menu at the mo.

I don't know why..... I am normally a brown rice, lentils and beans,5 fruit and veg, organic type girl with the odd treats thrown in. Now pregnancy has turned me agains that is healthy or good for the baby.

I eat sugary cereal, cheese pasties, toast, noodles, chips and some proper meals such as chicken or meat. I just can't face vegetables, beans or salad (can bear the odd tin of fruit). In fact I have had a recent craving for chinese but have tried to resist. I am gaining weight and my skin is terrible, I feel sluggish and awful.

I know I should watch my salt intake and fat intake and lucky I keep down my pre-natals but I just don't want to eat anything I had before or even anything healthy. I am hoping this is linked with my 1st tri nausea and my appetite will improve and tastes will be more varied and healthy soon.

Is anyone else feeling like this? I would like to not feel guilty but I do. I will try to make a effort to eat better next week but the thought of cooking makes me feel sick......

I feel guilty when I eat unhealthy to wich is hard for me beacuse before I got pregnant alls I ate was Mcdonalds and burger King....I've been trying to eat a lot of fruit latley...but its hard to resist cookies and of fatning foods when your pregnant...I've done good with my soda intake though...But I do feel guilty....

The odd treat won't cause any harm but you do need to try and eat as much healthy stuff as you can. Sorry i'm not much help :hug:

im more into my veg and fruit now but i can only seem to eat my veg steamed otherwize it turns my stomach...but still got bad cravings for sweet stuff esp donughts haha!!!!!

Hi,

that happened to me with Mel and in my recent pregnancy too- I went from porridge with soya milk, rice cake and miso soup and lots of veggies for dinner to wanting white bread ( :? ), crumpets, plain pasta, mash potato and any other bland carb you can think of! I guess maybe your body wants blandness to deal with the sickness? It did get better with Mel in the 2nd Tri when I went through a fruit thing and had a huge amount of fresh fruit for breakfast, craved bananas and ate lots of dried apricots and prunes. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, I do think that your body will probably tell you what you need to eat if you're short of something. Are you still taking pro-natal pills? Can you face fresh fruit smoothies to get some fruit in?

+++

Hi honey :wave:

I don't think you should worry too much yet. Obviously it is better to eat a healthier diet if you can, but if you are feeling really nauseous, it is better to just eat what you can.
You will be feeling sluggish, not just because of the dietry change, but because first tri is hard work and it can make you feel really grotty.
Hopefully, this will ware off for you really soon (12 weeks creeping up fast :cheer: ) and you will begin to feel much better. Then you can concentrate on getting back to eating healthily.
I feel great now I have reached 12 weeks. I only feel off if I get hungry, but I eat little and often to combat that. I have been feeling much more able to eat foods that I had gone off of in first tri. :cheer: :cheer:

I hope you are feeling better soon, I know it is very draining :hug: :hug:

Lots of love
M
xxx

Looking at the stuff you're craving - I'm wondering if you lack salt in your normal diet? It seems a lot of salty stuff. I try not to eat processed food and I don't add salt to anything, but every now and then I get a craving for cheese and onion pie - and I know it's because I haven't got enough salt. (Cheese and onion pie is one of the only things I put salt on) But I wouldn't worry :D

Rosebay said:
that happened to me with Mel and in my recent pregnancy too- I went from porridge with soya milk, rice cake and miso soup and lots of veggies for dinner to wanting white bread ( :? ), crumpets, plain pasta, mash potato and any other bland carb you can think of! I guess maybe your body wants blandness to deal with the sickness?

That's what happned with me also. My body just craved bland simple food. And no veggies. Lots of grapes and oranges though. And am drinking a lot of raspberry and cranberry juice (so yummy). But my palate has come round again now and I am feeling more like veggies and good foods again. Good job the bland starchy, white bread need only lasted a couple of weeks.

my vegetable intake is appalling generally, so I'm making sure I take a vitamin pill every day !

Someone said to me though, eating something is better than nothing!

That happened to me aswell, I went from eating a balanced diet and i actually enjoy veg to only wanting unhealthy foods like macdonalds, sausage rolls, pizza etc! Oh and yum yums from m and s YUMMY!!!!

I couldnt enjoy ANY of the homecooked meals I remember sitting down to eat my roast dinner (roast dinners are one of my favs!!) and I looked at it and couldnt even eat ANY of it.

I think maybe our bodies want the opposite when pregnant, as long as your stomaching something thats the main thing.

Im in the bad food brigade too :oops: In weeks 5-7 I was craving fruit, orange juice, veg...angel food :angel: now however Im only satisfied by the stodgiest, greasiest calorific munchies :? I cant eat cauliflower anymore which was my favourite :cry: :cry: ...last time I put it in my mouth I had to spit it out like a 5yr old :rotfl:

I sat and got very upset this morning over the fact Im eating the most vile foods and so I bought very healthy things today in this weeks shop. Im taking Pregnacare everyday with Omega 3 but Im just praying this food binge doesnt last :pray: :pray: :pray:

But.. But..

McDonalds fries are tasting oooh. soooo ... gooooood at the moment! :oops: :shock: :rotfl:

Llys said:
But.. But..

McDonalds fries are tasting oooh. soooo ... gooooood at the moment! :oops: :shock: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I had them yesterday - its just a blessing there isnt a Maccy D's where I live else Id be there all the time...instaed I have to wait until I go shopping out of town :cry: :cry:

mmmm macdonalds... I wanted one today and my hubbie would not let me as we were in too much of a rush.....

luckily i take my vitamin pill and I do drink gallons of orange juice - my one saving grace.

good to know I am not alone, I think the craving is salt as I have quite low blood pressure and i went on the scales today thinking I had gained weight and nothing, not even a pound so the food is obviously being used for something.

The nausea is getting better and I intend to make a healthy lentil and veg stew next week, I tried asparagus and just the same as you Tillytots I spat it out like a 5 year old.

It is a balance between being responsible and just eating what you fancy/ feel like, can stomach and keep down....anything better than nothing I guess.

Thanks for your advice again and sharing your food habits....
xxx

I'm the same, wanting to eat bland carbs, choccy and biscuits. Got a thing for cream crackers at the moment. I try and eat fruit every day to compensate and have my pregnacare tablet

I wake up starving in the morning, fancy toast, cereal, porridge and at lunch soup, spaghetti hoops anythogn wet really. After lunch I'm done and feel so nauseous I can't face anything for the rest of the day. Cooking dinner is pergutory!!

I never had morning sickness with either of my other pregnancies and not till 10 weeks this time. I soooo hope it passes soon and I take my hat off to all you poor girls who've been suffering for weeks :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back