Contraceptive Injection updated on page 2

lauramumof2

Reaction score
Does anyone on here get it and if so how do they rate it with the pill.

Do you get bleeding in between periods??

Ive had awfull trouble with the pill since I miscarried and have been bleeding pretty much all the time so Im going to try the jag.

i had the depo provera injection and i was on it for a year and didnt have a period for a year
but i came off it to give my body a break

but i prefer it to the pill... i felt "safer" iykwim

i had the depo injection, it stopped my periods, and it took 18 months for them to return

its ok..

altho if i had the choice beteen pill or depo, would defo be the injection as in my case the pill dosnt work ;) V V V V V (not that id swap her for the world mind ;) )

If you suffer from migranes the jab is not good - I speak from experiance.... aww they made me ill I couldnt even open my eyes.... according to my doc that is quite common side effect

thanks girls. The jag it is. Im fortunate that I dont suffer from migranes sarah but I can imagine that must be awful for you.

I would be quite glad to see the back if my periods for a while, Ive had maybe 5 clear days of no bleeding since Jan 10th so I think im due a break.

Sorry to let you know this but they are no longer offering the DEPO injection. I dont know why. I went to the docs this week trying to get it.

i hope that is the case mrs tommo...

things could have changed since I had this about 10 years ago but I am positive it has a terrible impact on me making my depression much worse.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, whilst not everybody might suffer negative side effects, if you do then you are stuck with it for months.

I was on it about 5 yrs ago. Never again.......I put loads of weight on, got depressed, lost my sex drive and it stopped my periods.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

skairdykat said:
I was on it about 5 yrs ago. Never again.......I put loads of weight on, got depressed, lost my sex drive and it stopped my periods.

snap!
It also affects fertility - and can stop you being fertile for a year or so after you stop having it. No one told me that at the time, and whilst i wasn't planning on having a baby they should have let me know.

I would NEVER have it again despite the fact that my periods made me physically sick, curl up in pain, faint and were really heavy!

BabyBee said:
skairdykat said:

snap!
It also affects fertility - and can stop you being fertile for a year or so after you stop having it. No one told me that at the time, and whilst i wasn't planning on having a baby they should have let me know.

I would NEVER have it again despite the fact that my periods made me physically sick, curl up in pain, faint and were really heavy!

I hated the injection, it's nasty and I'm glad they're stopping it.

The injection was so bad for me. Yes i had no periods but i gained weight, had aweful headaches/migraines, lost of libido to name a few things.
Once i came off it it took ages for my periods to regulate. They were all over the place and lasted ages with only a short break in between.

Would not recommend it to anyone personally sorry :(

heles7 said:
i hope that is the case mrs tommo...

things could have changed since I had this about 10 years ago but I am positive it has a terrible impact on me making my depression much worse.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, whilst not everybody might suffer negative side effects, if you do then you are stuck with it for months.

Yep, me too, ended up on Seroxat the depression got so bad!

My two pals were also on it for years and both have had dodgy smears/colposcopys and big C scares.....I'm convinced it was the jag!

xxx

ive not heard one good thing about it from people i know. The doc told me that it can make you put on weight (my friend put 3st on)

it also put my friend off sex for as long as she was on it, making it useless :wall:

also the doc told me that it can cause weak bones (oesteoperosis sp?) if you're on it 2 years or more.

Sorry hun but i'd go for implant if i were you :wink:

ps why has it been banned?

Oh err. I went to the docs on friday and he said that was fine and that I was to see the nurse. He didnt say what jag it was and I know there were 2.

Now im unsure. I hear what you are all saying and I will have a think about wether I should do it. The pill isnt working any better tbh, I am bleeding all the time, I put weight on with the pill and was moody.

Mmmmn, a rethink is in order.

honestly, i think the implant has many more pros to it than the injection.

Once its in, thats it for 3 years (unless you have any probs)
no interrupted sex
no forgetting pills
no counting weeks thinking when you're due for next injection
and its not painful, trust me, im a wimp :lol:

mrs_tommo22 said:
Sorry to let you know this but they are no longer offering the DEPO injection. I dont know why. I went to the docs this week trying to get it.

Only certain surgeries have stopped it due to the increased risk of osteoporosis. My old GP's stopped it whereas my current GP offers it as does my hospital.

I used to help write a contraceptive website and there are dozens of complaints about it mainly about weight gain & headaches, but thats the nature of it. If you have the injection and are quite happy then you're not really going to seek info on it and sing its praises?

From personal experience I was quite happy on it, didnt gain any weight nor had any mood swings. It does affect fertility so if you're planning TTC again then it could be around a year for your cycle to return to normal.

I'm planning on having it again straight after this baby as the pill is useless to me and I have no faith it it whereas depo is my best option.

Ive tried the injection and implant. I hated both. I hated the injection more so. Both made me put on weight and lowered my sex drive. I also get one of the rare side effects that all hormonal pills/implants/jabs make my hair fall out in clumps. I recomend persona. Its a bit annoying at first but after 3 months its really easy.

I was shocked at all the problems it could cause - but more shocked that my GP didn't tell me any of that when it was offered to me. he made it sound like a solution to all my problems and he gave me NO info on it at all. I was 16 and it sounded like the answer to my awful problems but instead it made everything so much worse.

If it's an informed decision at least you'll know what could be causing any side effects you might get, i had no idea they were caused by the injection until i looked it up after feeling awful for so long!

I don't like the normal pill, it did nothing for me at all (except somehow get me pregnant :p ) but i'd rather put up with the pain, heavy nearly constant periods and such than go back to the injection.

If you do go on it make sure you look after yourself and look out for any side effects. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back