Consultant appointment at 16 weeks (Quite a long post)

KeelyT90

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

So after my scan last Thursday, I saw MW afterwards to get notes back & last lot of bloods etc....
They have decided to book me in to see the consultant at 16 weeks rather than just see the MW.
I suffer with Hypermobility Syndrome and it affects my hips the most. During my last pregnancy I developed severe SPD & SJD as a result of my condition.
The collagen in my ligaments cause them to be loose, therefore, this doesn't provide the usual support for my pelvis & sacroiliac joint. Pre-Pregnancy, if I walk too long or do anything strenuous this causes me pain for several days which I normally take 30/500mg of co-codamol if necessary.

Last pregnancy, I was referred to physio around 16 weeks, though, was signed off after a few sessions as the physio was causing me to be in actual agony for days after. I wore a pelvic support belt to lift bump and steardy my hips (as my ligaments obviously cant hold everything in place like they're meant to :mad: ) And I used 2 crutches that they gave me, along with cocodamol for the pain. In the end I was induced at 38 weeks as I suffered so bad.

This time, I am pretty worried. I know someone with the same condition and she had a natural delivery with second baby, however, due to stretchy ligaments being under pressure, she had a prolapse after the birth and needed 2 ops for reconstruction. This resulted in a 12 week recovery time. She has asked me to raise it with consultant at the appt as my options could either be:
A normal delivery and a normal recovery
A normal delivery and the risk of prolapse & 12 week recovery
A c section with a 6 week recovery.

Bearing in mind I will also have a 2 and half year old toddler to look after too.

Guess I need to do my research and write down my questions and concerns before my appointment.
If anyone has experienced anything similar, advice would be welcome :)

Thanks xx

Aw keely that sounds stressful. I don't have any advice unfortunately, hopefully someone on here will be able to help and ur consultant can answer some questions.

Hope you have a pain free pregnancy xx

Thanks sparkles. Fingers crossed its not too bad. Only 3 weeks to wait until I see the consultant though xx

Not the same problems but I'm under shared care so seeing consultant and midwife due to kidney problems and unexplained pervious losses.

Seeing consultant never rules out normal birth and delivery. They just want to monitor at this point.

Fingers crossed things go well for you.

Lxx

My sister has hyper mobility and I have dodgy hips but also broke my pelvis a few years ago. We both wanted natural deliveries which our consultant agreed we could try, but at the first sign of trouble we'd both be down for emergency sections. Just as they where about to wheel me down to theatre for an emergency section I managed to birth my daughter naturally but my nephew got stuck and my sister couldn't push him so she had to have a emergency section. She's now been told if she has anymore she has to have a section. Make a list and discuss things with your consultant. If you feel a section would be better for you than you should push for it xx

Last edited:
Thank you. I've been trawling the net looking for other people with experiences and wrote down a list of concerns and questions. I know this appointment is probably too soon to tell. I'll raise them anyway and see how I get on. Though, this one is more for my pain management at the moment as I've only walked my dog and took toddler to the park today and I'm now laid on the sofa in agony really wishing I didn't need to go to the shops lol xx

Hi I hope you don't mind me posting, I have hypermobile joints (although more upper body) and really suffered with my 2nd pregnancy. My muscles hadn't gone back after my first pregnancy and I had no support at all. I tried everything for the pain, although was reluctant to take too much. I ended up have accupuncture and it was amazing! I struggled to walk and was in constant pain and after the acupuncture I was almost pain free, I constantly wore tubi-grip to support my bump. I asked for a c section, due to recovery and problems following my first plus lots of issues with my pregnancy. I actually ended up being induced at 39 weeks and had a lovely natural birth, if this hadn't been agreed too I would have gone for the c section x

Hi I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome hypermobility type. You're not alone. Do you have a rheumatologist who can write to your consultant advising about possible complications etc and to offer advice and support? My rheumatologist has provided me with pregnancy hypermobility information to be included in my pregnancy notes for everyone in my care to read. He also wants to see me at 18 weeks so we can work through any problems and he'll write to everyone involved x

Hi I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome hypermobility type. You're not alone. Do you have a rheumatologist who can write to your consultant advising about possible complications etc and to offer advice and support? My rheumatologist has provided me with pregnancy hypermobility information to be included in my pregnancy notes for everyone in my care to read. He also wants to see me at 18 weeks so we can work through any problems and he'll write to everyone involved x
Hi, I've been discharged from my consultant regarding my hypermobility as there's nothing more they can do until the arthritis sets in unfortunately. I've been referred to physio but that's all. Hopefully the consultant for pregnancy will have a good understanding though.
Are you suffering at all yet, mine pain started this time around 11 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back