Constopation on SMA Gold

grace7

Reaction score
Hiya All,

Ellie has been consipated for about a week now even though she is pooing it really hurts her for about 5 hours before she goes! Sometimes the poo is solid but other times its normal.

Well the HV came today and i asked whether i should change her milk shes on SMA Gold and she said that may make it worse, she said just to give her cool boiled water and see how it goes i have been doing this already though and told her that.

Its really hard and upsetting seeing her in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Any suggestions?? Do you think i should try her on Cow and Gate even though the HV said to leave her on SMA Gold if so which 1 should i use??

Thanks Gracexx

Charlie started on sma and it made him constipated, my midwife suggested aptamil as this is what is given to the babies in special care unit at our hospital as due to the preobotics(sp?) in it its easier on the stomach. Charlie has thrived on it, cooled boiled water with half a teaspoon on soft brown sugar works wonders when they are constipated, about half an hour after drinking it you get an explosion!!!

hi it was the same for me, aptamil was alot better for her really helped
i used to put a tea spoon of fresh orange juice into her boiled water.
she was so content
hopes this helps xx

thanks for the replies girls. I think i will try this and c if it helps once again thanks Gracexx and a constipated Eleanorxx

Hey Grace!

I only posted last week about this, Zac was terribly constipated on SMA!

My HV told me if I wanted to change milk I could, and he is now on Cow and Gate Premium and no more constipation!! He seems to be really thriving on it, a very happy chappie.

A lot of the girls on here recommended it and it is good :cheer:

HI Jaidy,

We r going to change her to cow and gate how did u swap just straight away! or do 1 bottle c&g and 1 sma so he gradually got used to it! we r still using sma at the mo cos have nearly a whole tin left and cant really afford to waste it :oops: tips on how to swap the milk would be great or if u just swap it straight away i would love to know! i wonder y my mw said not to change her milk?

Gracexx

When i swapped charlie the midwife told me just to change it immediately and that there was no need to do it gradually.

oh ok thanks just thought i would ask as had no idea whether i could do it straight away or whether i had to do it gradually thanks again Gracexx

I know this probably sounds like a daft question but how do you know if your baby is constipated?
Tom is really struggling with wind and it seems like he's in pain when he does a poo. However, he is pooing regularly. His poos are quite soft but sometimes they're sort of crumbly (yuk!).
What do you think?

grace7 said:
Hiya All,

Ellie has been consipated for about a week now even though she is pooing it really hurts her for about 5 hours before she goes! Sometimes the poo is solid but other times its normal.

Well the HV came today and i asked whether i should change her milk shes on SMA Gold and she said that may make it worse, she said just to give her cool boiled water and see how it goes i have been doing this already though and told her that.

Its really hard and upsetting seeing her in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Any suggestions?? Do you think i should try her on Cow and Gate even though the HV said to leave her on SMA Gold if so which 1 should i use??

Thanks Gracexx

my friend had this problem tooand she found that a warm bath helped

LucyBee said:
I know this probably sounds like a daft question but how do you know if your baby is constipated?
Tom is really struggling with wind and it seems like he's in pain when he does a poo. However, he is pooing regularly. His poos are quite soft but sometimes they're sort of crumbly (yuk!).
What do you think?

True constipation in a baby is when they are struggling to pass motions, but they are actually HARD. Zac's poo was rock solid when he was constipated and it looked like a golf ball poor chap!! Sounds like Tom's poos are fine :D

Grace, change the milk over straight away when you want to, it wont do any harm. Her tum might be a little upset for a day or so but she will soon get over it, let me know how you get on with it :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back