Constant waking during day naps

DW1978

Reaction score
Jax has become a nightmare having his day time naps. He wakes constantly during them but is still tired - he cries with his eyes closed and within seconds of me rocking him in my arms he's back asleep. He can do this every 10mins during his daytime naps, its so frustrating and difficult to get anything done while he's in bed. I wonder if its because he won't self settle yet. At night time he's fine, will go down at 6pm, wake generally around midnight for milk and then straight back to sleep till 6am. I put him down for 2 naps a day, one at about 9am and one at 12pm. Yesterday he actually settled into a deep sleep and slept for about 2 hours solidly at lunchtime. Last week, after resettling him multiple times each nap, I would bring him down into the lounge still swaddled, put him on the sofa on my bf pillow and he would go back to sleep for a couple of hours, no problem.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Mummy to two beautiful boys; Lennon born 5th March 2006 and Jax born 24th October 2011 :) <3

Kayden had probs with daytime naps, turned out he was overtired, i've been following the advice on this website & the results are amazing. I've copied a bit for you & the link to the website is at the bottom...good luck

xxxxxxx

Resettling.

To successfully resettle your baby, it is important to have a consistent plan. I will share with you what I have successfully done with my babies, and frequently recommend to mums (usually very successfully).

Given that I am sure my baby is just needing to learn to resettle himself (and isn't hungry, or stuck - usually they'll give a different cry if they are), I will wait 10 minutes or so after first hearing him cry during his sleeptime.

Then I go in, pick him up and pat soothingly on his back until he calms down. this usually happens as soon as I pick him up, or it might take up to a minute or 2. Very often they will look around with bright eyes, sometimes even smiling, so delighted to be up and ready for action!

Many mothers have discovered that if they get them up at that point, they will remain happy for only a short time, before becoming fussy again. They need more sleep!

After he is calm, I put him straight back down, and softly tell him that it is sleep time now. Of course if there is a dirty nappy to change, I will take care of it. I then leave the room and wait around 15 minutes before going back in.

Most babies will protest loudly at that decision!

On rare occasions, especially if there has been some unsettledness for quite a few days already, the baby will persist right up to the next feed time, with mum going in every 15 minutes or so. Most babies will calm down, though, perhaps persisting to fuss on and off until they fall asleep.

By going in every 15 minutes or so while they are fussing, mum can assess what they are up to, as well as feel they are part of solving the problem.

If you go in, and your baby is fussing (rather than crying), and you feel that by picking him up you might only wake him up again, then you can wait a further few minutes and check again.

On rare occasions, particularly if they are unwell, mum may need to spend a little longer cuddling or rocking her baby to calm him down so he can get off to sleep. This is fine. If you regularly rock, bounce or swing your baby to help them get to sleep, however, you may have troubles down the track. They learn to depend on that to get to sleep, and it is not fun to be trying to rock your growing baby to sleep during the night. Also, this type of resettling is more stimulating, which only prolongs the cycle of over-tiredness.

If you have had a few days or even weeks of unsettledness, and you are attempting to implement a tighter routine involving resettling, then be prepared for a few days of hard work. Your baby will not be happy with the new rules at first, but most mums find that after 3-5 days, their babies are happy to go to bed, and happy to sleep for their sleep times.

Consistency on the part of mum is the key.

If you have tried to implement a routine, and you have faithfully followed the resettling guidelines, and you are sure that your baby is not hungry, and are still having no success after a week, then a check to the doctor is helpful for piece of mind. You want to be sure there is no underlying reason (for example, and ear infection) that may be contributing to your baby's distress.

http://www.boswellbunch.com/simone/Babies/4_Month_Olds....html

Not really sure but Will be stalking as Drake is similar. I'm trying the pickup putdown technique and I'm actually able to get him to sleep without rocking or feeding him now but he Will still wake after 20-40 mins, when the sleep cycle is changing, and Will need to be resettled by me. I've only been doing this a few days now but have given up trying to get anything done and am just sat near him with a book and try shhhing him when I see him stirring to try and send him off without him fully waking.

Kayden had probs getting past the 45min mark. After following that advice he's now going 2/3 hrs at a time, which he hasn't done at all from day 1

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the advice and information littlemiss. I will give it a go xxx

Mummy to two beautiful boys; Lennon born 5th March 2006 and Jax born 24th October 2011 :) <3

It's rubbish but I wish Kynon slept half that good, I've turned into a zombie over the last 5 months, after last night Im almost at breaking point! He doesn't seem to think he needs naps! (or night sleep come to think of it!) I'm lucky if he begrudgingly has the odd 30 mins in his car seat if we are out! I've given up on trying now he obviously just hates sleep! I've just brought the no cry nap solution book but had no time to read it yet.....
Hope something works for you soon, i know how you feel x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back