• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Confused about weaning!

LaineyG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! :wave:

Mhairi and I are a bit confudled about this weaning malarkey!!

I tried her on baby rice a few weeks ago, but she wasn't really that interested in it, so I left it.

I tried her on porridge last week and yet again, not interested!

So today we tried some Broccoli, Pear and Pea puree. She loved it!

So I'm now going to start her on solids daily.

My questions are -

What's a typical schedule for eating when you start?

Just now we're doing this -

7am Bottle

11am Bottle

3pm Puree & CBW and bottle

7pm Bottle and bed

10pm Dreamfeed.

Is this okay to start with?

When do I start giving her more than one "meal" a day?

Do I only offer her food at the times she would be due a feed?

Me confused! :wall: :wall: :wall:

xxx

It'll still be months before I'm at this stage.... so none of the below is based on experience, but from what I've read:

- When you start on solids, it should only be for 1 meal of the day initially, for about a week. Then introduce it for a second meal of the day, again for a week or two, then for the 3rd meal of the day.

- Meal times should be same as yours really, so you can share a meal, so ending up at 3 times a day, breakfast , lunch & dinner.

- it's ok to offer finger food in between meals times.

- Solids should be offered first - but afterwards always offer milk to fill up on. Initially you should not reduce the amount of milk given, as it takes time for them to get up to speed with eating & filling up on solids.

- I also read somewhere that babies need to try each food type at least 12 times before they decide whether they like it or not, so don't give up on the rice or porridge too soon :roll:

Good luck with it :D

Milk is still her staple and most important so at this stage there's no fast rules as to how much you 'should' be, or not be giving her. It's more an experimental stage, to get her used to both flavours and textures, temperatures and smells :)

I think what you currently do is great, the only advice of concern is they say to intriduce one thing at a time, so you can note any adverse reactions or allergies, and to give equal savoury and sweet so as not to gain a sweet tooth LO hehe Don't think I helped much there, just let her tell you if she wants more or not, if she doesn't she'll certainly tell you hehe

Have fun!! :D :hug:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/starti ... irstfoods/

I'm a big believer in instinct Lainey and knowing your baby. I know thats the kind of vague answer that people hate, but I really followed DD's lead and its worked so far.

We haven't followed any hard or fast rules but now she's a little bit further down the weaning route, I have tried to follow this basic guide for each meal:-

plate_large-copy.jpg

However, I only roughly follow this - I just try to make sure that carbs and veg make up the main part of her meal, she gets fruit for pudding and some dairy and protein each day, but I definitely don't follow it religiously.

The Annabel Karmel or Gina Ford weaning books are excellent if you would feel more comfortable with a plan to follow with day-by-day ideas and instructions.

Good luck!

Valentine Xxx

Thanks girls!

I'll keep going with one meal a week and then maybe introduce a breakfast!

Yesterday was just such a breakthrough when she seemed really keen on what I was giving her!

I honestly thought that Mhairi would be in school before I got her weaned!!

My mum, dad and I are really looking forward to Mhairi trying all types of foods, and I plan on making most of it myself.

The meal yesterday was an Ella's Organic pouch, which I think are brilliant because they are completley free of anything, apart from fruit and veg (although I was a bit sceptical about Broccoli, PEAR and peas!). So I'll use them for a wee while until a routine is established (and I have a kitchen to prepare things in! New one being installed at the moment - nightmare!).

I've got the Annabel Karmel book so.............let the journey begin! :dance:

xxx

At the moment our weaning routine is very basic as we only started Tueday last week.

He has all his normal breastmilk on demand as usual but he has breakfast around 9.30/10am - I give him Cow and Gate breakfast - this morning he had sunshine apricot flavour - I'm steering clear of bananas at the mo as they apparently bung up and he's not pooed since we began weaning!!!

Now he's been on food for 10 days I'm going to introduce a little pureed veg at tea time as well as breakfast but taking it easy as he's still very young.

Alex is still about 99% breastfed as he screams the place down every time I try and give him food. He was doing alright for a while and then had a relapse and decided enough was enough.
He's still growing well though and poos regularly so I'm not too worried, even though he's over 7 months old!

I wouldn't worry about a schedule to be honest, just go with what your baby wants.

CalamityGem said:
The Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner has a 'schedule' thing in it which shows how you should go roughly through the weeks and how many meals you should be giving them.

It also has loads of yummy recipes!

Finn loves the butternut/parsnip/carrot trio thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back