Completely clueless

MrsPod

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of Albie fighting at the breast at every feed, almost no sleep, bruised breasts, feeds that take over an hour to get 20ish mins of actual feeding in, endless tears from me and him, we've decided to formula feed. It's also a question of protecting my health - I had ME for several years and it's something I've adjusted to more than recovered from, and I believe this will prevent the relapse I was risking.

But, am completely clueless. How does this work? I know how to sterilise bottles and how to make up a feed, but it's the other things - how do I cope with days out when we can't make bottles fresh? Do you make every single night feed fresh from scratch? If so, how do you know when to make it up? Are you setting alarms or waiting for the demand and then comforting them til it's ready? I read something about keeping hot water in a flask then adding the formula when you want it?

Also, how do I get my milk to dry up as quickly and pain free as possible?

Everyone does it differently, I fill the bottles with boiled water in the morning and add powder when needed. If you check the world health organisation information on formula feeding this is fine to do as long as the bottle is used immediately.
A lot of women also take a flask of hot water around with them. Xxx

We started by using the pre pared bottles until we got used to the whole formula feeding routine. This gave us an idea of how much our little one was eating and also an idea of how often he needed fed.
I am using SMA and so far we haven't had any issues. We are now making up his feeds as and when required. Riley get fed every 3hrs and usually takes 40/50ml each time.
If we are going out visiting or know we will be out of the house round about the time he needs a feed again we just use the pre prepared bottles no hassle no fuss.

This is the starter pack we used. You can get them in any supermarket £6.99 for 6 bottles. Most brands have their own version if you don't want to use SMA. Hope this helps

Michelle x
image.jpg

Michelle, that is amazing help, thank you xx

No problem, I know how confused I was to start with so happy to help.

Michelle x

I know a few of us bang on about them a lot on here and they are abit of a luxury but I really couldn't recommend a perfect prep machine enough! Takes all the hassle out of making a bottle which is worth it's weight in gold, esp at night! They were £65 from £100 in the asda baby event, not sure if that's still on tho. Like someone else said we used the ready made stuff in the beginning, those packs are expensive for how much milk you get as each bottle is only just over 3oz, they were a godsend in the very beginning tho! If ur confident with bottles it would be more cost effective to buy the bigger bottles, sma ones are 79p for roughly 9oz and once open it can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours, just heated up by putting the bottle in a mug of hot water. If ur baby is drinking more they also do much bigger bottles for around 2.50 which last 48 hours in the fridge xx

What I do which one of the mum from here said which I though was great. I sterilise all my bottle in the morning then add 4oz of boiled water and put them in the fridge once cooled. Then when my LO wants a feed I boil the kettle and add 2oz of building water add the powder and away to go. Perfect temp. Obviously if they are taking more or less than this the amount of water in the bottle will need to be varied.

When out I either use the premade formula or make up a bottle and keep it in a tomme tippee bag that keeps it hot then add formula when needed.

When I went to visit my parent I just took the large bottles of premade formula and a cold water steriliser.

Hope that helps xx

I only breastfed for the first 2 days and gave up as it was just far too painful for me.

After the first few days formula feeding (making each bottle us as required, which could take like 20 mins by the time the kettle boiled, and rapidly cooled the bottle under the tap ect...) we bought the Tommee tippee perfect prep machine (Currently 65.99 at babies r us - http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-U...erfect-Prep-Machine(0105442)?searchPosition=3 ) And I would strongly recommend it.

Takes 2 mins to make a bottle at the perfect temp. Whic is great especially at night as I only feed my little one when she wakes and is hungry so no waiting about for bottles to cool ect. For out and about i've bought the ready made formula bottles as you only need to open the carton, pour it into your steriled bottle and your set. You can also buy ready made bottles with a teat so you dont need to take your own bottles to.

With regards to your milk supply, just leave your boobs - try and make sure not to stimulate them. I would recommend stocking up on some painkillers to take regularly for a few days as I got engorged boobs and it was really painful.

We do it the wrong way lol make a couple bottles up at a time and pop in the fridge and then heat in s mug of hot water. When we go out we take oremade formula and a preset realised bottle

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back