Combining Breast and Bottle

ladybugs90

Reaction score
Can it be done early on or is it not possible?

Reason being, I want to be able to top my baby up with formula if I don't produce enough milk to begin with.

It's not recommended as you will get yourself in a catch 22. The baby feeding will increase your production. I want to combine feed breastfeeding and breastfeeding milk in a bottle. I got told not to give a bottle for at least 2 weeks hopefully longer. But if you're baby isn't getting enough milk you may have to top up with formula but I wouldn't plan to do it if that makes sense as you'll create a rod for your own back

Yes you can, my lo is a week old and I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. If you look at the website Fed Is Best you'll find some useful info on how to supplement and why. Of course you can supplement by expressing instead of formula but both can be done successfully. My lo is still feeding at the breast for lengthy periods and having top ups x

Yes you can, my lo is a week old and I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. If you look at the website Fed Is Best you'll find some useful info on how to supplement and why. Of course you can supplement by expressing instead of formula but both can be done successfully. My lo is still feeding at the breast for lengthy periods and having top ups x

I wanted to do this too, not for long though as I hated breastfeeding, just for a few weeks maybe, mostly to breastfeed during the night to save the screaming baby when waiting for bottle to cool etc. I will have a look at that site too xx

Thank you this is really helpful.

I witness my sister-in-law go through not producing enough milk and her child was crying constantly. She was so distressed by this and gave up. It's not something I want to happen.

Congrats Hun xx hope all going well xx

Why not see if you do produce enough and keep feeding thats the only way to get your supply up. If you give formula straight away your body wont produce enough as baby wont take as much from you.

It's very rare you don't produce enough milk. Even if baby is constantly feeding so it doesn't feel like they're getting enough, they most likely are. After the initial drop in weight, as long as they're gaining then you're fine. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back