Breast and formula feeding.

NIE

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I would love to breast feed but I am unsure if I would be able to due to the medication I am on.

If I can I would be interested in combining the breast with formula.

Has anyone tried this?.........How hard or easy was it?.......Was it the best for your baby? xxx

Hello NIE

I'm currently combining breast and bottle for my son George who is 9 days old.

George has breast all day long and one bottle at bedtime. He's currently having about 5 fl. oz. of formula and the rest is breast.

The MW said it was ok to combine if I wanted to so I have. It seems to work really well for my LO because he's sleeping from midnight to 6am on that bottle and napping during the day after breast feeding.

I never knew if I could breast feed as I have had 3 breast operations which affected the milk ducts. I'm very happy with the solution we now have because I am feeding him myself yet also ensuring he has a "top up" of formula as well.

I'm sure if you have a chat with your MW or GP they'll be able to advise for your situation (re the medication).

Good luck!
:hug:

Thanks for that. I really hope that I get the go ahead for feeding my son my self. I really do think I would like to combine the formula and breast just like what you have done.

Well done and thanks. xxx

I breast and formula feed Isaac, mainly because he was tube fed in hospital and I wasn't able to feed him on the breast and couldn't get anything through expressing, and then lost confidence in my supply once at home, so combined breast and formula :)

Isaac will have both, easily, he has no problem with nipple or teat, he's also on hungrier baby formula and so he often has 5-10mins on the breast, then 5oz formula, so Daddy also gets to feed him and everyones happy :D

Through the night I will just give him breast, and he seems happy with that, going straight down to sleep after he's finished without asking for formula too.

I do think you'll get into a routine, it kind of just happened for us, I intended on breastfeeding but sometimes things change, I hope you find what's best for you and your baby, very best wishes :hug:

I would check on the medication with Your GP before LO arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back