Combi boiler

Cat&Noah

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Just wanted to know if any of you have a modern combi boiler and what you think of them.

We are moving house shortly and having one fitted to the new house.
I have been told that they are great cause you never run out of hot water, but that it takes a while for the hot water to come through.

Also the plumber that quoted us last night, said we wouldnt need a power shower as the water pressure from one was good enough?

What do you think of them?

Hey chick,

I run a letting agency so have a lot of experience with boilers (especially this time of year)......

Modern combi boilers are great, they heat the water as you request it, have never heard of it taking a while to heat up, maybe you'd need to run the tap a little (I live in all electric apartment myself - nightmare!! and miss our combi boiler)

You will always have hot water, the pressure should be good enough to not need a power shower, if the pressure is low change the shower head to one with smaller holes (it will work harder to push the water through a smaller hole) and voila the water pressure is better!

If you ever lose either hot water or heating with a combi boiler, remember that it will usually be a diverter valve that needs replacing (usually happens around this time of year, as you won't have used it for both heating and water simultaneously for a while, and it has to work harder). The diverter vlave if broken will mean you will be left with one or the other (keep your fingers crossed it leaves you with hot water) will take about 3 days to replace (the plumber will more than likely need to order it and wait a couple of days) and is relatively cheap to do.

Sorry.....just realised I rambled on at ya :lol:

I haven't got one myself but I have heard they are really good. One thing I do know is that you can't have a power shower as they can't supply the hot water fast enough but yes the pressure is good for a normal one.

yeah as the others have sadi the modern ones are great - the old ones were pants!

my is a plumber so he would never have fitted one in our house if ther were no good.

only problem is if they cut your water off (we live in a small village and it has happend half a dozen times in about 4 years so not a huge problem) as you have no tank to store water. once its off thats it no water!

but i love having unlimited hot water - used to drive me mad when i would run a bath only to find after a couple of mins the hot had run out and the rest had been stone cold :x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cat I want a Combi! We have a massive pressurised water tank in a cupboard upstairs which is such a waste of space! If we had a combi we wouldn't have a hotwater tank at all.

I've heard they are more economical as well - I think that makes sense as it's supply and demand rather than heating a pool of water to sit in a tank upstairs that you may/maynot use!

Lucy

Wow Em, iam impressed!!! You know your stuff doll :wink: I used to work for a heating contractors, now work for local council in the gas heating section...we are fitting condensing combi boilers for our tenants now. They are reliable and economical...

I have had a combi for 10 years now, its great. Hot water on demand, and I think I have only ever had an engineer to it twice in them 10 years, once for a pump and once for a diverter valve as Em mentioned before

Always use a CORGI registered gas fitter for installation/maintenance and try to have it serviced on an annual basis. It should give you many years of reliable service.

I LOVE boilers, they float my boat!! :shock: :rotfl:

I wish I had a combi boiler

I do have a boiler, but it's been broken since last Christmas Eve - I'm not actually sure what kind of boiler it is. Fat lot of good it is anyway.

My house is freezing :(
And my water is freezing :( :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back