Cold advice

Emma58

Reaction score
Hi :D

For the last week I have had a really bad cold which I just can't seem to get rid of and now it is moving on to my chest. The aches,pains and shivering just don't seem to be going.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to ease it?

It is so frustrating only being able to take Paracetamol and not much else.

I have been off work because I feel so rubbish and I think I will be visiting my doctor again tomoro to get a sick note. I feel so terrible as I only started my job 3 weeks ago, told them I am pregnant and now I'm off with a bad cold.

Sorry girls all I've done on here today is complain.

for some of us, this has been a symptom :(

my nose blowing is over, but I'm still coughing up flem :(

(that's not helpful is it... but it might be if it's illness related to pregnancy, which employer isn't allowed to do anything about... :D )

I feel really bad taking time off already but, I really don't feel well enough to go back to work. Is this a common thing to experience in early pregnancy?

Also I'm still suffering with nausea which isn't helping matters either!

If you can not shift your cold, please do go and see a doctor, it can play havoc on your body.

Panadol is really the only thing you can take, however, there are home remedies that will help i.e.

Vick's vapor rub in hot water, place this in a big bowl, with a towel over your head and breath deep. Btw only use a bit of the stuff, very strong! You can use menthol crystals for this too.

Camamile tea with honey, this will make you sleepy though

boil water (1 pint), add in half a lemon or a whole one if you can stand the taste, cut up some ginger into small bits and boil with the water and lemon, add a little suger an boil. This may taste horrid but works wonders.

Plenty of fruit and veg to keep the body going AND keep yourself as warm as possible.

Hope you feel better soon xxxx

im just recovering from the same thing. took a good 2 1/2 weeks to shift but thankfully its going now. i did most of JB's ideas which helped a bit.

hope your feeling better soon x

Be careful as doctors opinions vary as to what is acceptable to take and what isnt. My doctor said Lemsip (cold and flu variety drinks) were fine to take and I had a couple of sachets for my cold, as my nose was bunged up completely!

But then after looking it up it says its best avoided due to the decongestant it contains which has not been tested in pregnancy! The likelihood of anything terrible happening is minimal, however, the safest way to treat colds in pregnancy is as Josephine Beth said, have plenty of hot drinks, just hot water, fresh lemons and honey, and camomile is great for tummy upsets too. Apart from that, nothing but panadol and lots of rest and it'll go away. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back