• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

co-sleeping.. hows it work?!

leckershell

Reaction score
This is going to sound like a completely dumb question.

I understand the logic behind co-sleeping, and the concept of it. But how does it actually work? Do you hug them like a cuddly toy or just lie next to them not touching them? I assume they stay out the duvet so they don't overheat? Is the baby sposed to lie between me and OH or on my side - if on my side how can I make sure he won't fall off the bed or kick himself down or something..?

I know at some point I may well fall asleep feeding him, but if I know there's this chance, I'd rather get him in a good position for co-sleeping first just in case...

Any ideas? I know a few moms on here do or have done co-sleeping, so basically, physically how does it work! :)

michelle

Hi shell,

I'm interested to see answers to this as I'm not sure either.

We started off my doing co-sleeping in the early days for night feeds, where I would feed our daughter by lying on my side. This was great and as I was so exhausted, once she was latched on and feeding well, I would just go to sleep too. I would feed on either side - her in the middle or on the outside.

However, one morning I woke up to SCREAMING and our daughter who was about 3 or 4 weeks old had fallen out of bed - luckily we have a futon at the moment so she didn't fall far and was fine, but I felt awful and like such a terrible mother. I've not done feeding on that side lying down in bed since. I know you can use pillows to stop this happening but I would be worried of smothering her if she rolled into it (she can't roll obviously, but might kick herself round). I have fed her occassionally when she's in the middle but then I get confused as I don't know what to do with the duvet. If I pull it right down to below her feet then OH and I are chilly! Also I worry that the pillows might accidentally fall and smother her too.

Can anyone help us?

Valentine xxx

Wilow sleeps with me,in a big double bed which is pushed against the wall.I sleep on the outside.The midwives in hospital showed me how to sleep with her-you sort of crook your arm around them so the pillows don't slip

Theres a few books I read on it, and I found a good website on the subject,but I'm not sure if I can post it up?

zebrastripes said:
I found a good website on the subject,but I'm not sure if I can post it up?

Course you can (it's just links to other pregnancy forums and links to people selling their own products we don't allow) - go for it!

Valentine xxx

I co sleep and also sleep with freya in the crook of my arm, if she is feeding and is lying on the outside, I just get OH to budge up and leave a good amount of room between her and the edge!

I co slept with both of mine.

They didn't go between us, I had a bed guard with Brody and with Mason we put the bed against the wall, and he slept next to the wall, under his baby blanket.

EllieG said:
I co sleep and also sleep with freya in the crook of my arm, if she is feeding and is lying on the outside, I just get OH to budge up and leave a good amount of room between her and the edge!

I do the same with George. I always wake and tell my OH if I put him in the middle too so he's aware the baby is in the bed.

I never knew this was "ok" as I'd been told by older relatives not to let the baby sleep in with me. :wall: Thanks again to this Forum I now know better. :)

Thanks so much for the linked site Zebrastripes. :hug:
:hug:

leckershell said:
This is going to sound like a completely dumb question.

I understand the logic behind co-sleeping, and the concept of it. But how does it actually work? Do you hug them like a cuddly toy or just lie next to them not touching them? I assume they stay out the duvet so they don't overheat? Is the baby sposed to lie between me and OH or on my side - if on my side how can I make sure he won't fall off the bed or kick himself down or something..?

I know at some point I may well fall asleep feeding him, but if I know there's this chance, I'd rather get him in a good position for co-sleeping first just in case...

Any ideas? I know a few moms on here do or have done co-sleeping, so basically, physically how does it work! :)

michelle

when baby budge was tiny i used to feed her in bed with me so she was naturally vclose to me and during the night she snuggled into me.
Now she just lies in the middles of us. She will cuddle me if she wants and sometimes she cuddles daddy.

When Stanley was tiny he'd lie next to me, on top of the duvet, a chest of drawers and a pillow protecting him from falling.

Now he sleeps between us, as he's big enough for us not to squash him. More likely the other way round! :lol:

He does have a problem lying straight though, and prefers horizontal. I've lost count of the times I've been kicked in the face.

I used to co slepp with Keeley i had the bed next to the wall on one side and me on the other... now when i have bed guards all round the bed as she fell off a few months back... but she's usually in her own cot now unless she's ill :)

In hospital a MW brought Isaac back to me in the wee small hrs and laid him next to me in bed and I woke 3hrs later in the same position and nearly had heart attack I was so scared I'd just slept with him, and with no bed guard, and totally passed-out tired asleep :shock: I think it's a do it and see how you feel process?

Since getting home, Isaac has slept at either side, with or without duvet on him, with no bed guard, in my arm, out my arm, above my boobs, beneath my boobs, any position we find comfortable basically :D I never worry about him falling, I worry more when he's in his cot, and if he's not comfy he'll say so :lol: but he is a lot older now, so with your LO maybe not as easy for him to say if he's not.

When co-sleeping its a fact that Mummy will heat up or cool down to accomodate LO's temperature needs. The skin to skin contact is priceless too, and LO will wake less, or rather, not wake you, because you're right there next to them, unless they need a feed.

Very best wishes with your co-sleeping, I'm sure you will find what works for you and Ryan :hug:

I'm confused!! :think:
My OH has always wanted Dan to sleep with us, but it says its a huge NO NO as far as SIDS is concerned. I'm going to sound silly here, but co-sleeping is your baby sleeping in your bed with you??
My OH is always moaning that I have to follow all the rules (which I do!)...........so are you just using them as guidelines and not set in stone? I would love Dan to sleep with us once in a while. Do a lot of parents co-sleep regardless of the SIDS advice??

I was told that as long as you hadn't been drinking and don't smoke co-sleeping was fine. I always just did what came naturally, when he was very small I put him on the outside of the bed with me in the middle and OH on the other side.

Once he got a bit more mobile he just went in the middle, I always pulled the duvet down a bit so it covered his legs only, or if he was in a grobag he went on top of the duvet.

He didn't sleep with us every night, it was usually when he'd woken up for the 10th time that night and I couldn't be bothered to put him back. And whenever he woke up after 6am but before it was actually time to get up.

I don't let him come in with us as much now because he started helping himself to boob in the middle of the night, which was a really bizarre way to be woken up. (He tried to help himself from daddy's nipple one night, now that was funny!!!)

Grace has always started off in her own bed but always ends up in our... usually any time from 3 am onwards. She lies inbetween us.... I wake OH up and tell him that Grace is in the bed and we both move out pillows outwards so that she lies inbetween us, but up high where the pillows would have been. She used to just lie there but now likes to sleep on her side and cuddles into either one of us depending on which side she decides to sleep.

We absolutely love waking up with her. She always wakes in a good mood with heaps of smiles and giggles and it sets Dh and I both up for a lovely day ahead. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back