cleaning ears!?

Amy_J

Reaction score
sorry for the random question...lol. but how do you ladies clean your lo's ears? i know that cotton buds arent meant to be used. so i dont. but my lo has really waxy ears and after the bath i can see huge chunks that im dying to pick out (bad mummy im terrible for picking....cradlecap earwax u name it!!!) so far i jave just rolled a corner of a vest if u get me and slowly wiped it out.....is there a better way!?!i dont want him having waxy ears that people can see and think hes unclean!!!! lol xxx

Zach sometimes has really waxy ears, I use a cottonbud to clean round the outside if his ear wen he gets out the bath but I don't go in the hole. I wait til he is asleep and pick it out with my little finger nail, gross I know but like you I'm a picker and don't want people to think he is dirty! I pick his nose then too, he won't let me near his nose wen he is awake! X

I wait until it's out far enough and use a baby wipe, Odhrán has really waxy ears too, the doc said it's a sign of a healthy ear xx

I had no idea you weren't supposed to use cotton buds. I use asda's little angels safety buds after every bath.

Zach sometimes has really waxy ears, I use a cottonbud to clean round the outside if his ear wen he gets out the bath but I don't go in the hole. I wait til he is asleep and pick it out with my little finger nail, gross I know but like you I'm a picker and don't want people to think he is dirty! I pick his nose then too, he won't let me near his nose wen he is awake! X

hahah i love it, i pick my lo's nose too but when he's awake and he hates me for it but i cant help myself. oh thinks im gros but i dont care!!!! glad im not the only baby nose picker!!!

I had no idea you weren't supposed to use cotton buds. I use asda's little angels safety buds after every bath.

i got these bought for me in a baby basket full of goodies but everyone told me cotton buds are a serious no go even those special baby ones!!! :s

I've always used cotton buds on AJ.
From what I understand, they say not to use them as you can push the wax back into the ear or harm the ear by poking them in too far.
As long as you dont poke them in the ear and are careful I dont see there is any harm in it.

I think it's also to do with those tiny little hairs that help clean the ears and push wax out. They are quite easy to damage so then you get ongoing problems cos the ear can't clean itself. However, I think I just heard this somewhere so it might not be right :)

Tbh I probably would use buds if Odhran wasn't such a wriggler, I couldn't chance it x

I use a soft cloth wipe for the outside and the wax usually balls itself up and comes out of its own accord :)

How come?

i heard something about the hairs too that are easy to damage and a risk of pushing the wax back in the hole...! grrrrr. maybe when they are older its safter to use them?! i dont know!

We aren't advised to use them either I don't think, I think if you use them sensibly on the outer ear there shouldn't be a problem, each to their own though x

Im also a picker and used to 'gently' use cotton buds never poking down the ear, but using them to gently cleanse the area that could be seen, also a favourite of mine was baby oil to soften cradle cap and then gently lift it with little finger nail lol, he's 9 now but still comes to me after a bath with the cotton buds to 'do' his ears,

:) x

Last edited:
I was wondering how you're meant to do it! K never had waxy ears, but Es are terrible! I'm a picker too and tend to do it whilst she's having her milk, but can only do one side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back