Classic girls names

I love that a lot of the old names are coming back. I really like Harriet and the shortened version Hattie. Also love love love Iris and Esther Primrose is just gorgeous too. Also really like Clara and have been thinking of this name if I have another girl, as a middle name as is a variant of my name.

How about

Anna
Charlotte
Eleanor
Ada
Stella
Edith
Hazel
Josephine
Marguerite
Minnie
Ruby
Elsie
Genevieve

That's the trouble, I don't want anything too popular, like a name to be unique, but there are so beautiful names out there ~ hubby is just very picky! Wondering now about felicity ....

Maggie is very sweet! X

Felicity is a lovely name. The only Felicity I've ever known is a character in neighbors.

Felicity Smoak is in Arrow

Mabel
Sadie
Rena (Reena)
Elspeth
Diedre
Wendy
Doris
Annie
Alice
Elsie
Morag
Hetty
Agatha
Flora
Doreen
Iona
Aggie
Thelma

Ivy, Iris, Vada, Brenda, Barbara, Veronica, Emma, Celia, Delilah, Cordelia, Eliza, Fleur, Flora, Georgia, Susannah, Serena, Juliet, Julia, Dorothea, Martha, Annie, Anna, Alice, Daisy, Catherine, Heather, Amanda, Lorna, Jane, Victoria, Ruby...

I love the name Florence (and Florrie for short)
I used to nanny for a little girl called Nancy - which I thought was cute, she now has a baby sister called Daphne.
My friends sister has a baby girl Beatrice but she's just known as 'B'
If our little man had been pink we would have been choosing between: Evangeline, Adelaide and Ruby
Xxx

Thanks everyone! Hubby is now coming around to Florence, as long as we don't shorten it, which is a shame as I love florrie too. But still, can't win every battle!

Ah that's good :) I have a friend named Florence (funnily enough our mums met at an antenatal class 25 years ago!) she was named Florence because that's where she was conceived in Italy. My mum always jokes that they should have named me 'Faffenhoffen' because that's where I was conceived in Austria :lol:
Xxx

Haha ~ possibly not quite as beautiful a name as Florence!! I was just about to be super dumb and ask if you name is actually summer (as I love that name) but see now summer15 is prob for a summer15 baby! X

Edith,
Violet (love that!),
Amy,
Rose,
Ruth,
Mabel,
Winnifred,
Constance,
Patience,
Betty,
Lillian
Gertrude,
April
erm....that's me out if names lol

My nans name is Violet! :)

They are all lovely classics xx

I also love Martha! If we have a girl I will be doing my best to convince hubby!

Last edited:
Millicent,
Constantine,
Mirabelle,
Theodora,
Rosalind,
Zadie,
Sadie,
Aviva,
Devon,
Indigo,
Cleo,
Auden,
Pilar,
Pippa,
Georgiana,
Octavia,
Zinnia,
Romy,
Verity,
Tierney,
LuLu,
Cassidy,

Randomly been on a site and it has "old fashioned" girls names. Some sound pretty hip :)

Haha ~ possibly not quite as beautiful a name as Florence!! I was just about to be super dumb and ask if you name is actually summer (as I love that name) but see now summer15 is prob for a summer15 baby! X

Haha yes indeed :) though I agree - Summer is a lovely name!
(My name is Kimberley :wave: )xxx

We have a Beatrice so I am obviously very biased... I frigging adore her name though and when OH suggested it my heart just knew it was the right name!!

We also had Elizabeth on our list which is very common but also timeless and classic

I like Nancy and Violet too - similarly classic but slightly less common than Elizabeth?

Another name we loved was Juliette.

My current fave name of all time though is Jean, it is due a revivial !!

X

Last edited:
I love all of these names! Must make me a little old fashioned but I have an old fashioned name myself - Frances.

My little girl is a Connie (Constance) and I am in love with her name. She was nearly a Stella though which is also lovely IMO! Also love Betsy, Winnie, Nell, Effie, Violet, Iris, Edie. My friend has just had an Ottoline, which is very unusual!

Are you any closer to settling on one yet?x

Ah thank you for those suggestions!! We haven't discussed names for a few weeks now, and since hubby has decided he now quite likes florence (my fave) I am wondering if we will use that? Almost too nervous to bring it up again in case he says no! X

My name is Tess ~ might be a bit weird! Thanks for the suggestions x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back