Class advice

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
I had my first birthing class last Saturday and the more I think about it the crapper it was! There was no encouragement of interaction between the mums at all!

I learnt nothing new really as everything explained I knew from wither books or on here. The midwife even said at the begining of the class that she won't be telling us anything differant to the books! It was good for OH as he refuses to look at my books or talk to me about the birth, so I'm glad he now knows the signs and whats normal/not so if I'm freaking out over anything I have another brain, having said that I'm starting to wondering if he can stomach birth or if i'll be in there on my own :| The whole thing tho we were just talked at (encouraged to ask questions) but nothing hugely informative.

Anyway we got a tour of the labour ward (which I was a bit unimpressed with....not sure what I was expecting really). It was clean and very calm! The midwives all seem lovely and to know what they are doing.

When I left the class I started thinking of things that hadn't bloody been mentioned, that I would've like to have known about but didn't think to ask like for eg the vitamin K injection, delivery of the placenta, BREATHING EXERCISES!

I now feel more unprepaired than ever :S

The thing is, I have a second class this Saturday on looking after the baby and feeding etc. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth me going or not. If I thought it was going to be practical (like bathing dolls or something) I'd be more up for it, but to sit in a room and be 'told' how to look after a baby (which I know as my brother and sister and 7 and 5 so I was changing their nappies not that long ago!) I want to more 'brush up' on my skills! I'm feeling very disheartened about going! My OH can't make it because of work so I'm having to get a friend to come with me and pick me and and drop me home after, and I know she'll be bored!

What should I do?

Tbh I'm the same with the classes I go to. PF has been a million times more useful to me :roll:

The parent craft class I went to at my local hospital was useless! They just talked at us and was like what they said is what you HAVE to do and every other way is wrong!
They made out like your a terrible person if you decide not to breastfeed and they just didnt tell me anything I didnt know already.
Infact the only thing they said that I didn't know and sounds like a load of balls to be honest was that apparantly your not supposed to use any products in the babys bath water or use any product on them until they are 6 months old!!! :shock:
I mean the first week or so I could understand but 6 months seems a bit extreme.
She then went on to slag all johnsons products off for about half an hour saying its the absolute worst thing to use :/ I mean its been about for years!
She just seemed stuck in the dark ages and very opinionated.
I think I'll be sticking to the advise of PF :)

^wow 6 months old that a bit extreme what if they've got hair or get really messy.

LOL, I went to my first NCT class last night. The woman running it was a total hippy dippy and kept banging on about 'climbing the mountain of labour to the joyful heart at the top' and we werent allowed to use negative words.

She asked what we would like in an ideal birth and I said 'painless' and she got cross with me and said it was a very negative word' and we should be saying things like 'bonding' and 'exciting'.

By the time she started on how a 'due date' creates negativity because we then blame babies for being 'early' or 'late' the whole class were rolling their eyes.

She refused to focus on practial questions at all. I very much doubt I will be able to convince my husband to attend another!

LOL, I went to my first NCT class last night. The woman running it was a total hippy dippy and kept banging on about 'climbing the mountain of labour to the joyful heart at the top' and we werent allowed to use negative words.

She asked what we would like in an ideal birth and I said 'painless' and she got cross with me and said it was a very negative word' and we should be saying things like 'bonding' and 'exciting'.

By the time she started on how a 'due date' creates negativity because we then blame babies for being 'early' or 'late' the whole class were rolling their eyes.

She refused to focus on practial questions at all. I very much doubt I will be able to convince my husband to attend another!

That made me laugh and I read it out to OH!

Did u pay for that?

Yes, over £200! We have 8 classes in all.

I'm ok with it as the other couples seemed well informed and all at the same stage as me so I guess we can all help each other.

Mind you, we already have that by being on here!

Lol oh dear star doesn't sound like she appealed to many then :lol:

Not really! She was very nice and would have been great teaching a yoga class

But I kind of expected someone 'qualified' to teach at NCT.

Or that was at least willing to discuss the options. It really annoys me when people are so hardcore. Out nhs Mw was really good in that way, saying all of the options and we do what is best for us etc....... Everything should be open to discussion, not dismissed. Rah.

Ive decided not to book any classes for these reasons, dont think they can tell me anything i havent already read about or can find out about. My hospital do a 'drop in' session once a week where we have a tour and get given labour, birth plan tips etc. So im going to do this mainly so i can familiarise myself with the labour suite etc xx

I couldn't get onto the NHS classes down here so went for NCT but had a better experience than Star - our teacher didn't mind if we used negative words, gave both sides, and was open to everyones opinions. I think if I had the same experience at an NHS class as you Pinky I probably wouldn't go x x x

I've got a scan tomorrow and my mums taking me do might ask her opinion!

How topical, this article appeared on the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15736415

Star, if that happens at my NCT classes I'll be complaining and asking for my money back. I want some practical advice not some idealist hippy dippy crap. Get really annoyed when people impose there ideas on you. What you need is all the information so you can make informed decisions at the time.

I went to my first class last Thursday and will not be going back this week - I did not get info on anything I did not already know about and it was totally opposite to what I have been told at hypnobirthing classes - even DH said he was annoyed at the things that were either totally missed out or washed over - no talk of breathing techniques, delayed cord clamping or vit K - and she told us if we did not deliver within an hour of becoming fully dilated that we would have to use forceps - I was at the hospital today changing from community led midwives to hospital led midwives as it was my community midwife taking the classes.

Do you think we have all been spoiled by PF and everything we've learned on here?? :oooo:

I found my nhs classes great, we were told all about the vit k injection, breathing excersizes, the placenta and after birth etc. U never know, it might get better xx

Oh star how awful about ur nct!
Have to say mine have been brill, the lady is really nice and encourages humour in the class.
Really hope ur next one is better xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back