Childcare worries

Sarah13

Reaction score
I decided to start looking for some sort of childcare for when I go back to uni in September but its making me feel really upset, I'm feeling sick at the thought of leaving him. I didn't expect to feel like this as I didn't when I went back to work after having my DD. I can't even bear to look anymore but know I probably need to. How on earth do you find somewhere or someone you like and trust who has the same parenting outlook as you? Plus I won't know my time table until I go back and with my hubby working off shore he will be home a lot. I was thinking maybe a nanny would suit me better, anyone ever had a nanny?

Oz started nursery at 12 months old, he was prob ready a bit before but we had to wait for a place and also it was perfect timimg for when I was ready!

Defo best thing we have done for him so far! His development since starting is amazing, we were always so proud how far he'd come on his own but being with his peers it's so fast and everyday he goes he grows!

I miss him, but I've gone back to work for 16 hours a week and it's so nice to have some down time then get to see him after is the best thing. Luckly our nursery is at my OHs work so OH is always a few mins away, which makes us both feel alot better.

Oz cries every tme he is dropped off, proper mental, OH has to drop him off and gets really upset, but soon as LO thinks OH has gone he stops crying and starts playing and always has had the lovliest time in his reports, and he really is doing so well so we know he doens't hate it really. And Oz had really bad time weaning and being with his peers has brought him up to speed with all that, he's now great with food.

I defo recommend nurseries, but obviously you have to find one you are really happy with, not just a place because LO has to go kind of thing.

xxxxxx

If you can find a nanny thats a good idea, someone you trust that can give your LO individual attention, I personally worked at a few nurserys and hate them with a passion as i have seen the 'other side' that the parents dont see, not that every nursery will be like that just the few i have been to. So i will not send Alice there until she can at least speak.

An example me and another woman was left to look after 18 children (i was a student not qualified and she was a qualified nursery nure) 18 children between two people! all needing bums changing feeding etc, it was horrible no children got any real time with us because we where so busy doing the basics, of course the owners daughter and friend who where ment to be working turned up just before mums and dads came so it looked like we had all been there when they hadn't. lots of stories dont be put off by me its just my experiences and why i hate nurserys x

I think in your case, because of ur uni timetable & not knowing when OH will be available, a childminder might be the best idea. With most nurseries (in Glasgow) its a standard rate for each day (no diff amt for 1/2 days)

I'm sure on the council websites it gives you a list of childminders.

Is a nanny the same as a childminder? Does a nanny come to your house? Im not sure if they are as easy to get ahold of.

:)

We do get 1/2 day rates at our nursery and also they are fairly flexible. So the morning is 8.30am-1pm and 1pm-6pm and LO can be dropped off anywhere in that slot. So 11-1 or even 12.30-1 etc, but if you go 12.30-1.30 you have to pay a whole day coz you cross over from morning to afternoon lol We have to pay £38/day, but he only ever does mornings 8.30-1 so cost us £19 p/session.

we are in edinburgh and can pay for half days as well. its £33for us, but we are quite far out of town.
what seems to happen here is that you send them to nursery and then steal the person that looks after your baby for a nanny!

I'm so lucky I only need to cover 1 day and not until the end of the year as family are looking after her when I go back in May but I'm dreading the search and just hope I can find a good one that doesn't cost loads!

you can also try childcare.co.uk they have nannies/nurseries/childminders everything on there.

my OH and his sister had a nanny from being 0 to about 13. She was a live in nanny so did everything with them as aprt of the amily, went away with them on holidays, when they moved country the works. To be honest OH and his sister wrship their nanny still! they love her to pieces. She would do anything or P and J even now - she even flew to england from NZ for our wedding a couple of years ago!

I dont think id have a nanny unless we had lives like oh;s parents where they worked crazy long hours etc and it was necessary to have omeone else in your lives to take on full responsibility of your child. We love our childminder and im so glad that we had one for J. He loves it there and he gets really good attention levels! Shes also a lot cheaper than a nursery but i tbh i think shes better adn when he gets to the age of needing early years stuf hell go to a nursery but at 1 we dont think its really necessary!

Erm......i think i rambled but that website is AMAZING! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back