• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Child care

Sarah13

Reaction score
So I've decide i need to find a child minder or nursery ready for going back to uni in Sept. Any advice on what to ask or look out for that I might forget to ask? I've got a few to meet this week, dreading it really as i don't want to leave him but thought I need the next few months to get to know a child minder, or his name down for a decent nursery.

Although OFSTED results give you an idea of what a setting is like, don't make a decision based purely on that. At my last nursery we didn't get a brilliant result, but that was down to an issue within the office and didn't relate to the care from the staff.

Go with your instinct, if you're not sure about a person or a place then don't go there. It'll only make you worry more and be unhappy, and your child will pick up on it.

Go to a couple of nurseries and then compare them, it's really interesting to see how different places are. It'll give you an idea of what you like and dislike.

Don't be scared to ask about staff qualifications and first aid certificates.

I was a nursery nurse for 8 years and now a nanny, so feel free to shout if you want to know anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks Titch85 that's good advice. I think gut instinct tells you loads. It's funny how you speak to local mums and some say how great a place is then the next hates it! Didnt know about OFSTED not being the full picture, that's good to know.

Hi Sarah I always fine if they have an 'open door' policy as in they don't mind what time parents come etc it means they have nothing to hide !! Also with Uni would flexi place b better ? That way u won't have to fork out for a full time place every week. I work shifts so our nursery does this so I can change which days week by week xxxx

Im gonna be stalkin this thread, as I've just started looking. I'm hoping for a child minder rather than a nursery, but so far no luck! :( xxx

Hi I've just put sam's name down for when I return to work
I asked the following:
How do they manage behaviours from children Inc positive?
What meals are there, are they freshly made?
What is the purpose of each day? (sam's nursery has goals set on an I dividual bases)
What communication is there with parents?
What is the routine and what if sam's is different?
Cancellation and sickness policy?
Safeguarding policy?
Staff training?
Do children go out every day?
Are the age groups mixed?
Are there key workers?
Security policy?

I also stopped some of the families who were going in and asked what they thought!

I think that was it but go with your gut also I think mumsnet have reviews on nurseries etc x

Hi I've just put sam's name down for when I return to work
I asked the following:
How do they manage behaviours from children Inc positive?
What meals are there, are they freshly made?
What is the purpose of each day? (sam's nursery has goals set on an I dividual bases)
What communication is there with parents?
What is the routine and what if sam's is different?
Cancellation and sickness policy?
Safeguarding policy?
Staff training?
Do children go out every day?
Are the age groups mixed?
Are there key workers?
Security policy?

I also stopped some of the families who were going in and asked what they thought!

I think that was it but go with your gut also I think mumsnet have reviews on nurseries etc x

wow - very thourough. i have no idea what to ask. xxx

I'm on the look out for a nursery too. I dont think i'll have that many options tho, need to find out what the closest ones are first, then pick the best out the bunch. I used to have one that was quite far away & I found it more hassle than it was worth to travel to it. I think its important to find out what the staff turnaround is like coz if theres a lot of staff coming & going it can effect LO. Childminders i've never been keen on i like LO to have a variety of friends to play with & if childminder is ill, your screwed basically. I need something 100% reliable.

Good luck finding something, i'm back at work in july & haven't started yet.

xxxxxxxxx

Those are all great questions. I can only base this on minor problems I've had.

Ask the maximum number of children she's allowed and then look at her mode of transport. My childminder had more children than seats in the car. I found the idea of them walking some distance to school in the rain just so she could squeeze in an extra kid a problem. Later after Charlie left her to go to his new school, I found out she would sometimes squeeze them all in the car and the older kids ie my boy, wouldn't have a belt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find out what she intends to feed them. I was never happy with what mine cooked, pasta with cheese on top (no sauce, just cheese), sausages sausages and more sausages (otherwise known as salt salt and more salt) etc.

Finally definitely ask about pets, I do not want my child around dogs of any kind even friends dogs or dogs in the park.

That's quite scary JoJo!
Some great questions and things to think about thanks.
So today I've decided Im officially a snob! The lady i visited today was lovely but her house wasn't so lovely! I think this could be hard going as i didn't realise how important the house would be, it didn't look that clean and was so dark and dingey and shabby which i feel terrible for being so picky about! Her Hubby was also a child minder so they can take 10 kids!

i think if you can find the right childminder that's great but what has put me off is that opposite me there is a childminder and everyday the kids outing is to sainsbury's where she can do her shopping/ get petrol/ go to the bank etc. fine if its a once off - but everyday? they all look so glum and walk around with cans of juice as well.

not to scare you but nurseries fill up fast and there is often a wait list? my lo had her name down when i was 6 months pregnant and she is going next week - so a year in advance. i would look seriously now!

Her Hubby was also a child minder so they can take 10 kids!

I wouldn't want that for my baby you can guarantee they don't both give their attention to 5 kids each it's probably more like 10 to 1 and the other ones cooking dinner etc.

I signed up with a childminder today for October. I viewed a nursery which I really wasn't happy with, imo 10months is too young for a nursery environment, (having worked in a nursery) I felt they did't get anything out of it really as they are too little to need vast amounts of interaction with lots of other children an attentive childminder was what we wanted. Our lady will have only f on one day and only one other child on the other day. When I met her I just felt comfortable, her house was lovely but lived in, lots of space, great references, good ofsted and training and she got giggles out of my clingy baby LOL, so after that I stopped looking as felt she ticked all boxes and what else was I going to improve on? She's cheaper than a nursery too. However be aware you'll have to pay a retainer to hold the place til Sept. They are within their rights to charge 50% per month until you.start which was a scary shock! We managed to persuade her to only take a full months pay! Good luck Xx

I personally don't like the idea of child minders I know there are good and bad in all professions but I do believe you reduce risk of neglect or abuse when there are witnesses and a good staff ratio. The nursery I have chosen has CCTV in all rooms, so god forbid sam came back with a bruise I could request the footage to be reviewed (independently via safeguarding) if this was someones house I would have nothing to look back on.
Just my opinion x

I would prefer a childminder while she's so little, as I agree with lettie about not needing a lot of peer interaction yet, I'd rather she had more individualised care at this age. Xxx

i'm sorry your visit didn't go well, it could be the best childminder with the best "parenting" skills but still not have a suitable house. I would be exactly the same, its where your child would be spending most of his time.

I had a pretty bad experience with a childminder when i was younger & im probably put off with that.

Alot of the nurseries i've visited they have a seperate room for small babies, with 2/3 to each staff member, my LO used to have great fun screeching & babbling with her friends.

xxxxx

I'm now looking for childminders for R in November - I have no experience of doing this before!!

I do NOT want her to go to a house that is OCD about germ free, clean and tidy and if they have pets all the better!!

I know I will need to like the person first, I'm a firm believer in trusting my gut instinct!!

Its so hard, Im on the fence really with which I prefer as both have good and bad points. I like the idea of more attention with a minder while he's little but a nursery seems more regulated and is specifically designed for children. The waiting lists are long here too for the nicest ones so I've probably missed out but Ill look anyway and see. Got another child minder to visit tomorrow

I'm now looking for childminders for R in November - I have no experience of doing this before!!

I do NOT want her to go to a house that is OCD about germ free, clean and tidy and if they have pets all the better!!

I know I will need to like the person first, I'm a firm believer in trusting my gut instinct!!

I thought this too but changed my mind a bit today!

Alot of the nurseries i've visited they have a seperate room for small babies, with 2/3 to each staff member, my LO used to have great fun screeching & babbling with her friends.

Regulations for child to adult ratios in nurseries:

0 to 2 year olds - 3 children to 1 adult
2 to 3 year olds - 4 children to 1 adult
3 to 5 year olds - 8 children to 1 adult

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members