Child care

I was a nursery nurse for 5 years when I left school and i've been childminding for the past 7 years so have a pretty good insight into both! Each and every child is very different and requires different environments that best suit their personality/lifestyle/needs etc. I've seen children go from being 3 months in the baby unit right up until they leave to go to primary school and they've thrived. I've also seen children in nursery that struggle due to being shy it's almost like they 'get lost' in amongst the louder more confident children. These children would've benfited from a childminder. In my honest opinion if I had to put Jack with one or the other (thank goodness I don't need to) I would go with a childminder. I just feel like the lower ration of children makes me feel safer than 10-15 kiddies in 1 room.

Sleepy Sue those are fab qusetions to ask a nursery. I'd also ask how they record accidents etc as well as asking how often there is a staff change over - the main problems that our Parents had were the amount of staff changes. Some children form a strong bond with a particular person and when they go it can have a big affect on the child, with a childminder the bond stays because it's the only person caring for them.

With regards to childminders, make sure he/she shows you all of the paperwork she is legally supposed to show you so contracts, registers, policies (this should be as thick as a dictionary is they're any good!). Also ask if they have any regular visitors etc. All of my Parents have loved that we have lots of different but regular faces popping in e.g my Mum, Sister, Neice and even my Grandad!
If they cook for the children (I provide brekkie, lunch, tea & snacks) ask to see menu's and if it's all freshly cooked how long are the children left for while it's cooking (I do a cooked lunch but usually prepare it the night before). Make sure you see their certificate (should be on display) aswell as their police check & 1st aid certificate. Ask about the Early Years Foundation Stage EYFS which is a framework that all childminders MUST make sure their children adhere to. If they don't work with the EYFS then they're not doing their job!! If you don't know much about EYFS have a google :)

Hope all that waffle helps a bit x

Thanks Claire thats very useful info, wish you were nearby lol!

Well today's childminder wasn't even in when I went round, I then called twice and got no answer. Not sure what to do about her as that sounds unreliable to me straight away but then I'm also thinking something may have come up and she wasn't able to let me know. I've booked to see a few nurserys too to compare.

Well emailed todays child minder and it was my stupid baby brian I went to the wrong address! Oops!

Good luck with the nurseries & childminder when you go

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back