Chased up maternity allowance....

Just checked out government site and it says employers should tax and ni smp the same as any other income :(

Ive just sent in an application for this, how do they tax you on it, im self employed and pay my tax at the end of jan so do you know if its taxed as its paid or you do it at end of the finicial year? X

as far as i can tell its that employers can claim back the amount of pay in smp but still have to pay your tax and NI. i cant see how they can justify taxing 128.37 per week as its pretty much poverty pay.

I haven't began receiving my Maternity Allowance yet so can't say 100% whether you get taxed or not, but I highly doubt it, as it's not high enough to be taxed.
In my job when I work, I do 25hrs a week (so it works out that on MA I'm only losing about £20 a week) and I barely got taxed off my wages as it is!

I rang maternity allowance today to start my leave officailly today so a month from today give or take a few days I'll b paid. I should recieve a letter in next few days saying what date I'll b paid on but I don't even get the £128 a week I get £66.30 and have been told you don't get taxed on mat allowance at all, I don't In my current job either. Knowing what there like I won't recieve letter for weeks!!

Last edited:
Ive just sent in an application for this, how do they tax you on it, im self employed and pay my tax at the end of jan so do you know if its taxed as its paid or you do it at end of the finicial year? X

You would include the income from mat allowance in your self assessment at the end of the year hun. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back