Charlie Thomas 7th April 4.57am 7lb 3oz

fifi211

Reaction score
Finally getting round to posting birth story, sorry it has taken a while but here goes.......

Well after being desperate to not be induced, time finally ran out and I had to go into hospital on Sunday 6th April. I was so scared and upset when we left home, anyway we got to the hospital and I was monitored by a lovely midwife who was already trying to talk me out of having an epidural :shock:, we were in a room by ourselves which I was really grateful for. After being on the monitor for 20 mins it picked up I was already contracting but I wasn't in any pain, I had a pessary and then we went to the restaurant in the hospital and had something to eat and a walk around.

It was starting to look like nothing was going to happen and a new midwife came over and put me back on the monitor before checking to see if I would need another pessary and they said it was likely they would have to send hubby home :( While on the monitor I was starting to get quite uncomfortable braxton hicks, and 5 mins before m/w was due to come back in at 9.25pm my waters went, within minutes contractions started and were quite intense but was able to walk and breathe through them. They told hubby he could stay and that when the pain got unbearable to let them know and they would take me down to delivery so I could have some pain relief, but in the end at around midnight they came in and said we think you had better go down.

When we got down there they showed us a few different rooms and let us choose which one we wanted, there was birthing balls, a birthing chair, rocking chair and a swing type thing, the facilities were fantastic. They asked me what pain relief I wanted and I opted for gas and air as I was still kinda coping ok. When they examined me I was only 3cm, so was prepared for a long stretch. The gas and air was brilliant and in between contractions I felt fine, hubby kept asking me if I wanted an epidural as I was so adamant before I went in but found I was still coping with just the entinox. I couldn't stay on the bed and walked round lots or sat in the rocking chair, eating crisps and crunching ice :D Me and hubby were even laughing and giggling in between contractions and the m/w even come in and said how calm and relaxed it was in our room.

The m/w (who was fab) then came in and said she needed to examine me but the pain was getting a little worse by this point so I asked for something other than the entinox and I had diamorphine which didn't do anything but make me sleepy. Within about 1 hour I started shaking and the pain was getting unbearable and I said I wanted an epidural, so I was examined and was told I was ready to push. This for me was the only really painful part but I was only pushing for half an hour and Charlie was born weighing 7lb 3oz, I had a small tear and needed a few stitches but other than that felt great.

Because we were having a 6 hour discharge we were able to stay in the delivery suite until we went home, which was lovely. All in all it was a brilliant experience and if I had had that experience first time around I wouldn't have a 5 year age gap between Jamie and Charlie. We are all absolutely in love with him.

Will post some pics as soon as we get them put on the laptop.

:cheer: Congratulations and well done for doing it without the epi! :hug:

aww congratulations, glad it wasnt as bad as you were expecting :hug:

Congratulations, our hospital has those swing things, cant wait to try them out!!

Congratulations on the birth of baby Charlie! :cheer:

What a lovely name :hug:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Congratulations!
It sounds like a lovely experience (well as lovely as labour gets) really glad it was good for you :) xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back