car seat fitting

inky

Reaction score
I've had to go and buy another car seat as Cahal doesn't fit in the one that came with his travel system any more :wall2:

I've gone a combi so it will hopefully last him and long time - I've gone for the Britax First Plus (this one http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/first-class-plus)

I've got it fitted but my seat belts are longer than the length needed to fix the seat in - I've pulled it as tight as I can but there is still quite a lot of sideways give. There's no movement forwards / backwards. The lady I bought it off (I got it at our local toys r us) said there should be some sideways movement in case of an impact, but how much is too much? It doesn't move when we go round corners or anything but it just doesn't seem all that sturdy to me - any ideas? I'm going to try and take it tomorrow to see if they will at least check that I've fitted it right - they said they weren't insured to fit it for me at the time but you never know, they might check if I ask nicely?

Thanks girls!

Either go back to toys r us and ask them to giv it a check over or maybe pop to a halfords. If they get funny about you not buying it from there just say you brought it from a different halfords and didnt get it fitted there.

Im sure its all fitted fine by the sounds of it but always best to get it checked :)

I'll definitely take it along tomorrow, I've just looked at some instruction vids on youtube and have done it right, it's probably just me being paranoid :roll:

We have the same carseat! It's also a bit of a nuisance getting bubs in and out (I'm presuming you're fitting it rearward facing) with the seat belt strap in the way. The important bit is the give forward and backwards but of course it's best to check it out. We had a talk from the local police about car seat safety and the officer said they happily check the fitting too. So worth going there if you get no help at the shop! Or tell them that you bought it online if you do go to a different store.

She did also say that the infant carriers (the ones usually with the travel systems) are safe as long as baby is within the weight limit and their head isn't above the top of the seat. It's apparently ok if their legs are longer than the seat. I thought yeah because they bend, she said it's because broken legs heal better than broken heads!!! :shock:

It is a nuisance getting him in and out but can See it will be much better when he's facing forwards. I've only got a little ka too, so it literally takes up half of the room in the back, not just side to side but up and down as well!

Thats not nice about the heads vs legs thing! It's because his legs were starting to hang over the edge that Ive changed, plus he was getting too heavy to lug around lol!

Last edited:
Ive got the brittax one too :) but havnt tried it out yet cos ive got a silvercross ventura at the mo, i gotvthe brittax from ebay n its brand new n never used but ive no idea how to fit it yet, need to get on youtube, lol

Is it comfy for them? X

I've just changed from the Silvercross Ventura :) It's a great seat but it just didn't last him long enough, I was told 9 months when I bought it but he's barely managed 4 and a half!!

I was a bit cheeky in the end, I told Halfords I'd bought it online and they checked it out for me no bother, the bloke was actually really helpful and I was a bit peeved to see they were selling it cheaper too lol! Turns out I'd fitted it just right, I was just being paranoid after all :roll:

I know it sounds rough, but heads do not mend very well :(

A friend worked in a nursery shop and basically it is so much safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible, to go forward facing they should be above the weight limit and able to sit independently and correct themselves when they wobble... Age doesn't really factor in reasons for changing

I know this wasn't really the question/statement but I hope this info helps someone :flower:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ I was told that too, to keep them rear facing as long as possible is much safer!

forgot to say that's why I got the car seat I chose, it's a combi so is fitted rear facing for now and should hopefully last til he's about 4, so will be turned round at some point in the future

I was looking at car seats yesterday, althugh my car is a reasonable size I can't help but feel that my choice will be somewhat limited by the lack of space in the back seats... I really hope he fits the car seat until I go back to work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back