Car seat versus carry cot?

ShineyHappyPeople

Reaction score
I've been looking at prams today online and the 3 in ones are so expensive (pram, carry cot and car seat) so I was considering just buying a pram and car seat and buy a pram where the car seat fits on the pram. But in saying that, if I went out for the whole day, would my baby get uncomfortable sleeping in a car seat compared to a comfortable carry cot where they can lie down flat?

The other thing is that I don't know where else I would use the carry cot part so it would only be used in the pram for the first siz months but perhaps you mums have found them to be very useful?

I'm a bit confused as you can probably tell! At the end of the day the pram and car seat are essential, but its just a matter of whether I need this carry cot part.

Oh, and another question (sorry!!) how long does a baby get out of a car seat, is it around 6 months before they move up a size? Just wondering because someone I know can give me a car seat if I need one (she bought it new so I trust them) and if they dont get much use out of them, I may consider that.

my carry cot has been the best investment we've made so far. India has slept in instead of a moses basket for the first 8 weeks in our room. And although she will sleep in her carseat, she'll never go more than 30mins in it. i think it depends on the baby, which is the trouble as you wont find out till LO arrives.

but from our experience, a true lay flat pram really mad all the difference to us when we had to go out for longer periods of time. or when visiting friends etc!

millylillyrose said:
my carry cot has been the best investment we've made so far. India has slept in instead of a moses basket for the first 8 weeks in our room. And although she will sleep in her carseat, she'll never go more than 30mins in it. i think it depends on the baby, which is the trouble as you wont find out till LO arrives.

but from our experience, a true lay flat pram really mad all the difference to us when we had to go out for longer periods of time. or when visiting friends etc!

Thanks Milly :) The thing is though that we'll have a cot in our room and downstairs so I don't know when we'll get to use a carry cot as I wasn't planning on buying a moses basket etc. I know what your saying about not sleeping for long in a car seat though, thats my concern :think:

Babies shouldn't be in car seats for long periods, if you google it I am sure you will find loads of research that tells you why, but basically it is bad for their spines and for their breathing. We used our car seat on the pram base, but only for really quick trips into the shops etc.

If you aren't fussed on it fitting your pram, maybe you could save money by borrowing the car seat? Infant carriers are used until at least 9 months and 20lbs.

Having the carrycot on the pram is fantastic in the house if you have a grumpy baby as you can push them up and down to settle them, so you probably will use it at home too.

Magic Monkey said:
Babies shouldn't be in car seats for long periods, if you google it I am sure you will find loads of research that tells you why, but basically it is bad for their spines and for their breathing. We used our car seat on the pram base, but only for really quick trips into the shops etc.

If you aren't fussed on it fitting your pram, maybe you could save money by borrowing the car seat? Infant carriers are used until at least 9 months and 20lbs.

Having the carrycot on the pram is fantastic in the house if you have a grumpy baby as you can push them up and down to settle them, so you probably will use it at home too.

Very true, didn't think of that.

I dont have a carry cot but have a travel system, this works fine for us especially as I didnt want to spend too much on the new baby.

I love the car seat on my pram chassis, Its easier to put in the boot of a car and I know it will fit in anyones car boot, isnt as cumbersome as a full pram seat, Esme doesnt look as lost as when she is in the pram part.

The way LO's sits in the car seat is very much like how you cradle a newbe (sort of scooped IYKWIM) It is not reccommended that they are in the car seat for more than two hours but TBH unless you are going somewhere far in the car and transfering the seat to the pram chassis straight away this is not going to be a major problem as you will want rests when out and LO will need feeds and bum changes.

I think unless you want to use the carry cot for an extra bed or are going on long journeys you will be fine without the carry cot. Basically its totally up to you what you op for its more a personal choice than an essential item.

First stage car seats are upto approx 9 months but if you have a bigger baby you may want to change to a bigger one quicker.

Its advised to not leave babies to sleep for extended periods in infant carriers. Due to risk of breathing problems and spine development. Advice is 1-2 hours maximum and to take baby out for a break if going to be in one longer.

I'm not a fan of infant carriers at all so we didn't get one. We got a travel system with a lie flat pram that then doubles as a baby seat where baby can be sat more upright once able to support his own head at around 3 months. I felt much happier knowing LO was lying flat and his airway was not hindered nor was his spine curved into an infant carrier for extended periods of time. Now he is bigger still he faces forward in the pushchair now. We got a 0-4 car seat we used from birth.

We got loads of use out of the pram and the pushchair and didn't miss not having an infant carrier in the least. Having a 0-4 car seat with a newborn insert worked really well for us.

FWIW to me pram and carry cot are one and the same. You can get a pram that converts into a pushchair and then an infant carrier if you want it. Or just go for a different stage car seat and skip the infant carrier altogether? And still get the pram and pushchair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back