• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can't believe Doctor said that!

LoopyLouize

Reaction score
I went for Harlows first jabs today and she also had her 6-9 week check. The doctor asked me what formula she was on so I told him Soya milk. He looked at me funny and said.

"What the hell is she on that for?!?"

I replied "Because after weeks of trying different things and many doctors prescribing differant medicines that DID NOT work, I went of my own instincts that I was originally trying to tell people I thought was the problem and she has been perfect since!"

He then said "So, what was wrong with breastfeeding?" (Looked down his nose at me well and proper!)

I replied "Because I got no help from the local doctors or health visitors and even the midwives at the hospital, I struggled with her and with her being my first panicked and put her on formula"

He then said "Well if you have another, try harder next time"

I was utterly gobsmacked! I went silent! Did not know what to even say!

When I got out the room and sat back down in the waiting room for her jabs appointment I had all sorts of replies I should have said back to him and then got wound up that I never said anything back to him!

I am fuming now!

:shock: I would of complained. In fact, I would go back to the surgery and make a complaint. That's awful!!

Thats really awfull! Hope your ok. Did you manage to get refered to a peaditrician or anything? xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

I feel like complaining but they have closed now! I will have to complain tomorrow, but knowing me I will have calmed down by then!

ZMD - I didn't even think to ask after his comments to me! I was that dumbfounded everything I wanted to ask slipped my mind! I was so flustered and felt so small I just wanted to get out of there :(

I will have to make a new appointment and will refuse to have him as our doctor in future. You can refuse what doctor sees you can't you? x

I would have smacked the lips off his face :shock: Like you it's the incompetence of nhs staff that has messed up breast feeding for me, my1stbaby is the same too. How dare he say that to you? What were you meant to do leave your baby in distress and pain for fear of risking offending some jumped up little twat who's not even the right sex to have first hand experience?

Write out your complaint now hun whilst you are still angry. He has no right to judge you :hug: xxxxxxxx

That is awful! If Harlow is lactose intolerant breastfeeding wouldn't work as there is lactose in breastmilk. I am getting annoyed with the pressure put on moms to bf. A happy mom and baby is the most important thing, and if that means ff or bf, then that is great! Xx

id put it in writing babe and yes you can refuse to see him

Goodness that's disgraceful you definitely should complain in writing so it's official.

Absolutley complain there was no need for him too speak to you like that . *blood boiling*
having problems with my own gp right now and have complained and asked for Lily to be removed from his service :(

Fuming!! What a cheek and very unprofessional please do complain hun xxx

Quite frankly all I can say is OMG...... He is a disgrace to the profession!!!!! Definitely within your rights to complain. I am sooooo pissed off with the awful way new mums are treated by some people in the medical profession!!! I too feel so let down on the breast feeding front and although everyone has been lovely and well meaning, they haven't been particularly helpful or supportive. Jesus, it isn't like there's not enough to worry about being a new mum and all!!

Bloody hell defo complain hun he shouldn't be speaking to people like that. And hopefully if he is disciplined for it, it'll make him feel as small as he made you. What a cock end!

It sounds like you did the right thing putting her on that formula if she's been better since :) xx

OMG

I am totally shocked.

I would defo change doc's how dare he!

What did he say in the end about the formula, have you to keep on using it?

I'm really shocked. & raging for you

xxxxxxxx

Makes you feel like such a failure doesn't it??

FF mums arent doing too well recently are we!!!

You know your daughter best and if they had offered more help in the first place he wouldn't of been having that conversation with you!!!

I would definitely complain, how dare HE, what experience does he have in bf? You did the right thing, as you want a happy baby (and mummy)

OMG!!! what a stupid doctor!! You should definantly complain!!!

:hugs:

I am all for complaining but don't know how! What do you think I should do? Do I write a formal letter and post it to the surgery or is there some sort of NHS complaints procedure thingymajig? x

I would call your surgery and explain you would like to speak to the practice manager. They can tell you their procedure. Let us know how you get on.

Thats terrible!

I remember when I was admitted to hospital with gallstones when Jack was 3 weeks old, the Doc who treated me in A&E before I was admitted went on and on and on about why I wasn't breast feeding and how I could still switch to breast feeding etc .... I had gall stones, pancreatitus and a swollen liver (they weren't sure how I handn't collapsed) and he was bothering me about BFing?! It was Jack who couldn't latch on after he was born and then slept 12hrs solid without feeding at all and then his blood sugars dropped causing me to panic and demand a bottle of formula! People including health professionals really should keep their opinions to themselves because they never know the back story of why us Mum's don't do certain things.

It turned out for the best in the end that we FF because I was admitted a further 2 times before having surgery and each time Jack would've had to be admitted with me if I was BFing which I would've hated more than leaving him with Daddy & Nanny!

Next time i'm determined to BF :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back