Cannulas

babyem

Reaction score
Ok so I have a phobia of having to have a cannula..
I just wanted to know how many ladies had to have one during labour. It sounds silly but whenever anyone asks if I'm nervous I tell them I'm not that bothered about the labour, it's the thought of having a cannula that terrifies me!!! x

I hate to tell you this but I had one when I was in labour and it made me feel so ill, my son was in an incubator and I kept knocking it and tearing it out.
dammit had forgot all about that - not sure why you have one though dont think I was ever told.
Hope I dont have to have another this time they make me feel sick :(

Last edited:
I will ask them to put me 2... In case of emergency you need one fast to get meds, fluids to you, blood etc etc.
Usually during emergencies your veins collapsing making it hard or impossible to find one to put a canulla. Losing like that precious time and putting your life in danger.
That's the reason they put them there prophylactic...
It's hurts a little while they are putting it like a pinch but after that If it's put right you shouldn't feel it at all. If it hurts it's not placed ok and has to be taken out and put a new one

This is a big worry for me also, does everyone get one as standard?? I really hope not!! X

i had 3, but was induced with drip and needed antibiotics.

I tore out 2 and had another two during my labour but believe me you wont care!! I was petrified of it but I could have put my own one in by the time I had got out of hospital!!
xxx

I'm not bothered about it hurting, but I know that if I have one I'll be constantly looking and aware of it :( huhhhhh! x

I had to have one because, I had an epidural. They pop you onto a drip because you can dehydrate very easily when you have an epidural.

TBH I didn't feel the cannula at all, whether that was because it didn't hurt or because the sister who did it was very competant or because it was because I was in that much pain with the contractions I couldn't tell you. Only problem I had with was the tape wouldn't stay stuck down because my hands were that clammy :)

I have had one with my past 3 labours but they can put a gauze over it so you can't see it iykwim.
I'm not a massive fan of them but it doesn't bother me that much.
The ones in the back of the hand are a breeze after you've had the whopper that goes up your wrist for a blood transition (I've had that twice) x

I had one as I had a section, wasn't bothersome at all :)

im pretty sure they give everyone one incase of you needing any meds and having to get it into your blood quick had one all three of mine. i had to get sickness meds in mine during my section. its better than mutiple jabs if you need any meds.

Didn't have one until I was rushed the theater. Usually they won't do one unless it's needed or if you're high risk.

I had one, was induced via drip. In all honesty it really did hurt (not putting it in but after). You can always put magic cream on :)

x

I thought they were standard procedure in labour... :( just incase! I may be wrong tho... I don't really mind them.xx

i never had one but i had natural labour with just g n a x

It was never even mentioned to me but I had my kids in mw led unit so not something they would do anyway.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk 2

As far as I'm aware, the only time you'd need a cannula is
a) you have an epi in
b) you are being induced
c) vbac (they like to put in a "just in case cannula"
d) you are being given iv antibiotics

I could be wrong x

my sister had a natural labour but had one in. she didnt get antibiotics either.
also you dont need be high risk to get it.

I had one with an induction. I'm TERRoFIEzd of needles but told the dr to be.careful, earned them I might say dreadful things, but that I didnt mean it amd ther bandaged it up so they had access to it but I couldnt knock it etc....... want bad really but maybe ask for it to be covered x

I know I will have 2 possibly 3 now I have GD. I have just had one in for 4 days and you really do get used to having it in. They are quite neat unless you need to use it. Get them to strap it well so you won't worry about catching it on things. Your hand in my opinion I by far the most comfortable place to have it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back