Can I use this name...?

Crackers

Reaction score
I'm literally days from my due date and we're still undecided on names!

For a girl we have Joy Victoria/Joy Amelia (middle name undecided).

However, for a boy we quite like Rowan. My FILs name is Thomas, and it's a family name going back generations. OH would LOVE to call our baby Thomas, however...it's my boss's name! I'm a PA and worked for him for 7 years. Do you think it would be strange?
Personally I call my boss 'Tom' and would prob always call our LO 'Thomas' or 'Tommy' but still don't know if it'd be strange, especially in the office!!

Opinions? If we have a boy do we go for Thomas, or Rowan?

I think go for it if you both like the name. I think tommy is quite different from Tom anyway if that's what you end up calling lo x

Wow I love Joy , such an unused but classic name - lovely, and I love it with Victoria, as also less used and rolls together nicely, but both Victoria or Amelia are pretty names

I had Rowan on my list of names, love it, so i'm biased !! I had it on my girls list as unisex tho. I don't think that's odd about your boss, if you really like Thomas, go with what your heart says

Good luck with you birth, hope it's a lovely experiance XX

Last edited:
I've worked with a colleague called Emily for 8 years, this name is going on our list (although me have other's we prefer). She is actually more of a friend than a colleague though as we get on really well...

I don't think it's weird hun!

I like Thomas but we can't use that as my youngest nephew is a Tommy [and it really suits him!]

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

We both love Joy, it sort of came to us really early on and although we ended up with a shortlist of about 10, we've stuck with it.

Still undecided on Thomas v Rowan ...although to compromise I'd def have Thomas as a middle name! Hhmmm...got a few days to decide yet :-S ha ha!!

I was gonna say would your OH go for it as a middle name maybe, I think Rowan Thomas goes really well. I love both of those names :)

They're both lovely names. Just go for whatever you feel happiest with, or maybe the baby will look or feel more like a Rowan or Thomas which will make it easier!
If you'd feel uncomfortable calling him Thomas and it would never sit quite right then go with Rowan. Family names are great but sometimes they just don't work out. My OH and I both wanted a family name as a middle name for a boy, but because we can't have 2 middle names (long surname) we just took them both off the list.

It doesn't matter if I like a name or OH likes a name, if I know somebody with the same name whom I would not like my child named the same as I wouldn't use it, lol. We've had this in the past when DH will say what about this name - and I will say, oh no I know so and so called that or I went to school with someone called that and I didn't like them etc.

Could you maybe use Thomas as a middle name to keep the name in the family if you didn't use it for the first name?

I like Thomas over Rowan and dont think it would be wierd at all, tbh you'll always encounter someone or the other with the same name. If its a family tradition then go for it x

I like Amelia over Victoria
and Rowan as well
They are unusual and not as used as Thomas and Victoria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back