• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can i take anything

Scarlet06

Reaction score
Im smootherd in a cold, and my throat feels as though ive been swallowing sand paper.

Is there anything i can take apart from paracetamol, its driving me mad, i keep couphing and having a really flemy throat is making me gag all the time.

I had similar and the doctor said he couldn't give me anything, just to take paracetamol and drink Electrolade.

You can get it free on prescription in all flavours. It's full of the salts and minerals you need when you aren't well, kinda a boost.

How does it work?

Oral rehydration salts contain a variety of salts (electrolytes) and sugar. The combination of electrolytes and sugar stimulates water and electrolyte absorption from the gut. It therefore prevents or reverses dehydration and replaces lost salts in conditions such as diarrhoea and vomiting.
What is it used for?

Dehydration
Fluid and salt replacement in conditions such as sudden diarrhoea and vomiting
Severely low concentrations of salts in the blood (severe electrolyte depletion)
Warning!

To be used with care by individuals with diabetes. This is due to a high sugar content in the preparation (check the sugar content).
If diarrhoea persists for longer than 36 hours see the doctor.
Avoid dairy products for 24 to 48 hours after symptoms of diarrhoea have subsided. A normal diet should be resummed gradually.
The instructions on how to mix this preparation should be closely followed.
Use with caution in

Children less than 1 year of age
Imbalance of salt concentrations in the blood (electrolyte imbalance)
Severely decreased kidney function
Severely decreased liver function
Not to be used in

Kidney failure resulting in diminished production of urine
Kidney failure, preventing production of urine
Obstruction of the stomach or intestines
Reduced blood flow to vital internal organs (shock)
Severe and continous vomiting (intractable vomiting)
Severe dehydration
Severe diarrhoea in infants
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used during pregnancy.
There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used by breastfeeding mothers.
How can this medicine affect other medicines?

No significant interactions reported.

Looks like it's more for sickness sorry but that's what my doctor gave me.

i reccommend taking a nap and hoping that you will feel better when you wake up. It is miserable though, :hug:

when I saw my m/w Fri, I had a bad cold and she recommended, sleep.fluid,paracetomal annd eucalyptus such as olbas oil on your pillow etc :D

That Olbas Oil is also great to inhale in hot water, rather than just sniffing it on a tissue, works really well.

ive got a viks vapour bubble bath not sure if you can use it while preggers though, OH got it for me from the chemist as i hate taking pills (i gag on them :lol: )

hope you feel better soon
xxxxx

i suffered about a month ago and its horrible :hug:

paracetomal only im affraid, i was drinking lots of honey and lemon too which helped with my throat. i asked my pharmacy which are very good whether strepsils etc were allowed and they said should avoid them really when pg. they recommended olbas oil on the pillow too.

hope you feel better soon, get lots of fresh fruit and veg. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back