calpol before immunisations?

Tanya4beauty

Reaction score
Did any of you or would you recommend giving calpol before their injections? a couple of my friends said they did but i over woryy about everything lol!
Mia has her first set next wed xx

The nhs don't recommend it in the leaflet I got as they say it can stop the jabs being as effective. I gave calpol afterwards but only cos Albert's legs hurt. It's totally your choice hun xxxxxxxxx

My lo didnt react to the first two sets at all apart from being more sleepy.
They dont recommend it because you can only give calpol once every 4 hours and if you give a dose beforehand, it might wear off and id she gets a reaction, you wont be able to give her a dose.
Plus its not recommended before 3 months so i would wait and see

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I wouldn't give baby calpol before jabs for a number of reasons.
1) the nurse asses baby before jabs and calpol can hide symptoms which you may not see
2) if your baby reacts to jabs, you would ave to wait before being able to give another dose
I wouldn't give it to them straight after jabs either unless they are in need of it. My boy didn't react at all. Some babies do, some babies don't. Do you really want to put meds inside your baby even though they may not actually need it? Hope the jabs go ok. It's a horrible experience watching your baby being jabbed but it's over in seconds and they do forget about it. It's much worse for us mummies. I cried my eyes out lol!xx

I wouldn't give it beforehand either. Phoebe has never needed any after jabs she's been fine. So personally I would wait and see if they actually need it after and then it will be more effective x

Agree with Rach hun. Harlow only ever needed them on her 2nd set of jabs but her 1st jabs and 3rd she was happy as larry all day after them! X

I wouldn't give it before - I didn't need to give it with B as he was just sleepy x

i wouldn't beforehand especially for the 8week ones as at that age you can't give more than 2doses in 24hrs..if you've already given one and they get a temp you're very limited for the next 24hrs

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Thanks ladies, I wasn't keen to do it but most of my friends did and I wasn't sure. I don't like giving her anything especially as I have to give her so much medicine for her reflux anyway.
Will just see how she is bless her xx

My best friend gave her baby a dose of calpol after her injections the first 2 times and she was fine, then for the 3rd lot the nurse told her not to and so she didn't, then her baby got a fever afterwards and was quite unwell. Because of this I gave Brooke 1 dose after her 8 week injections and she was fine and I will probably do the same again even though the nurses don't recommend it.

I wouldnt give it before hand as was already said it might cover up symptoms but i wouldnt worry about giving it to her after.

She might not need it but if she does then im sure she will be fine with a dose of calpol. If she wouldnt be then they wouldnt be selling it & wouldnt let paracetamol be taken by pregnant women :) xx

Thanks girls. I think my friends gave it before to aid grumpy babies but I agree it's best to wait and see. Don't want to give medicine that isn't needed! Xx

I am a practice nurse and vaccinate lots of babies. The current advice is not to give calpol before the vaccinations as this can dampen the immune response, and to give calpol if required - eg fever. As others have said at this age you can only give 2 doses, so if you give 1 before you are limited to one afterwards. Also you may be giving your little one medicine unnecessarily, you wouldn't take paracetamol in case you got a headache! X

Jessica zonked out for 3/4 hours after her first set of jabs. I remember I hadn't planned anything for that day as I wasn't sure what was going to happen so sat about twiddling my thumbs for ages while she slept lol! It wasn't until about 8 hrs later that she became unusually grizzly and feeding/cuddles didn't help that I gave her calpol which really helped. My point is, like others have said, at 8 weeks if you've given her it beforehand as you are very limited with the amount of times she can have it, she ay not be allowed another dose by the time you really need it! Good luck, it is worse for the mummies than the babies I think...I dreaded it but all was fine so try not to worry too much xx

I never gave my LO it before. HV told me not to. An he was fine. Was a bit unsettled later on, and I gave him a half of the 25ml spoon he was allowed, and he was totally fine rest of day.
Defo just see how she gets on xxx

I never gave my LO it before. HV told me not to. An he was fine. Was a bit unsettled later on, and I gave him a half of the 25ml spoon he was allowed, and he was totally fine rest of day.
Defo just see how she gets on xxx

I did the same, only gave him half the allowed dose when he was proper grizzly and unsettled about 4 hours after his jabs. It settled him well and he slept the rest of the day. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back