C-section and coping with toddler

Bexie

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if there were any mums out there who had a c-section and also had a toddler. I am due a section in a few weeks and I'm really worried about how I'll cope with my DD who will be 22 months by then. She's a real mummy's girl and loves cuddling up to me, which is great, I'm just so worried about her accidently knocking my wound. I really don't want her to feel pushed out in any way and want to be able to offer her as many cuddles and reading time as I do now, without her feeling pushed away.

Any advice on how you coped would be really appreciated.

its gonna be hard hun im sure. has your OH or family got some time off to help you?

i can envisage a bit of clinginess with the new arrival and needing lots of love from mummy especailly, but i remember those first few weeks after a section they are so uncomfortable you'll have to be so careful.

sorry thats no use at all but i do sympathise :hug: get as much help as you can xx

Hi there, peoples csection experiences and recovery vary so much but if it any help ill tell you mine, which was very positive.
I had my planned section (4 months ago now) and i have a toddler too. (He was 2yrs 5 months at the time and fairly demanding)

After debating natural or section (after a bad emergency section 1st time) i went for the section. It was the best decsion i made as it was a wonderful experience, very calm and id actually love to do it all again! weird i know :wall:

I was in hosp for 3 days, 2 nights and missed my little boy but he and daddy spent most of the day with us in hosp too. I did also love the time on my own with my new little girl. :D

After the section i was fully 'with it' as this was something i had wondered about, i was a bit tired but visiting was limited so that was good! The next few days i was sore but it was totally bearable (with painkillers though). I was walking to the toliet the day after the section.

At home, i admit i perhaps did too much as it walking about etc (no housework though!). Though i never had any problems with my scar etc.
I involved my little boy by getting him to sit beside me for cuddles rather than lifting him. I was lifting him if needed by 2 weeks though but very carefully on my hip. I honestly felt pretty much back to myself by week 4/5. I was told that recovery is quicker after a planned section though.

just remember to Keep topping up your painkillers that they give you. (nurse told me that and it helped) I also had arnica tablets for healing.

Sorry for rambling on but i wanted to give you a positive side to a section as i thought i would not be able to care for my toddler and i could do much more than i anticipated.

I wouldnt hesitate to have another section in the future. Good luck hun. :hug:

Thanks Katie for your feedback. I also had a section with my DD due the same reasons (breech). I think what I'm dreading most are the times where she holds her arms up to me for me to carry her and give her a cuddle and not being able to do so. (I know I can get down to her level for a cuddle though). I'm trying to think of positive solutions to all types of scenarios, I really just want to ensure that she won't feel excluded in anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back