• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buying Second Hand?

CupcakeMummy

Reaction score
:wave:

Hi ladies.

I still have a year at least until I can start buying all that fun baby stuff, but I'm wondering.

How many of you have bought some baby stuff second hand?

My friends have jsut shelld out £1100 on a new iCandy peach, which I can't get my head around, when they limit themselves to Tesco Value cornflakes and baked beans etc. when shopping.

I had a quick look on pre-loved and there are like 5 iCandy/Bugaboo buggies in my area, complete from £250-£450.

Or models like Silver cross etc for even more amazing prices.

First time I've ever contemplated second hand stuff, but for a purchase like a pram, it seems to make pretty good sense.

What do you all think/have done when it comes to the big baby expenses?

e.g. Would you rather have a second hand top of the range, or a brand new more standard model?

There are just so many options!

Last edited:
we had our pram and cot bought for us by grand parents but I have bought the baby bouncer from ebay for £11 instead of £55 I think it makes sense to buy second hand and save your pennies esp if it has been looked after I am always scouting for stuff

i got most my stuff new, but i got the cheapest stuff i could find! i got a cot 2nd hand tho, but that was just given to me! i've had quite a few handmedown clothes too! i've sold on quite a bit of stuff to friends too! i dont think i'd buy 2nd hand unless i knew who it was coming from tho iykwim?

I'm all systems go for 2nd hand, I've picked up bits off my mates and stuff thst they are no longer using so have gratefully taken them off their hands, a lot of it free. In laws buying our pram but if it was me I'd buy cheap one or 2nd hand one. Cot I'll most likely get 2nd hand but buy a new matress, and clothes I'm bring given left right and centre. Just on the look out for major bargains for nursery stuff, like blankets I've got 8 and didn't pay more than £20 for them all, johnsons products £1 a bottle and wipes and nappies whenever they are on offer. Cheap and cheerful is the way forward! X

To be honest if I look at how little some of our bits have been used I would happily buy secondhand cos if it's looked after most of it's like new anyway

Olivers my first child and hes had everything from new no expense spared but i gotta admit OH has bought him most of items - Quinny Buzz pram, Cot, Matress, Maxi Cosi car seat, tommi tippee steriliser ect. I personally cudnt have afforded it whats a great first time Daddy! :lol: I have bought his clothes all brand new, his bouncer, moses basket, playgym/mat ect ect - the ONLY thing he has which is 2nd hand and the more i look at it the more i dont like it is the cot mobile! :roll: Its a big clumsy thing!

My first baby too but we have bought everything new like new baby clothes (well unisex ones) but we are being given a cot and moses basket (but buying new matresses and bedding) and we bought our pram second hand off of gumtree - perfect condition used for 2 months as a pushchair and saved us about £400!!!! Meant we can buy other stuff for baby like a baby monitor!!

I'm abit fussy when it comes to 2nd hand. I like to know where it's come from! I don't mind little man having laceys old stuff but I'm not so keen if I don't know where the stuff has been before!

Our pram is pretty much the only thing we are not getting second hand. All the furniture for the nursery is from ebay and most of the clothes and other bits and pieces have come from my SIL. I did get the pram from a seller on ebay who sells ex-mothercare demo models so it's not 100% new although not quite second hand.

Thnkas everyone, great to see what everyone's done. :)

I definitely agree with getting a new mattress for a cot etc, although have seen great offers on cots anyway, so unless I get offered one by someone I think it's easy enough to get a nice one for a reasonable price. :)

Which I like about getting a Bugagboo second hand is the carry cot/pram part will probably only have been used for a month or two, and you can buy new fleeces for the pushchair bit. Almost lends itself to re-use!

I think I will get a carseat from new for safetys sake. Unless as others have said, it's offered to me by someone I know who will have taken great care of it.

i agree, carseat shouldnt be bought second hand if you dont know who have had it before..

I'm not bothered about second hand stuff, but hubby doesn't even do second hand books, lol!! I think if we were given something by a friend that would be different, but I don't think he'd get stuff from a car boot. Tis a shame, cos we're not made of money. On the other hand, we haven't got the room to be buying loads of stuff, it may be that we dont' even have a cot for a long time.

Totally agree about the carseat too!!!! You can get some great deals on them if you shop around!!!

Some and some. There are a few things that maybe i would like new, like bibs, muslins, mattress, re-useable nappies and sheets, unless it was from close family or friends . Most other things i am opened minded and been getting a number of them second hand already.

On the other side of things, i am after a baby carriers, for those early months of going walking with the dogs in the wet mud. The one i have decided on, is making silly money on ebay and I have decided i might be better buying a new one and then selling it on ebay after i have finished with it.

I am shocked how much some people will pay for some of these second hand items and clearly haven't checked how much they would be new. On the other side of things we have also had a few bargins on ebay ;)

Countrybumpkin - my best mate has given me her push chair whech is just going to be used at the yard to be honest, at least I can ride and deal with wet mud and not get my nice pram dirty! And with the dogs at the yard, going to be much easier to have separate pushchair! X

Flexilexi394, thats what we are doing have a second, 2nd hand pram for around the yard so it can get as dirty as it likes ;) . Also means i can park it outside the school whilst working my youngster as OH will only be in looking distance so can keep an eye on us both. Just need to adaoped the wheel barrow to push the pram, LOL, only joking, in case someone thinks i am not. I think at home around the yard will be where the pram will be used the most. Not one for shopping really, unless i have too.

I know how wet it gets across the fields when it has been rain in the winter, i don't think even the best of the best prams would be good enough to walk the dogs across them. Thought the carrier would mean we can all still get out in the fresh air even in the winter, and help burn off those extra calories quicker ;)

Lol yep you know that! Bonus side of living on a farm-we have to work verrrrry hard through the winter, baby in tow! Yeah wheelbarrows should have an adaption for babies! Lol. Can't wait to have baby on yard, got a Shetland so he/she can have thst once old enough to sit up! Haha x

A baby on a shetland is such a double-adorable mental image!

I have been banded from looking at smaller ponies and told it can ride one of my bigger ponies :oooo::whistle: . We will see :dance:

You so need a cute pony or shetland for a little one!! If you have a girl a haflinger is such a cute pony for a kid!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back