Must haves for Mum and Baby???

crystabell

Reaction score
Hi,

I know it is still early in my pregnancy as I am just under half way through but I am looking to go shopping so I am prepared for when the baby is due. I was just wondering if someone could give any advice on what to look for when I go shopping such as:

- what medicines or creams are essential to have i.e for nappy rash, colic etc
- what do I need if I am looking to breastfeed i.e breast pads, nursing bras etc
- Also what toiletries are good to have around the house?

I have a bit of an idea about what I would need when breastfeeding and a few toiletries but I want to have everything in the house ready for when the baby arrives home. If any could give me any tips on what they bought when they had their little one or what you have bought for a baby that is due it would be brilliant :D :D

Thanks
Crystal xx

I wouldn't necsessarily buy any mediceines yet...I got paracetamol on ox for D's first inections at 2 months you don't use calpol other than injections till they are 3 months old

breastfeeding

breastpads..i like johnsons above any others i haqve tried but it is personal prefernece

get some lansinoh cream for cracked nipples bestter to have and not need
buy minimal nursing bras until your milk comes in and get them as late as you can in pregnacy
for expressing hand or electirc pump but if you have a surestart centre near you ours sell electric pumps for 20 pounds..I had a couple of back to nature bottles and that is all i have ever used.

toilettries

I had loads of nappies get them on offer you always use them but don't get too many of one size
wipes i just used cotton woll balls and warm water for first two months but they keep so worth getting them on BOGOF
for washing i got some baby bath and all over body and hair wash

they advise against talc these days as it can get on the lungs

Loads of maternity pads- you dont realise how much you are gonna need. I used over 100 in 3 weeks (how long it took me to stop bleeding). also big knickers you dont mind ruining lol

Thanks for your reply its been a great help to me. I will have to try Johnsons breastpads and see how they go for me, if not I can then get a variety to try. I have heard a couple people saying that lansinoh cream is really good. I feel like a novice at the moment so I am trying to get info off people so I know I have things ready.

I have had a look at some toiletries but was not sure what to buy. I have seen in one of my pregnancy books that cotton wools balls and warm water is a good way to clean the baby so I will have to buy some of those.

I was interested when you mentioned not to buy talc as I thought talc would be very useful to have in. I have just been reading up on it though and I am so glad that you told me that as I was shocked to hear the effects of using talc on us but especially babies!!! :shock: I think it should be a well known fact for all mothers and expectant mothers too!!!

Thank you
Crystal xx

Thanks for that link Valentine it is really useful to see what people have thought is the best and worst buys. I think I will have to have a good read of it and then I can make a list of what I need to buy

tangerinedream said:
Loads of maternity pads- you dont realise how much you are gonna need. I used over 100 in 3 weeks (how long it took me to stop bleeding). also big knickers you dont mind ruining lol

i used maternity briefs and i only bought 2 packets of maternity pads. as tehy was on offer with breast pads but didnt need them. lol did leak except getting out shower.

LOTS of cotton wool (LO doesn't really need bubble baths and oils for the first month or so, but it's up to you if you choose to use them :) ) Only thing I used on Isaac was olive oil for his flaky skin, and Metanium, which is strong but works real fast on any soreness on LO's bum bits. Calpol, may come in useful after LO's first injections.

I'd say buy at least 2 good breastfeeding bra's, but don't get measured until around 36wks, as that's best time to tell what size you'll be after the birth. Go see them at M&S as they are really helpful and will measure you correctly. I used Sainsbury's own breast pads and on a very leaky day they were useless, so I'd suggest bulk buy some cheapies, then a couple boxes of the thicker, better quality Johnson ones, for when going out especially :hug:

We have Milton hand gel so if we've just took out the rubbish or been to the toilet, we can wash ours hands then use the gel to make extra sure there's nothing on our hands (this could be classed as extreme but in the early days it reassured us :) ) I have loads of sanitary towels left as didn't bleed much or for long, but worth investing in some, Boots own were nice and big and soft.

Very best wishes crystabell :hug:

when pregnant last few weeks as mine was 8days late i bought boots expert baby sensitive moisterising bath and cream cause its suitable for newborns and with eczema and dry skin. she has dry skin. got one for vath too think its boots product from same range. she has dryness on her head. from forehead backwards but not all the way back. hv said to use a mild shampoo so i bought the other day johnsons baby top to toe wash u get a free sample anyway. i have a bigger bottle too :p ive got one from the boots range same make that u can pour under running tap or pour into baby bath and slosh it around. id buy some cotton wool balls cause hosp prefer u to use those in there to clean your babys areas.

Redshoes said:
We have Milton hand gel so if we've just took out the rubbish or been to the toilet, we can wash ours hands then use the gel to make extra sure there's nothing on our hands (this could be classed as extreme but in the early days it reassured us :) )

Jake has had conjunctivitus on and off since he was born. For the last 2 weeks I have been putting the alcohol gel on my hands when i give him his eye drops and I think this may be helping as the infection does seem a lot milder than before.

ive never bothered with any toiletries for our little one, even at 6 months old we still clean her nappy with cotton wool and water. We've also never used any lotions any potions when she gets a bath appart from a tiny drop of baby bath to wash her hair and thats it, no creams or oils etc.

as the others have said id definatly recommend you get plenty of sanitary towels as you'll probably bleeding for at least a month after birth, also breast pads to stop the leaking and lots of cheapie pants you dont mind throwing away.

Plus can i also say you might want to buy yourself some painkillers (something maybe a bit stronger than paracetamol ,like co-codamol) because i found all my muscles were very sore for a few days after birth, like i hade done a really hard work out but felt it all over my body.

:D

edit: sorry just read redshoes post and totally agree with the milton handwash, its excellent if your in a hurry without having to go wash your hands, i would highly recommend that too.

I though that Boots ultra slim breast pads were the best out of the ones I tried. Make sure that you have plenty of breast pads and sanitary towels as you will go through quite a few. I would also buy some sudocrem, cotton wool, baby wipes, nappies, (although not too many of the same size), nappy bags, baby bath and shampoo. If you do buy medicine you won't beable to use it until your LO is 2 months old anyway. I used Calpol at first but then realised it contains loads of artificial colours and stuff so I now use either Medised or another liqiuid paracetamol that contains no additives. If you do buy something other than Calpol though then check it can be used from 2 months as alot of them say 3 months. I wouldn't bother buying Infacol yet or any other colic treatment as your little one might not get colic. I know others have said that they advise againts using talc but I have always used it sparingly on Jake as it makes sure he is dry properly and stops him getting sore in his creases. I was told by Mothercare that they will measure you for a bra 2 weeks before your due date so you won't beable to buy that yet. You can buy lots of big comfy granny knickers though :lol: You could also buy some baby nail scissors, bath sponges, a bath thermometer, and a room thermometer(I have a Grobag egg) if you havn't already got them.

THESE ARE THE BREAST PADS I THOUGHT WERE THE BEST
http://www.boots.com/shop/product_detai ... id=1048045

CALPOL CONTAINS THIS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E122

GROBAG EGG
http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

I would definitely recommend disposable underwear from mothercare, that way you wont worry about ruining all your underwear, and lots of packs of maternity pads. I only took one pack into hospital and used them all in a day so had to send a friend out to buy more!

It seems to me a parent can't really win when it comes to medicines. I checked out about Calpol and Medised but they are as bad as each other although the E number in Medised is a preservative whereas in Calpol it is just so that it is pretty for the children to look at. I found this link and I was shocked :shock: :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

crystabell said:
It seems to me a parent can't really win when it comes to medicines. I checked out about Calpol and Medised but they are as bad as each other although the E number in Medised is a preservative whereas in Calpol it is just so that it is pretty for the children to look at. I found this link and I was shocked :shock: :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

It is really bad that medicine for children contains so much crap. If you look and www.wikipedia.com you can type in any E number and it will tell you about it. I have typed in all of the E numbers in Medised and as far as I can see it doesn't say any of them can be dangerous like it does with the colouring E number in Calpol. I have got another medicine which is called Medinol and was prescribed when Jake was poorly by my Doctor. I have just looked it up and found that it contains Sodium Cyclamate which I have put a link about below. I think I will have to stick with Medised for the time being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_cyclamate

tbh we didnt use any toiletries for the first month we only used water on millie, while she was so new we thought her skin would be very sensitive.
we did use sudocreme when her bum looked slightly red. get some olive oil from the chemists as newborns get flakey skin and it helps.
for urself get lotsa breastpads and lotsa maternity pads.
umm cant think of anything else atm lol

get some olive oil from the chemists as newborns get flakey skin and it helps

i poured some into a container out of our kitchen bottle :rotfl:

Olive oil did nothing for my daughter when she had bad skin and i mean it was so bad it looked like scales.
I was advised o get some camoile gel (johnsons) and used that on her and within a week the results were amazing - it was nearly gone. And it smelt nice and wasnt greasy.

this is a tip I would not be without - my midwife suggested it. If you are sore after birth (down there) or if you have stitches bath regularly obviously but add three/four drops of tea tree oil and three-four drops lavender oil to a shallow bath. My initial thoughts were that this would not work but I was so impressed - it really helps. I personally like using more than three-four drops and for really sore days I would put the drops on a rolled up flannel in the bath and sit on it. I am not sure if the same applies for post c-section stitches so would not recommend.

I have found Sudocrem to be really effective for clearing up any redness on baby's bum, you only need a tiny bit so it's really economical.
I would buy Johnson's breastpads - or any thick ones that have an adhesive strip on the back as some of the cheaper ones don't and they can crumple up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back