A few silly questions...

nori

Reaction score
OK..

1. How many Newborn Nappies should i buy to get started with? Also.. are the shops own brand ones just as good as huggies and pampers?

2. How many maternity pads should i buy.. I only have 20. This should be enough for the hospital stay shouldnt it?

3. What are nipple shields used for? Do i need them if breastfeeding?

4. I have a bath support for the baby but should i use a baby bath first?

I think thats it for now..

Thanks!!

Claire x

1. How many Newborn Nappies should i buy to get started with? Also.. are the shops own brand ones just as good as huggies and pampers? I went through a pack every other day. Breastfed babies can either poo 3 times a day or every other day. I had the 3 or 4 time baby! I started with Pampers but found Asda just as good, and you get more in a pack for less!!! Save more money and get more nappies. I wish i started with them!

2. How many maternity pads should i buy.. I only have 20. This should be enough for the hospital stay shouldnt it? I went through 2 packs (around 20) of maternity pads in the 48 hours in hospital. So you should be fine. Or get a spare pack just in case, or someone can bring you some if running low.

3. What are nipple shields used for? Do i need them if breastfeeding? I never used nipple shields. They try and recommend not using unless absolutely necessary. I've done well without.

4. I have a bath support for the baby but should i use a baby bath first? I found it easier with a baby bath to start with. Saves your back leaning over your own bath. I bought my baby bath from Asda £2.47! Bargain for the short time using it. But it very easy to start with. I always did it in the comfort of the living room where it's warmer and more room to spread out your bits and bobs.

Hope this helps.

nori said:
OK..

1. How many Newborn Nappies should i buy to get started with? Also.. are the shops own brand ones just as good as huggies and pampers?

2. How many maternity pads should i buy.. I only have 20. This should be enough for the hospital stay shouldnt it?

Thanks!!

Claire x

1: i would only get 3/4 packs of the first size to start with hun as the grow out of them quickly, i found boots own to be great in the newborn sizes plus they are cheaper,

2: i would get a few more packs of them hun i went threw 10 in a few hours as i was using 3 a time just after having him for a couple days then i moved onto the thinner ones :)

3:sorry i dint breastfeed so cant help you

4: a bath suport will be fine if it says from birth, we had a bath seat thing but thomas would slide in it as he wasnt really heavy enough so we ended up just laying him down in an inch of water and washing him that way, now he baths with hubby :)

xx

I was advised to only buy a couple packs as they grow out of newborn size and move to the next size quickly but we're still using the 1st newborn size and he's 5 weeks old now so I'd get more if you can as we go through alot each day so ended up buting alot more. And get good ones as otherwise you may find they leak, we've stopped using huggies as he ended up leaking all over matress twice in them now so sticking with pampers!

Get about 4/5 packs as getting out to buy more is gonna be hard when you get home and its not really something you can do without during those 1st few days, 20 is enough for hospital bag though i think.

I use these as my baby couldnt latch onto nipple and had to be bottle fed so the nipple shields enable me to now breastfeed as he's used to the teat feel and can latch onto the shield on my breast. Their main use is for if you have sore nippples and need a break when breastfeeding.

We bought a baby bath but it had a hole in when we took it out ther box to use it the 1st time! So we ended up using the washing up bowl which worked just as well!

Hope this helps!xx

Ok going to answer your questions under your questions.

Stock up well on these, since Harleigh has been born which is 3 weeks ago I've so far got through about 4 - 5 packs of nappies and she's going to be in them for a few more weeks yet but then I give birth to tiny babies, she was 6lb 6oz at birth so it kind of depends how big your baby is going to be. I'd buy one or two packs for the birth and see how big baby is. Regarding brands, I orrigionly brought pampers newborn for Harleigh but the other week I decided to give boots newborn brand a try and to be honest they have no mark on Pampers, don't hold well at all and they're there now for emergencys only.

I went through one pack of boots maternity pads in less than 24 hrs so take quite a few in with you. Depends how long you stay in hospital but on the next day of giving birth by lunch time I was asking the hospital for pads as I'd run out.

Hmm not sure but yes for breastfeeding I believe and I believe they're to help protect your nipples from getting sore.

I think this is down to personal preference, you can use some bath supports from birth.

1. I bought 6 packs of size 1 nappies and had to buy about anotehr 3 packs but Maia was big at birth 8lb 13 so it depends on how big your baby will be. I would get a few packs in then you can always buy more once those run out. I have only used Pampers & Huggies so far, but huggies size 2 were rubbish, think others onhere have ad problems with them leaking as well.

2. This one is tricky to determine how many you will need because it depends on a number of things. If your waters go at home then you will need loads, luckily mine went in hospital and I went through about 30 pads that were supplied by them, so you wont really need any whilst you are there but worthwhile checking with your hospital just to make sure. Once at home I went through about 60 in total, I had a section and bled for quite a while afterwards but I also used normal sanitary pads as well once the flow was not so heavy. I found Tesco to be the best, mothercare the worst and I tried a few varieties!! I would get at least 4/5 packs then if needed you can buy more.

3. I dont think its necessary to buy these because you might get on fine without them, save your money and if you do find you need them then send OH out to get you some, im sure he'd love a shopping trip for nipple sheilds all by himself :lol:

4. Bath support is your own preference, double check you can use it from birth before you decide which option you prefer.

nori said:

I'd get a large pack or a couple of small ones of various brands. We used the Nature ones in the early days, Pampers and Huggies. Huggies we found useless as LO used to leak out of them. Pampers were great. Nature ones didn't last so long. So don't buy masses of one make only incase they don't suit your baby. Get a small pack of each till you find one that suits. Also one size of one brand might be great, but the next size up awful. Its trial and error. Tesco ones are pretty good but I found them very baggy under baby and an odd shape when on.

nori said:

I got 3 packs and got through them in a few days. I'd say 3-4 packs minimum, but take 2 packs for hossies and get someone to bring in more if you need them.

nori said:

Chances are you won't need them. Give it a go and see if you can manage without I'd say. I've never needed or used them. Nor did I buy them. They can get you over a hump but I'd not want to use them long term. Plus if you can get your nipples to toughen up then do so. It may be painful but many women can get past it and continue to BF successfully.

Read this on them http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breast ... ldsexpert/

nori said:

Hmmm. Not sure. TBH we either use the Tummy tub or take LO into the bath with one of us. Plus I don't go for bathing newborn baby. We didn't bath Galen till he was about 10 days old. Topped and tailed him till then. I don't like the small lie down baths for small babies. I find them a pain to use. Does it state what age a bath support can be used from? Maybe give it a few weeks till LO is a bit bigger.?

nori said:
OK..

Thanks!!

Claire x

1. I would say buy about 4 packs of new born. They need changed a lot in the first few weeks but they grow out of the newborn size very quickly. I would recommend Tesco own brand for the first few weeks. You get a lot more for your money and are just as good.

2. I think I took about 3 packs into the hospital for a 48 hour stay and used all of them. I was wearing 2 at a time for the first 2 days and then went on to night time sanitary towels.

3. Don't have any experience of them.....sorry I can't help.

4. I used a baby bath that had a hamock thing inside it for new borns. I bought it from Argos and still use the bath part every morning.

I'd just buy a couple of pack of newborn nappies- a) it'll be an excuse for you to get out when they run low and b) your baby may not fit them for very long. It's a case of trial and error with nappies- what leaks on one baby might be great on another.

I didn't use maternity pads- just super absorbant sanitary towels which I changed evry hour because I hated them so much! 20 will be fine for the hospital stay but make sure you have loads stocked up at home

Nipple shields are useful if you have sore/cracked nipples. Don't buy them til you need them- I picked some up at the local chemist about day 10 when my nipples were bleeding and hadn't toughened up! :(

We used the washing up bowl or baby bath from day 11 to 4 weeks and then Evie goes in the main bath. Like sherlock I didn't bath Evie til she was 10 days (I waited for her cord to fall off)

I would buy shop brand at first but i do think as they grow then i have found pampers much better much more absorbent

i found the thick ones to be much better.

i never needed breastfeeding

didn't use one...i used a baby bath and that was great

Thanks!!

Claire x

Ok going to answer your questions under your questions.

Stock up well on these, since Harleigh has been born which is 3 weeks ago I've so far got through about 4 - 5 packs of nappies and she's going to be in them for a few more weeks yet but then I give birth to tiny babies, she was 6lb 6oz at birth so it kind of depends how big your baby is going to be. I'd buy one or two packs for the birth and see how big baby is. Regarding brands, I orrigionly brought pampers newborn for Harleigh but the other week I decided to give boots newborn brand a try and to be honest they have no mark on Pampers, don't hold well at all and they're there now for emergencys only.

I went through one pack of boots maternity pads in less than 24 hrs so take quite a few in with you. Depends how long you stay in hospital but on the next day of giving birth by lunch time I was asking the hospital for pads as I'd run out.

Hmm not sure but yes for breastfeeding I believe and I believe they're to help protect your nipples from getting sore.

I think this is down to personal preference, you can use some bath supports from birth.

1. I bought 6 packs of size 1 nappies and had to buy about anotehr 3 packs but Maia was big at birth 8lb 13 so it depends on how big your baby will be. I would get a few packs in then you can always buy more once those run out. I have only used Pampers & Huggies so far, but huggies size 2 were rubbish, think others onhere have ad problems with them leaking as well.

2. This one is tricky to determine how many you will need because it depends on a number of things. If your waters go at home then you will need loads, luckily mine went in hospital and I went through about 30 pads that were supplied by them, so you wont really need any whilst you are there but worthwhile checking with your hospital just to make sure. Once at home I went through about 60 in total, I had a section and bled for quite a while afterwards but I also used normal sanitary pads as well once the flow was not so heavy. I found Tesco to be the best, mothercare the worst and I tried a few varieties!! I would get at least 4/5 packs then if needed you can buy more.

3. I dont think its necessary to buy these because you might get on fine without them, save your money and if you do find you need them then send OH out to get you some, im sure he'd love a shopping trip for nipple sheilds all by himself :lol:

4. Bath support is your own preference, double check you can use it from birth before you decide which option you prefer.

nori said:

I'd get a large pack or a couple of small ones of various brands. We used the Nature ones in the early days, Pampers and Huggies. Huggies we found useless as LO used to leak out of them. Pampers were great. Nature ones didn't last so long. So don't buy masses of one make only incase they don't suit your baby. Get a small pack of each till you find one that suits. Also one size of one brand might be great, but the next size up awful. Its trial and error. Tesco ones are pretty good but I found them very baggy under baby and an odd shape when on.

nori said:

I got 3 packs and got through them in a few days. I'd say 3-4 packs minimum, but take 2 packs for hossies and get someone to bring in more if you need them.

nori said:

Chances are you won't need them. Give it a go and see if you can manage without I'd say. I've never needed or used them. Nor did I buy them. They can get you over a hump but I'd not want to use them long term. Plus if you can get your nipples to toughen up then do so. It may be painful but many women can get past it and continue to BF successfully.

Read this on them http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breast ... ldsexpert/

nori said:

Hmmm. Not sure. TBH we either use the Tummy tub or take LO into the bath with one of us. Plus I don't go for bathing newborn baby. We didn't bath Galen till he was about 10 days old. Topped and tailed him till then. I don't like the small lie down baths for small babies. I find them a pain to use. Does it state what age a bath support can be used from? Maybe give it a few weeks till LO is a bit bigger.?

nori said:
OK..

Thanks!!

Claire x

1. I would say buy about 4 packs of new born. They need changed a lot in the first few weeks but they grow out of the newborn size very quickly. I would recommend Tesco own brand for the first few weeks. You get a lot more for your money and are just as good.

2. I think I took about 3 packs into the hospital for a 48 hour stay and used all of them. I was wearing 2 at a time for the first 2 days and then went on to night time sanitary towels.

3. Don't have any experience of them.....sorry I can't help.

4. I used a baby bath that had a hamock thing inside it for new borns. I bought it from Argos and still use the bath part every morning.

I'd just buy a couple of pack of newborn nappies- a) it'll be an excuse for you to get out when they run low and b) your baby may not fit them for very long. It's a case of trial and error with nappies- what leaks on one baby might be great on another.

I didn't use maternity pads- just super absorbant sanitary towels which I changed evry hour because I hated them so much! 20 will be fine for the hospital stay but make sure you have loads stocked up at home

Nipple shields are useful if you have sore/cracked nipples. Don't buy them til you need them- I picked some up at the local chemist about day 10 when my nipples were bleeding and hadn't toughened up! :(

We used the washing up bowl or baby bath from day 11 to 4 weeks and then Evie goes in the main bath. Like sherlock I didn't bath Evie til she was 10 days (I waited for her cord to fall off)

I would buy shop brand at first but i do think as they grow then i have found pampers much better much more absorbent

i found the thick ones to be much better.

i never needed breastfeeding

didn't use one...i used a baby bath and that was great

Thanks!!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member